Notices

Daily driven turbo...please post up....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driven turbo...please post up....

I'm planning on boosting, but I'm also planning on daily driving my car. I want to see boosted daily drivers post up any problems that might occured after they went with turbo and how they got it sloved. Plus, how long the setup last and realiablity issues.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

daily driven couple times, mostly weekend track at 341whp 221 tq over a year and a half.. no problems not sure on the miles though
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (methos713)

I have ~ 60k on my greddy turbo kit running 8psi and around 230whp. There's 120k on the car total and I drive it at least 30 miles every day to work and back.

Issues I have run into:
1. Boost spikes, turned out to be because the internal wastegate was stuck closed. Once I ported the wastegate, it was good to go, and has been since.

2. Torn Drivers side motor mount. Supposedly this is typical in the 99-00 Si's that have more hp, but thats only rumor. Replaced the 3 main mounts with Hasport mounts, and have run those for about 35k now without issue.

3. I have to replace the silicone couplers every 2 years or so, but thats because the winters are harsh and they tend to split after a while. I run this car all year long, everyday.

Most other issues that have come up are normal wear and tear issues with a car that has this many miles on it. Normal **** starts to wear out and has to be replaced.

The greddy kit isn't going to make super high hp numbers, and the upgrade path is limited to say the least, but its not a bad kit, although there are much better solutions out there now imo.

So anyway, 120k on the clock, 60k of it turbo'd and still running strong. Had compression test done at 105k, and it was 210psi in all 4 cyl.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (92TegLS)

SOHC ZC with ~ 50k
stock internals
ARP headstuds
garrett t3 .42/.48
log manifold
38mm tial wg
2.5 open DP
dsm 450s
walbro 255
crome

street tuned at ~ 9psi.

Issues

1. overheating, i drive an ef sedan, i had to put a half-sized radiator in it to fit the manifold and turbo. I put headerwrap on the dumptube and dp, installed a manual fan switch and am running 60/40 mix with water wetter. It still overheats on hot days after doing freeway pulls and then slowing down in traffic. I think its an airflow problem. Gonna try buying a nicer fan for it and maybe a smaller IC to open up some airflow.

2. boost leak, manifold cracked due to shitty weld, got it fixed. solved problem.

Other than that its been great and a lot of fun. I drive it everyday, around town and quite a bit of freeway too. Its only been boosted for a little over a month now. But its still holding up.

Here are some pics. BTW, i know i need a wiretuck, im actually gonna start one soon.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (90sedan)

Some stuff I've had to learn the hard way..

1)Carry zipties or zip tie all vaccum lines.Second day boosted ever on a past setup all the sudden it starts idling like crap and reving itself.Nipple I had blocked off on the intake manifold blew off so I had to jam a screw in it and drive home.

2)Use lock washers on EVERYTHING.On my recent setup I noticed a problem building boost and later I checked the bolts on the turbo and I could turn them by hand and woble the whole turbo.I got new bolts and lock washers and tourqed them down then ran the car threw a heat cycle and tourqed them again.Month later almost had 2 turbo manifold bolts back off the studs on the head.

3)Carry a flat head for hose clamps or whatever size wrench your t-bolt clamps take if your using those.Overspinning your turbo driving with a big boost leak isn't good and it can ruin your day.I carry a tool box usually anyways.

4)Protect anything thats close to the turbo/manifold/downpipe.Melted some cheap vaccum lines and o2 sensor wire loom before.

5)Heat. On really hot days,my car runs a little hotter then I'd like so I just don't get on it. Make sure you stay on top of your coolant system,heatwrap everything etc etc.

6)Your turbo needs an air filter or at the least screen.I don't have a screen or filter but im a rebel.Im sure my ching chong turbo will fail before a rock hits it. anyways It would suck for you to inhale a rock in a brand new gt30r or something.

other then that everything else is normal wear and tear and keeping up on basic stuff you should do anyways..

my setup

Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 Honda Civic SiR
Turbocharged for the last 4 years.
~230whp

100% Daily Driver

Snow storm, ice storm, whatever....

Blew the open diff. in my tranny after two years.

Cracked a ringland after 3 years.

