Notices

custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold?

if youre gonna do a custom turbo project why replace the whole manifold setup? A top quality manifold is probably the most expensive part of the whole kit. So here's an idea that I got from my WRX. The turbo on that car is not bolted directly to the end of the manifold but rather it has a pipe (up-pipe) that connects from the "collector" of the manifold up to where the turbo sits which is about a foot at the most from the throttle body which makes for very little charge piping and subsequently very little pressure drop.

Now with the way the B series cars have a b pipe that connects to the cat you could easily make an up-pipe with a flange for a turbo and save a ton of money on purchasing a whole seperate manifold and run the risk of cracking it which almost any turbo mani will do

and for intercooling you could use a Vortech aftercooler

someone tell me i am not the first guy to think of an idea like this? and what would be the pros/cons of an idea like this?
Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (JeremyL)

the biggest problem you are going to run into would be space.
another problem is the support of the turbo.
but that gives me an idea...
stan
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 AM

Hmmm, $$$$$$ Money could be made making a simple low boost (small T-3 - 5.5psi max) turbo kit like this and selling a **** load of them to guys that want a little more power without blowing up engines or checkbooks.

Think about it.

60 HP kit for B-series engines $1200, kit includes:

B-pipe to turbo
small non-intercooled charge pipe
small cold air pipe for filter (filter included)
diagonal down pipe from turbo to cat.
T-3 internal wastegaste .43/.48
fmu
in-line fuel pump
missing link

Sorry for stealing your idea, but I'm just dreaming, I don't have the time to r&d this.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 AM

oh crap I just realized! How the hell would you run the oil return line????
Old 08-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (FuzzyGreenCarpets)

if you place the snail above and next to the tranny, a'la hytech kit you could run anything to it without any problems, aside for intercooler.
stan
Old 08-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeremyL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre gonna do a custom turbo project why replace the whole manifold setup? A top quality manifold is probably the most expensive part of the whole kit. So here's an idea that I got from my WRX. The turbo on that car is not bolted directly to the end of the manifold but rather it has a pipe (up-pipe) that connects from the "collector" of the manifold up to where the turbo sits which is about a foot at the most from the throttle body which makes for very little charge piping and subsequently very little pressure drop.

Now with the way the B series cars have a b pipe that connects to the cat you could easily make an up-pipe with a flange for a turbo and save a ton of money on purchasing a whole seperate manifold and run the risk of cracking it which almost any turbo mani will do

and for intercooling you could use a Vortech aftercooler

someone tell me i am not the first guy to think of an idea like this? and what would be the pros/cons of an idea like this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen that done already with teh manifold. SAw it in a yellow civic HB at Route66 last year
Old 08-08-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (Paul_Vang)

Yeah, put it where the b-pipe is/was so that you can get slower spool because it's farther away from the cylinders which means less heat, it will be laggier if you want to run an intercooler, the turbo will probably be VERY low on the car so you would be at risk of bottoming out, it would be hard to fit the charge piping in there, and after you factor in the price of buying an aftermarket header and the custom exhaust the price is going to be just as much if not more than for a regular turbo kit.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (boosted92)

The whole point is, is that you wouldn't use an aftermarket header, and as far as spool time, oh well that's an acceptable compromise for cost and ease of install. Using a small turbo would help also.

Now if only there was an internally oiled turbo that didn't need the oil lines, or a sperate oil tank using an electric pump.

Ease of install and cost is the goal.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, put it where the b-pipe is/was so that you can get slower spool because it's farther away from the cylinders which means less heat, it will be laggier if you want to run an intercooler, the turbo will probably be VERY low on the car so you would be at risk of bottoming out, it would be hard to fit the charge piping in there, and after you factor in the price of buying an aftermarket header and the custom exhaust the price is going to be just as much if not more than for a regular turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is exactly how the stock setup of the WRX is and not too many people are complaining of the power outputs of those cars

try touching the B pipe sometime after a good run and tell me how nice and cool it is, that little distance means almost nothing to exhaust heat. also some good wrapping will keep a lot of heat in

why would the turbo be very low on the car? that statements makes no sense

you wouldnt need much at all for charge piping because the turbo would be so close to the the TB...have you ever seen how little charge piping there is in a WRX? hmm there is NONE...well unless you count the couple inches of hose that goes from the compressor straight to the IC and the IC is bolted right on the TB
Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 PM

trust this.......if it were that easy the people on here would have been doing it years ago,some of the things to consider.

