Notices

Defective gt3076r

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective gt3076r

*cliffs at bottom

ok so here is my sob story / delema. I used to have a garrett t3/t4 .48 on a stock gsr and loved the setup (310hp/220tq on 93). Well I decided to repaint the car so when I did that I pulled the motor out and decided to rebuild the motor and get a new turbo. After figuring out what I wanted out of the motor I decided a new garrett gt 3076r .82ar would be the best one for my application. I purchased a brand new turbo from a reputable dealer and then after completing the motor build I had the engine and turbo sitting on an engine stand waiting for the chassis. Well paint and body turned into another problem all together needless to say a year and half later I got the chassis back and she looks flawless. So we bolt the motor in and my tuner starts drive the car and data logging and everything seems great till we hit the dyno. After about the 7/8 dyno pull we heard a strange noise come from the tubo so pulled the intake pipe off and look at the blades and could see them wigglin around inside the turbo so we shut the car down and pulled the turbo off and apart to find out that the blades had rubbed on the compressor and exhaust housing. I spoke with the dealer I purchased it from and he was very helpfull due to the fact I had purchased the turbo 1 1/2 years ago so I decided to try and repair the center cartredge thru the exchange program garrett offers thru and authorized dealers via there site. I spoke with Tial and the techs there were very helpfull and had great customers service but could not help me due to not having any parts instock for my turbo and the parts had been on backorder for a couple of months now so I called another deal that was listed on garretts site, ATP turbo. I called them and told them the deal and they said they had the parts I needed instock so I overnighted the cartiredge to them and they told me it would take a week to repair. A week later I called atp to get a trac# for the shippment and they told me "Oh its not fixed cus we dont have the parts instock but we will have them tomorrow." I call them the next day and they dont have the parts and have no eta on when the parts well be in. I finally found out the parts have been backordered from garrett for over 2 months. So I decided to buy another brand new turbo again...but lucky me I cant even find a gt3076r with anti surge housing instock for a good price cus everthing is backordered or people or switching away from garrett to other brands. So what Im trying to figure out now is to still keep lookin for gt3076r or switch to a comprable turbo from another manufactuer. I have a neukin ramhorn mani and also a full size fludyne rad. so whatever I get needs to be close the same size and the 3076 to be able to fit without hitting or rubbin the rad. and also have t3 housing to bolt up to my mani it would be also nice to find something to fit the dp also. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

*cliffs
built motor and purchased turbo and sat on engine stand awaiting painted chassis.
paint took 1 1/2 years to complete =(
defective turbo out the box out of warranty due to being purchased 1 1/2 years ago *cry
sent turbo in for repair wasted more time and money....turbo still not repaired lol
tried to purchase another new gt3076r w/ anti surge unable to find 1 decently priced
in the market for new turbo
not sure of where to go now....open to suggestions

**I would like to thank tunedbylorange for all the hard work and also Tial for great customer service, also b18bturbo for being very helpful and good customer service.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Defective gt3076r

You could always try a Precision equivalent. I know quite a few Garrett distributors, tomorrow I can see if I can find you a 30R in stock, or a replacement CHRA.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'll see what I can do as well. the original GT3076R or the GT3000 equivalent.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my turbo (3076) sat in a box for over 1.5 years with no problems, took it out and cranked it up and still has not given me an problems to this day. Do you have all the correct lines?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you know what the exact cause of the failure was? would suck to pay for another turbo and get the same result. I have never heard of anything like that happening with any of the GTXXR turbos unless the wrong size oil restrictor is used/no water lines/etc...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM

This is true. If the turbo was not stored properly in the meantime (properly lubed, with tape over the drain and feed) not using the correct restrictors, drain line, or fittings, could cause a lot of damage as well.

You may also want to look at the way the setup was installed to address issues before you invest in your 3rd turbocharger.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try fp performance just throwing that out there
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and why are ppl swicthing away from garrett and why are the 3076r so had to source
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM

I don't think people are just turned off by Garrett or anything, there are just other options available to the public now that weren't before. I remember when Garrett didn't even Sell to dealers or the public. You had to go through Allied signal, turbonetics or use some OEM truck application to get one.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar situation happen just recently with a customer of mine with a turbo D17A... The failure was exactly like you've mentioned, but it didn't happen on the dyno. It happened within the next hour the car left the dyno when the customer was on his way home. He didn't even get into boost at all because he had a bad wheel bearing and the alignment was off.

The failure was identical, with slight noise from the turbo, and then the comp wheel was scraping the housing. It was a total bearing failure.

