Notices

Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup

Hello everyone. I am a new user at honda-tech.com and was refered to this site from a local site here in Tampa, FL... www.tamparacing.com I posted a topic regarding a set-up I am considering for my daily driven 94 Acura Integra LS. At first I opted to do a H22a swap because of the price and reliablitly...but after debating between a N/A setup or forced induction..I was swayed towards FI. Then I debated between Turbo or Supercharger. After that debate, Turbo appears to be the way Im heading. Now, I first thought of going with the F-Max turbo setup because of their claim to be a "true" bolt-on kit, but again, after debating and looking around, I am open to all options. And after reviewing this site, it appears I might get a "Better than average" deal on a DRAG kit . What I am trying to do is simple...I want to be able to self install a turbo kit without any modification to my engine bay(want to keep factory parts), and be able to run on stock internals. With this set-up, I simply want it for myself. No racing...no dragging..no showing out...just a little bit of get-up and go. Because of the ease of install and the offering of a detenation management system, I first chose F-Max. If Ben from Drag reads this post, or anyone who has good, honest advice on the best possible set-up(from turbo size, type, intercooler, bov, etc..) for MY situation, I am open to all and any suggestions. I wanted to be able to boost around 8-9 psi, on stock internals, as well as add some type of engine management system yet now break the bank. Eventually, I will add the hondata setup to my car because of the package I can get on one. But for now, simply want something to mess around with. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (RiceBurner98SC)

I want to be able to self install a turbo kit without any modification to my engine bay(want to keep factory parts), and be able to run on stock internals. With this set-up, I simply want it for myself. No racing...no dragging..no showing out...just a little bit of get-up and go.
You may want to consider the Greddy kit
Old 01-06-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (KC GSR)

I am considering the GReddy Kit...but from what some people have told me, for a little bit more money, I could get SO much more with a better kit..F-Max, DRAG, RevHard. Now, rather this is true...I don't know. Now grant it, if the GReddy kit is ALL I need, then I might just go that route, but IF I can get more bang for the buck with a different kit, what should I do. And after reading the various manufactuer sites, it seems like GReddy offers the LEAST for the same price as the other kits offer. Any opinions?

[Modified by RiceBurner98SC, 9:28 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 07:08 PM

F-max= I heard the extra injectors sux cause it sprays fuel all the time,even at idle.So at idle you would build little puddles of fuel in intake manifold.This guy told me his friend had an f-max kit and left his car on for awhile and it started on fire from all the un-needed extra fuel at idle.

If your just looking for something normal,go with max-rev,greddy or drag.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (J2turbo21)

The GReddy kit and GReddy intercooler kit, GReddy BOV and a MBC(manual boost contoller) is what you want.

Excellant quality, excellant fit, includes every little thing you need. For your setup and your goals I HIGHLY recoomend the GReddy kit. Talk w/ user "falc0n". He has his a GReddy kit, and he knows his ****.

Kits liek drag, and revhard are not true bolt on kits and I hate Fmu's.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first, i'd recommend to save money for standalone (hondata in my case).
You will need larger injectors http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET, fuel pressure regulator, intank fuel pump.

greddy kit - has internal wastegate and small turbo that may work great for low-mid hp, exlude fuel managment if you plan to run standalone

drag kit - don't like their manifold, - one, because its well known for cracking, second, wastegate location.. - so i went with inline pro
also, replace deltagate with tial wastegate, and exlude fuel managment for standalone.

revhard - my choice - again, replace deltagate with tial wastegate, and exlude fuel managment, they also don't offer air filter (count some money for that).

fmax - looks really nice, kinda expensive, can't remember if deltagate is uncluded, so upgrade to tial again, and exclude fuel managment for standalone.

all of the kits include rubber return line, that you can replace with steel braded.

local shop - some places may offer their own and competative kits, if you have such shop around you, see what they can do..

custom - can be a bit more pain if first time putting together a kit, but you could save money and still get best/better parts, you could purchase intercooler kit and still save money, some parts could be purchased used.

i suggest to research as much as you can, at least have an idea for what size turbo to get, study compressor maps..
Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (vtec.dc2)

The GReddy kit is PERFECT for you. TRUE BOLT ON.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F-max= I heard the extra injectors sux cause it sprays fuel all the time,even at idle.So at idle you would build little puddles of fuel in intake manifold.This guy told me his friend had an f-max kit and left his car on for awhile and it started on fire from all the un-needed extra fuel at idle.

Don't listen to that guy! The fuel controller only injects fuel under boost. Don't believe MOST of what you hear!!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FMAX is not crap...only he fuel solution is. You can get the kit without the fuel solution and save $200~.