There is no outlet for a external wastegate.

It might place to the turbo too low to be able to run a oil retun line to the pan.

It might place the turbo to close to the block.Stock exhaust runs pretty close to the block.

Id prefer to get something that i know will work and not have the worries of making it fit,plus the worries of it going bad down the road.

Turbo manifolds are going down in price every day.$200-$300 if you shop around.

just my opinions and my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:01 PM

just listen to these peeps,they knw
Old 08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
I am a bad person

dont forget the wrx has a turbo manifold that wraps from one side of the motor to the other thats why it has an uppipe. an uppipe on honda will cost the same as buying a 200-300 manifold. its a good idea but there is no room for the turbo,downpipe and wastegate to sit on the bottom of the car. beides its not practical. just in fabrication ofr intercooler piping and all the other parts it will exceed buying a cheap manifold that is made for a b series.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeremyL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would the turbo be very low on the car? that statements makes no sense

you wouldnt need much at all for charge piping because the turbo would be so close to the the TB...have you ever seen how little charge piping there is in a WRX? hmm there is NONE...well unless you count the couple inches of hose that goes from the compressor straight to the IC and the IC is bolted right on the TB</TD></TR></TABLE>

forget about how close the turbo is to the throttlebody how about runnign th epiping back out to a front mount and then back around to the throttle body. which is a huge problem on wrx's with front mounts. they have 5 ft of piping. trust me i know alot about the wrx i had one that ran 12.2 before my civic with only bolt ons.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:45 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

forget about how close the turbo is to the throttlebody how about runnign th epiping back out to a front mount and then back around to the throttle body. which is a huge problem on wrx's with front mounts. they have 5 ft of piping. trust me i know alot about the wrx i had one that ran 12.2 before my civic with only bolt ons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

which is exactly why FMIC on a WRX isnt really the greatest idea. sure it may get colder air but when you have that extra 5ft of piping is it really worth it. a good TM like the TXS or PWR unit and a bigger sccop and youre golden

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id prefer to get something that i know will work and not have the worries of making it fit,plus the worries of it going bad down the road.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm lets see, youre talking about putting a fully customized turbo kit and boosting a car that was never meant from the factory to be boosted. i dont care what level of quality parts that go into that mix, you will have problems

making a simple uppipe off the B pipe would not cost anywhere near what i see some turbo mani's going for
Old 08-09-2003, 09:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeremyL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

which is exactly why FMIC on a WRX isnt really the greatest idea. sure it may get colder air but when you have that extra 5ft of piping is it really worth it. a good TM like the TXS or PWR unit and a bigger sccop and youre golden

hmm lets see, youre talking about putting a fully customized turbo kit and boosting a car that was never meant from the factory to be boosted. i dont care what level of quality parts that go into that mix, you will have problems

making a simple uppipe off the B pipe would not cost anywhere near what i see some turbo mani's going for</TD></TR></TABLE>

i built my system from the ground up,i know exactly what it takes and what to expect and what problems will happen.

when building a custom setup,it takes alot more time,placing things in spots,then taking them back off probably 4-5 times.now why would i want to add one more link to the chain of possable problems.why not just spend the 200-300 on a manifold.if your budget is that tight i would not recomend going turbo in the first place.

im all for budget setups,i just put a custom kit on a freinds crx using the hf manifold and a adaptor.

i actually only spent $79(ebay) for this manifold that im using now,and its lasted a year with no problems.here is a pic of it:

instead of using your time fabbing something,use your time to find a cheaper manifold,they are out there,mine is a perfect example.