Let's just say I am in the midst of going through the headaches, and the customer is a very decent guy and I won't want him to pay for all the loss labour and dyno time. What a mess.

These newer Garrett turbos are really pissing me off. I had such good luck with the earlier units on my own cars and ran them for 5+ years without a problem. F*ck, my GT4088R went on 4 different cars in the span of 6 years and 2 blown motors and the turbo is still kickin'.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Tony, I've noticed that too over the last couple of years.. People still ask me why on the Time Attack car or some subsequent cars I won't change turbo in the GT-R series; its because I'm not sure what's going to happen if I do. I'm to a point I want something rebuildable Just In Case. Maybe that's why I've been coming up w/ GT series journal alternatives so that we don't scare ourselves into not using ANYTHING.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me just say i luv my both my garrett turbos. my old t3/t4 never did me wrong and while the gt3076 was workin man it was impressive and the turbo was stored properly also installed properly no worries there. i am really confident that it was just one of fluke things right out the box just one of those things.

Last edited by orion840; 12-13-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Understood. what was exactly the application this was on? What was the purpose of the car?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the late update guys my computer craped out on me. No biggie im gettin a laptop for christmas.

So i finally got my center section back from atp turbo. I'd just like to thank atp turbo for wastin more of my time and money. Thanks guys ur a class act =(

So my tuner asked if i mind if took the center section apart to see if we could find a point of faliure and we sure did. Well it seems that there was never a line machiend to allow any oil into the turbo so the turbo was bad right out the box. So the turbo ran a lil over 100 miles and did 8 wot dyno pulls makin over 400hp without a drop of oil pretty impressive to bad i cant say the same for garett's quality control it seems to be subpar to say the least.

I will post pics in the next few day once i get my laptop all set up
Old 12-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id like to see this, ive had my 35R completely disassembled so i know what your talking about.. you should talk to garrett and see what they can do obviously it wasnt your fault
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by orion840
Sorry for the late update guys my computer craped out on me. No biggie im gettin a laptop for christmas.

So i finally got my center section back from atp turbo. I'd just like to thank atp turbo for wastin more of my time and money. Thanks guys ur a class act =(

So my tuner asked if i mind if took the center section apart to see if we could find a point of faliure and we sure did. Well it seems that there was never a line machiend to allow any oil into the turbo so the turbo was bad right out the box. So the turbo ran a lil over 100 miles and did 8 wot dyno pulls makin over 400hp without a drop of oil pretty impressive to bad i cant say the same for garett's quality control it seems to be subpar to say the least.

I will post pics in the next few day once i get my laptop all set up
ATP usually takes care of people better than that. Call Blouch and see what they can do to help.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i do decide to send it to another of garrett's vendors it will be Tial

I forgot to thank tial for all there help and killer customer service...thanks guys
Old 12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just an update i ordered a new turbo last week it should be here soon i ordered a presecison sc6057s with billet wheel and ported schroued...should be here shortly

also should be getting pics up next week on the defective 3076r
Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good choice on the turbo, the smaller billet stuff from PTE is great.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so here are the pics i promised clearly showing the lack of tapped oil passedge

this is inside the center section

here is a pic of where the oil line hooks up we took a small peace of wire to show that not will push thru

here is another pic shown the lack of a hole tapped to allow oil to flow thru

here is a pic shown some of the bearings. the burned up ones are on the exhaust side. my tuner said that the just fell out when he was takin it apart and that some of them are mishapen....lack of oil go figure

and how bout a vid on my baby on the dyno doin a 380 or 400 pull with not a drop of oil in the turbo.....enjoy
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=VID00017.flv
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by orion840
you can pull that oil restrictor out with an allen wrench you know. might help you further investigate, also that looks like it might be thicker than the restrictor opening(obviously smaller than the allen wrench though).
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got my new turbo installed today...should be hitting the dyno tomorrow
pics and vids to follow
Old 01-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so has anybody else seen this before on any of the other turbos from garrett?

i would still like to see if i can get these pics to garrett to see if they might wanna be cool and repair the turbo at no charge since it was bunk out the box

i wont give garrett another dime of my money but if they wanna be a stand up company like i thought they where when i purchased it then maybe they can hook me up altough i wont hold my breath =(
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a shitty deal right there. they will probably tell you theres nothing they can do for you because you disassembled the turbo yourself or some other excuse.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what will u do with that turbo now? sell it? give it away? i would like to take a wack at it

Quick Reply: Defective gt3076r