CTR Pistons no good for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CTR Pistons no good for boost?

Ok, was planning on doing all motor ls/vtec in my 91 4 door, but have surprisingly gotten 99% of my parts for my turbo set up. Thing is, I had purchased a brand new set of CTR STD (81mm) pistons from YCP. I have heard both negative and positive things about boosting on CTR pistons, but want HT's opinions. Again they are standard sized and brand new (haven't installed them yet), wrist pins, rings, etc. all included and brand new as well. Here's a quick outline of my set up:

B18a1 block:
-Brand new ITR oil pump
-Brand new GSR water pump
-Brand new GSR timing belt
-ls head gasket
-Brand new ARP PRO series rod bolts (6401)
-GSR ARP head studs
B18c1 OBD1 GSR Head
-new valve seals
-everything cleaned up internally, but all stock (eventually, when I get money, I will upgrade the cams, gears, valves, retainers, springs, etc.)
Boost:
-Custom log manifold
-Eclipse GSX turbine (TD04-h) with internal wastegate
-2.5" downpipe, stock exhaust otherwise
-DSM 450CC Peack and hold Injectors
-255lph Walbro fuel pump
-stock fuel rail, fpr, intake (for now), exhaust manifold, etc.
-Manual boost controller (for now)
-Missing link (for 90-93 integras)

I think that's everything. Anyways, any info will be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CTR Pistons no good for boost? (denraweb)

it will be around 12:1 comp that's a lot for boost and really hard to tune your better off getting a different set of pistons if it's budget some ls pistons will work if your not looking for huge numbers
Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Pistons no good for boost? (hellakapps)

How are you going to tune those larger injectors?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Pistons no good for boost? (sp00led)

A friend of mine said it wouldn't be a problem on his dyno....**** he better for $1000/hr...lol.

As for the pistons...I don't think I'm gonna use 'em. Just gonna get some brand new ls pistons since I'm not looking for over 300whp. And that's a little much with my little turbo anyways...

So any suggestions for my set up (including future set up)? Just want some good reliable pistons that can make some decent power.

If I can't find any decent ones then I'll just stick with some new ls pistons...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
i ♥ snails

1000/hr?
12:1 is pretty high unless you want to spend alot of dyno time findings the detonation threshold coupled with always running "race" gas id go something more reasonable 9:1 or 10:1
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: CTR Pistons no good for boost? (denraweb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denraweb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A friend of mine said it wouldn't be a problem on his dyno....**** he better for $1000/hr...lol.

As for the pistons...I don't think I'm gonna use 'em. Just gonna get some brand new ls pistons since I'm not looking for over 300whp. And that's a little much with my little turbo anyways...

So any suggestions for my set up (including future set up)? Just want some good reliable pistons that can make some decent power.

If I can't find any decent ones then I'll just stick with some new ls pistons...</TD></TR></TABLE>

1000 dollars an hour, hahahahahahaha. Evans tuning isn't even that much and it doesn't get much better than him.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Pistons no good for boost? (SD_Lurker)

I didn't see any ems listed. Still not sure how he is going to tune the car.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compression is rather high for a turbo setup. You can still do it, but you're going to be limited by your fuel grade. Theoretically, you could have 100:1 compression engine and boost it if you could find a fuel grade high enough. With pump gas and that high compression AND boost, the chance of detonation is pretty good.

Also, if you're paying $1000/hr for tuning, i would find another tuner. That's absolutely insane.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1000 dollars an hour, hahahahahahaha. Evans tuning isn't even that much and it doesn't get much better than him. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't know where that is, and doubt it's near me...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The compression is rather high for a turbo setup. You can still do it, but you're going to be limited by your fuel grade. Theoretically, you could have 100:1 compression engine and boost it if you could find a fuel grade high enough. With pump gas and that high compression AND boost, the chance of detonation is pretty good.

Also, if you're paying $1000/hr for tuning, i would find another tuner. That's absolutely insane. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, thinking about using stock brand new ls pistons...

I agree about the dyno tuning, but it's the only dyno tuner in town...

Thinking about a basic street tune now...since I'm not going with the ctr pistons..
Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the tuning goes, you live in CA...there are tuners around. If you have to drive a little ways to get to one of them, you'll still come out better than if you were to spend $1000/hr on dyno time.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Missing link? no EMS?

you better start learning what it takes to have a good build before you blow up your motor.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the tuning goes, you live in CA...there are tuners around. If you have to drive a little ways to get to one of them, you'll still come out better than if you were to spend $1000/hr on dyno time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well see with that, I don't have a license right now to drive anywhere...that's why I'm building my car. I figured it's just sitting, I'll just build it a little and have some fun. That way when my license is reinstated, it will be ready to go...hopefully. So in order to drive out of town, I have to find someone willing to drive my car with me that has a license out of town and I will probably have to pay 'em anyways...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Missing link? no EMS?

you better start learning what it takes to have a good build before you blow up your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the missing link...and EMS is in the near future. Right now, only doing NA ls/vtec as I don't have all the parts, but very close, for the turbo kit. Still need the piping, sandwich plate, and fuel pump. Then everything can be installed as far as the turbo goes.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (denraweb)

Throw the missing link in the garbage, then tell your friend that charges $1000/hr to go pound sand.