i just bought a new one for a nother motor,paid $225 for it shipped,and from people on herwe say,its a damn good manifold.heres a pic of it:

all im saying is that time is money,so it might be a little cheaper,but add in your time and frustration and it will equal out,just find you a manifold for a good deal.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeremyL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

making a simple uppipe off the B pipe would not cost anywhere near what i see some turbo mani's going for</TD></TR></TABLE>

which is my point!!! you cannot run a top mount on a civic. so guess what you will have to route piping from the b pipe to the front of the car. which again is way too much piping and fabrication. like the above guy said. you can find a manifold for cheap like 200.00 which is what an uppipe costs in most cases too. why reinvent the wheel when there are plenty of cheap ways to turbo a car. yes, there are turbo kits that are 4k dollars. yes, some manifolds cost 10 times what it would cost to fabricate an uupipe using your idea. but guess what those manifolds that costs 10 times more, costs that much cause they can produce 1000whp. try that with your uppipe. your not comparing apples to apples.your idea sounds great to you and only you and i think you should do it and then come on here and tell us all we are ******** and dont know ****. besides i have never owned a low 12 sec wrx or a low 11 honda WTF do i know.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (MotorMatrix.com)

fOR SOMeone looking to do a very cheap turbo setup there is not reason you couldn't take off the b pipe from the stock manifold.. Grab some cheap u bends and make a pipe from that up to a turbo mounted similar to where hytech puts it. Sure might be ugly and might not be ideal but it would work.. A person doing this setup would also be using a cheap used turbo with an internal wastegate.. Sure it would work.. if you feel more comfortable doing that then buying or building a manifold then go for it.. let us all know how it does for you.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 AM

Sounds similar to the Mugen Turbo kit for the 1st gen CRX
Old 08-09-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (squirrel)

how about just welding a turbo onto the muffler then routing some i/c piping in through the car to the engine

you can get manifolds for cheap that will last decently long (drag, fmax, revhard, ect.)...you might have to repair a crack every once in awhile but whatever...and yeah you might be able to rig something up with a stock mani but in the end you prolly wont save you much, if any, money and it will take a lot of fabbing for other compenents when you could have just bought a turbo manifold in the begining and saved yourself a lot of hassle
Old 08-09-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (gritsak)

its would not be that hard.. it would be a simple u bend with two flanges welded on it.. What does it hurt you if he wants to do it. Get over it.. Not everyone has to run the same setup.. Its probably possible to do a turbo setup for a few hundred bucks if you really wanted too. Your goona spend close to that just on a manifold.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:25 PM

Old 08-09-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its would not be that hard.. it would be a simple u bend with two flanges welded on it.. What does it hurt you if he wants to do it. Get over it.. Not everyone has to run the same setup.. Its probably possible to do a turbo setup for a few hundred bucks if you really wanted too. Your goona spend close to that just on a manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he asked for opinions and i gave mine...you go ahead and put together a turbo kit for a few hundred bucks and not be embarrassed to open your hood...ide rather spend the extra money and do it right.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:55 PM

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (gritsak)

hey whoever came up with the idea in this post just try it, dont ask to see if it will work give it a shot see what happens.....instead of bitchin about it see if you can build it and make it work for much less than a normal mani and stuff prove everyone wrong that said it wont work, and then if it doesnt work then you will kno and so will everyone else......slater

Trav
Old 08-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold? (Overblown-Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Overblown-Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its would not be that hard.. it would be a simple u bend with two flanges welded on it.. What does it hurt you if he wants to do it. Get over it.. Not everyone has to run the same setup.. Its probably possible to do a turbo setup for a few hundred bucks if you really wanted too. Your goona spend close to that just on a manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i say he should do it for sure. and post up when he does with the cost and the outcome. then i'llshow him how he could build a presentable kit for less $$ that works.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:07 PM

is this what u r trying to do?

picas from http://www.unclemax.net/homepage.htm

IMO, i would rather have an equal length setup with the correct length runners and little bit more IC piping rather than something as in the pics above.

Quick Reply: custom turbo...why replace the whole manifold?