As for the extra injectors, the fuel computer taps into the map sensor and sends fuel accordingly (along with readinr the RPMs signal from the distributor). So, unless the the MFC is drastically misconfigured, is shouldn't send fuel at idle.

The thing that makes te MFC so crap is the location where it injects the fuel (before the throttle at the bend in the intake pipe). The heavy fuel droplet basically gets sucked into the closest cylinder to the throttle body, which makes it run very rich and the others very lean. That is the main issue with the ERL MFC. If they made it so the the fuel could be distributed evenly through a 4 cylinders, it would have been a much better solution.

As far as FMAX's quality, it is pretty good. I admit, we had some issues with manifold fitment because the stock bolts were too big. We had to get different ones to get it to fit. The customer service basically sucks, so if you do get one ...get a vendor with good customer service and let them deal with their crap...but the product it sound and top notch.

EDIT ..they now ship with Tial 35mm wg not delcrap!

[Modified by MiraiZ, 3:57 PM 1/7/2003]

[Modified by MiraiZ, 3:59 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (tony1)

Don't listen to that guy! The fuel controller only injects fuel under boost. Don't believe MOST of what you hear!!
Thats just what i heard.When i had the kit,i didnt use the MF2.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 PM

the greddy will just do you fine like others say you can gett good hp numbers out of it

custom is the way to go i went with a drag kit and i love it but i would have done a custom if i knew then for what i know now.

i am redoing everything everything from manifold and turbo and maybe intercooler and getting standalone

i put on my drag 3 kit on when my 95 integra gsr when i had 125,000 miles on it and it has been over a year and now i have like 175,000 miles on it and still running and they where hard miles.

and it all depends on how you take care of it.

i beat on my car but i was up on my maintnaince and i drive it everyday for work also

[Modified by boostfedb18, 7:54 AM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the input everyone...I've gotten alot of useful information. But, what does everyone mean as far as not worrying about the fuel managment or exlude? it, and get a standalone...like hondata. I know what the hondata systems are, but I feel like I'm missing something here. Could anyone explain it to me.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input everyone...I've gotten alot of useful information. But, what does everyone mean as far as not worrying about the fuel managment or exlude? it, and get a standalone...like hondata. I know what the hondata systems are, but I feel like I'm missing something here. Could anyone explain it to me.
if you get a standalone such as hondata, most turbo kits include some type of fmu, map sensor bypass valve missing link, inline fuel pump (you'd want intank fuel pump). - these parts are not needed.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (tony1)

Tony1 knows his stuff.............#1 texas installer. i've seen it with my own eyes. Hes the only person ill let do my turbo set up.

[Modified by HybridcivicLS-T, 5:02 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (CzanSOHC)

Ok, but if I go with the GReddy kit...if I started off with say...6-7 PSI, would I need the Intercooler at first? Could I upgrade to an intercooler if I wanted to boost to 8-9 PSI? I know on the SOHC Civics, the FMI isnt needed for 6-7 PSI.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:28 PM

Ok, but if I go with the GReddy kit...if I started off with say...6-7 PSI, would I need the Intercooler at first? Could I upgrade to an intercooler if I wanted to boost to 8-9 PSI? I know on the SOHC Civics, the FMI isnt needed for 6-7 PSI.
reliability is good with the greddy kit, but a drag kit can be made reliable with the use of a hondata or EMS..The power diffrence is substantial.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (tygsr)

reliability is good with the greddy kit, but a drag kit can be made reliable with the use of a hondata or EMS..The power diffrence is substantial.
Sounds good..BUT is the power difference based mainly on the difference in the acutal turbo (TD-05? vs. T3/T4)? If so, then IF I wanted to down the road...couldn't I just upgrade the smaller turbo, for a bigger one? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:07 PM

Also, what is the major difference between the two different sizes of intercoolers..as far as cooling/hp?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (jtrbocrx)

You sound like the perfect Jackson Racing Supercharger customer.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (Speedworks801)

I had a JRSC on my 1998 Civic EX, and wasnt too impressed with its performance. But it was on a SOHC motor, and I had a bad install the first time around. Second time around it was installed via dyno, but I still wasnt impressed. Is there that much of a difference with a DOHC, running at 8 or 10 psi on a JRSC?..Oh, and I managed to burn out two alternators...wasnt sure if it was related to JRSC or not.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Use Turbo Integra Setup (CzanSOHC)

yup i sencond that.
this would perfectly sute your needs much better than a DRAG kit.

**also concider the Apexi kit. it's about 600 more but you get more and a bigger better ballbearing turbo!.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's an option you may not have considered. It's a turbo kit for the SOHC civic but I'm getting some damn good power out of it and the spool is silly fast. For the daily driver, it's a blast on the streets. 10psi rocks. I'm going to go to a daily 14psi once I get a hondata. Ball bearing turbos kick ***.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=363036