Other then that it's all good.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (cbustuner)

yeah, one of the issues I'm worried about is heat...cause here in cali, we see 90-100+temp, and a lot of stop and go traffic on the highway. Bump for more.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1995 Prelude SE
fully built H23 280whp
~2500 miles on boost
DD

I kept AC on my prelude and went to a half size all aluminum radiator. Here in NC it has been getting well into the 90s everyday. I am running 3 electric fans to keep the car cool. 1200cfm puller on condenser, 1400cfm puller on radiator, 1800 cfm pusher in front of radiator. Heat wrap your AC lines if you still have AC. Really, heat wrap whatever you can get to. Stay out of boost when it gets really hot out
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill be daily driving on a GT35R on a type R. Not much help but im not done yet haha.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 AM

About 45k on my old turbo D15b del sol. Boosted daily driver FTW?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been daily driving my GSR w/ a few different setups over the past year and a half. I've put on about 12k miles and haven't had any major problems. The one thing i have learned is that if you want something to be 100% reliable, you can't cut corners or half *** anything. If you do, you're going to end up changing it anyway....so do it right the first time and you'll never have to worry.

IMO if you're building a setup for the street, get the manifold i just bought and you'll have a fun street/strip car. My new SLS shorty is amazing. The combination of the shorty and my GT32 makes for a very quick spooling and responsive car with power in every rpm range....i love it

I'll post pics later...
Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

94 accord f22b1 turbo for about a year now

i had problems with oil leaking from my feed/return but teflon tape fixed that. i agree about keeping a few turbo related wrenches in your car (connectors, downpipe, wastegate, etc..) and heat wrapping definitely helps a lot with intake air temp. i just did a section of my charge piping and im about to go do the rest. other than that keep up with checking and refilling your oil. i usually keep a few quarts in the trunk just in case. also any free days i have i like to check over stuff to make sure its still good. gl with yours.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andryzzle)

94 integra LS turbo on 10psi. Daily driven for 9 months. 133k on motor. I burnt my stock clutch. So make sure you get aftermarket clutch that will support at least 300hp. My coolant hose blew up on like 90 degree weather. If your top or bottom coolant hose is bad, replace it. Usually they get rotten inside. Other than that no problems. Just make sure you do it right, and install everything correctly. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

93 Hatch. I bought the car with a JDM B16 that probably already had 120K on it. I put a Peakboost turbo kit, and tuned it on Hondata S200b at 11psi. It started smoking after the first week. Now after a year of running the crap out of it, my compression is: 170-170-135-170. Even with it smoking, making bad compression, I pulled a 12.93@114.2mph. I now am building the block. And another thing, I had to rebuild the trans because my third gear synchro was dead. This car was my DD though and never broke down on me. I say do a compression test before you boost, which is something I didn't do.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Daily Driven DC2 LS-T on 15 psi no issues. Stock block with 135k miles. built head with 7000 miles off of my drag car that i sold. Only problem i have is just about every oil change interval im missing one bolt out of my downpipe and the rest are loose. Ive already upgraded to stainless steel bolts and lock washers but it still seems to happen.

Keep in mind your pushing the envelope when boosting stock ****. it will last in accordance with your driving habbits. If you hammering the car day in and day out not only are you going to foot a heafty gas bill your internals probably wont appreciate it either.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is the best way to look at it. **** will loosen up, vacuum lines will come loose time to time. you will learn along the way how to keep things in check. Other then DP bolts i dont have any problems at all with my turbo setup. Now valve lash is another issue for an LS head reving past 8k. Built head but those rockers suck *** so im doing valve lash every oil change interval as well Oh well its worth the 10 minutes of adjustment for the extra power and revs

Oh yes and i forgot to mention. This is all ebay stuff. turbo, cast mani, FMIC, bov, 35mm wg. so its 7000 miles of proof that teh cheap ebay **** works

Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 PM

No problems or issues, drove for about 6k miles then wrecked the car
Suspension:
Ground control coilovers
Type r front strut bar
Full-Race traction bars

Tires:
Falken azenis 615's(with about 75% tread left, rotated frequently)
on stock gsr blades

Motor:
Bone stock!
RC 750cc injectors
255lph fuel pump
Competition stage 2 clutch
Twin track drag lsd
Half size oem radiator with fan, slim fan on back side of condenser as well, there are no overheating issues with this car
locash obd2b-obd1 jumper harness
tuned on p28
Turbo:
AFI complete A/C kit, everything was made and installed at AFI.
3" down pipe, with 3" exhaust to Apexi 4 1/2 outlet tip.
Tial westgate
Tial BOV
Garrett intercooler core
Garrett turbo (t3/t4, .60 trim)
A/C blows extremely cold
Tuned with neptune 6.5 psi made 270whp

Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (my2kgsr)

2000 civic Si w/ ls vtec making 400+ on pump and 590 on c16

this car JUST recently became a secondary driver. but it has been a daily for the last 4 years.

