Notices

Crower turbo cams question......

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crower turbo cams question......

I have obtained, what I have been told to be, Brian Crower stage 2 turbo cams for b series vtec heads.... The exhaust cam looks odd to me, the vtec lobes look kind of flat as if for long duration. Just curious if anybody has any experience with these cams and can confirm this is what they are supposed to look like. Any input helps, thanks!

Last edited by brandynEG; 03-30-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crower turbo cams question......

Looks a bit worn. If so, you probably shouldn't use them.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

I could be wrong, but that looks like oil starvation wear on the cam journals...
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam is worn and should not be used. If you paid money for them you should return to seller and request a refund.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to mention that crower turbo cams generally don't perform that well in a vtec setup. A set of type r cams Would work better.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
The cam is worn and should not be used. If you paid money for them you should return to seller and request a refund.
how did the vtec lobes all end up slightly flat like that? I measured all 4 of them with a digital caliper and all four of the vtec lobes were exactly the same heighth. odd.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 PM

That's how the lobes were made. They're a long duration lobe. Important differentiation, though, are they Crower, or Brian Crower cams? There's a difference. Looking at them, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're Brian Crowers.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
That's how the lobes were made. They're a long duration lobe. Important differentiation, though, are they Crower, or Brian Crower cams? There's a difference. Looking at them, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're Brian Crowers.
They are brian crower cams. So the vtec lobes ARE supposed to look slightly flat for duration? That was my main question. But the journals look oil starved/ burnt? There's no way to clean these up and run them? Sorry dudes I'm a newb.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Yes, the VTEC lobe is supposed to look like that. At least, that's how they come out of the factory looking - I'm not saying they're ideal, or even good, just...that's how they're made.

Yes, the journals look oil starved and chewed. I personally wouldn't put them in a motor that you care about.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

micropolishing possibly
Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen people install worse
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will have the cams micro polished and see how the turn out.. wish me luck
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

I mean, you can have it micropolished, but you'll want to check your journal clearances after you do that. I don't know off the top of my head what healthy cam journal clearance specs are.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in most cases it wouldnt be worth it, imo. especially when you have alot of dollas invested into the head. just for the cams to bounce around. but, i figured id mention it as an option. and i couldnt tell you the camshafts clearance specs either
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy ****, the cam is WORN. NOT ground like that. This could be caused by many reasons, point is do not install junk cams. Get a good set, hell even oem anything is better than that crap.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly ever set of Honda cams I have are slightly worn on the journals... even cars that were meticulously built and maintained.

the journals are coated, it's inevitable that some wear will happen and coatings wear off. it's the same thing with bearings and cylinder walls after lots of use... bearings will show slight wear as will the cylinder walls with a slight loss of cross hatch and mild scuffing.

if the journals aren't gouged or deformed and you can't feel any scratches or rough spots with your fingernails then I would run them.

I had a set of Blox type c's in a high compression b20/vtec that had similar wear... still running strong. I can show you a set of cams out of my 49,000 mile high compression b16a2 that ran high grade oil and was maintained absurdly well that still show wear, while the inside of the motor was varnish free. so clean you could eat off of it.

mechanical parts wear, there's no way around it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Honestly ever set of Honda cams I have are slightly worn on the journals... even cars that were meticulously built and maintained.

the journals are coated, it's inevitable that some wear will happen and coatings wear off. it's the same thing with bearings and cylinder walls after lots of use... bearings will show slight wear as will the cylinder walls with a slight loss of cross hatch and mild scuffing.

if the journals aren't gouged or deformed and you can't feel any scratches or rough spots with your fingernails then I would run them.

I had a set of Blox type c's in a high compression b20/vtec that had similar wear... still running strong. I can show you a set of cams out of my 49,000 mile high compression b16a2 that ran high grade oil and was maintained absurdly well that still show wear, while the inside of the motor was varnish free. so clean you could eat off of it.

mechanical parts wear, there's no way around it.

Its not the journals that are the concern, did you see the vtec lobe? Take a close look, its smoked.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All of the google images I glossed over for this cam look very similar to what the OP's vtec lobe looks like, and his looks as if it's worn uniformly across that lobe, not as if it's been eroded to that kind of peak over time. We should really be asking for higher res photos of multiple vtec lobes. And also the journals don't exactly look scored or anything like that on this cam, just some rotational scuffing.

If the surfaces feel smooth and consistent to the touch with no palpable scarring or gashing, do you really think those marks seen in the journals really make THAT much of a difference?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:44 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Its not the journals that are the concern, did you see the vtec lobe? Take a close look, its smoked.
that is just a shadow from the lighting in the room. there is a slight amount of wear on the lobes but it's minimal and nothing out of the ordinary

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
All of the google images I glossed over for this cam look very similar to what the OP's vtec lobe looks like, and his looks as if it's worn uniformly across that lobe, not as if it's been eroded to that kind of peak over time. We should really be asking for higher res photos of multiple vtec lobes. And also the journals don't exactly look scored or anything like that on this cam, just some rotational scuffing.

If the surfaces feel smooth and consistent to the touch with no palpable scarring or gashing, do you really think those marks seen in the journals really make THAT much of a difference?
they wouldn't matter at all. normally when I see wear on journals or on aftermarket cams I see wear on the cam journals in the head. it's the head that causes the scoring, especially if a cam cap has been swapped/replaced or something damaged the journal surfaces. I've even gone so far as to micropolish the cam journals in the head, makes a huge difference.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brian Crower cams have polished journals and can be identified with these markings on the end.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those cams appear to have had spring binding issues that created the "flat tops" you are seeing.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So are these vtec lobes supposed to be like that or not?! I measured all four of the lobes the best I could with a digital caliper, and all 4 where almost identicle in size.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I've sent pictures of the cam to crower in California... we will find out for sure.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I mean it's a way cam companies get more duration but they should be basically the same height... how far off are your measurements from lobe to lobe?

also aftermarket cams have some form of ID on the cam ends (dizzy side) whether it be an etched or stamped ID. is there anything on the end of the cams?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is not normal.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crower turbo cams question......