Problems: nothing serious, just maintenance
1. check bolts every so often; make sure they are all still tight.
2. check oil every so often too; make sure the correct amount is in the car.
3. HEAT B/C I HAVE NO A/C (car doesnt overheat at all though)
4. tires .. they wear out too fast

Modified by Supacharge at 4:23 AM 7/19/2007

Modified by Supacharge at 4:24 AM 7/19/2007

Modified by Supacharge at 4:26 AM 7/19/2007

Modified by Supacharge at 4:27 AM 7/19/2007
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (Supacharge)

Lasted about 10-11months....stock everything, except all fuel mods,and crome pro tuning. I ran anywhere from 10-15psi. EVERYDAY, and i beat the **** out of it..wide open 24/7 just about..so if you take care of one, and not dog it everywhere, should last a while....not the engine has 8:5:1 pistons, h beam rods, and all the other goodies.

[IMG][/IMG]

Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJfZPOpBII

stock bottom end, just crome tuning, and all fuel mods. 11psi.

here is another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ewEnUWlOA
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (Turbo-LS)

Daily Drove, Beat on Daily, Raced weekly for 3 years.

Rods/pistons LS setup for 3 years. No issues as long as you have a good tune and PM your car every 2,000 miles. Just check for things getting loose and make sure to pay attention to leaks.

pump gas- 20psi went 11.3 @ 125 1/4
race gas- 26psi went 6.9 @ 100 1/8

Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (Supacharge)

I've been running 20psi daily for about 10 months. It sees 20psi all the way to redline at least once every day (can;t help it ).

Problems:
1. bolts backing out.
2. manifolt warped.
3. blown t3 gasket
4. slipped an act 6-puck.

other than that everything's fine. just run some data logging every once in a while to make sure afr's are good and no knock..it took me a while to get the car tuned perfectly(almost) and to set up ait correction for when the weather got colder...

also you have to change the oil more frequently...i found it starts getting real dark after 2300k-2500k miles...you can't follow manufacture specs for maintenance anymore, some things will wear out a lot sooner.

check your spark plugs often...

also make sure you let the car reach operating temperature before you get on it.
don't try to hit 160mph everyday
Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (gogunkergorilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gogunkergorilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been running 20psi daily for about 10 months. It sees 20psi all the way to redline at least once every day (can;t help it ).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well you can say atleast once, thats pretty good, when mine was boosting, i hit it ATLEAST no ****..20 times a day...LOL...im addicted.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well you can say atleast once, thats pretty good, when mine was boosting, i hit it ATLEAST no ****..20 times a day...LOL...im addicted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, I used to be like that. Now im too afraid of getting a ticket.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my car for 3 months and it's been down for half that time. Sometimes you just get shitty luck with a turbo car, mine is a factory turbo car too!

My best advice is make sure you have another car or are able to catch the bus to work incase something happens to your main ride.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driven turbo...please post up.... (tokesGTR)

off topic question ... how are you linking pictures so that they show up? it never works when i try it (guess im stupid)
Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lol, I used to be like that. Now im too afraid of getting a ticket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I dont think i will be like that anymore myself...I dunno if you have heard about laws in Virginia as of July 1st...lol check this.. not using turn signal = $1,050 fine, Speeding 15mph over speedlimit = $1,050 -$3,050 fine...and this is all before court fines and what not, these are MANDATORY....and they say its so they can fix our roads, expletive that, roads here are fine. its **** hole Va beach they worried about..lol. but yeah alot of other new fines also. DUI= $3,050 fine off the top before anything else..lol crazy ****.

Quick Reply: Daily driven turbo...please post up....