Notices

Critique my setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critique my setup

Hey,
I am building my '94 integra ls and was putting together a low budget turbo kit. I am strapped for cash right now and i havent had a lot of experience with forced induction. Money is an object so bear in mind that my set-up includes a lot of cost cutting.

Right now, I have a 98 JDM B20B in my car stock compression is 9.6:1... i rebuilt the motor 12,000 miles ago with stock internals.
I have an ACT clutch... Xtreme pressure plate with 4-pad racing disc...
I am running a stock LS transmission and a stock LS intake manifold.
Ramdom Tech High Flow Cat...
B&M fpr
Custom 2.5 inch exhaust with universal muffler
KYB AGX on neuspeed springs

I am getting all these from a friend:
DSM 440cc injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Apexi S-AFC
Stock Starion front mount intercooler
Stock JDM WRX STI turbo ( td04-14b)
Stock talon DSM Blow-off valve
Drag gen turbo manifold
Custom 2.5 inch downpipe
Boost controller...
Boost gauge
A/F ratio gauge

I plan to run about 8lbs for now until I replace my internals... How much hp do u think I can push with this set-up? With the right tuning, what is the maximum amount of boost i can run on my stock internals? With a good driver, running 8lbs.....what should the carf run in the 1/4 mile?? Keep in mind, I am spending less than $1000 on this set-up.. I plan to upgrade my internals when i have the money to... I plan to replace my rods, my pistons and my valve springs and retainers...and raise my redline to about 7800.... I will then upgrade my turbo to a garrett t04e or a mistubishi 20g...i also wanna design a water to air intercooler for the bigger turbo and run a lot more boost...maybe like 15lbs daily driven and maybe 18lbs at the track after internals... what would u guys change about this set-up?? thanks....

Old 04-30-2002, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Critique my setup (chidoks)

everything looks ok, except that I dont think DRAG ever made a manifold that would fit a TD04 turbo...all of the DRAG kits that I know about are flanged for a T3. i am not sure if there is a way to redrill the manifold flange or not, so you may look into getting a different turbo or manifold or maybe some kind of custom adapter...good luck

david
Old 04-30-2002, 02:49 PM
New User

Default Re: Critique my setup (00TurboEX)

trade your ls tranny for a gsr.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run 8-9psi with your set up, dont go above this though since you dont have any internal work done. Also, keep your LS tranny. It has longer gears then the gsr tranny which is very benificial for boosted applications.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:16 AM
New User

Default Re: Critique my setup (GudeH23a)

you can run 8-9psi with your set up, dont go above this though since you dont have any internal work done. Also, keep your LS tranny. It has longer gears then the gsr tranny which is very benificial for boosted applications.

i'm not sure who is giving you your information, but whoever it is.......don't listen anymore. only 8-9 lbs on a ls motor??? with 440's?? are you crazy?? the ls tranny is better than the gsr??? are you insane??? the only thing the ls tranny would be better for is top end highway runs. for the street/track/autox, its ***.

sorry man, not trying to be a dick.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with correct tuning, 12+ is possible.

I drive with 10 on my ZC DAILY, 12 at the track, and I have had NO problems for over 2 years.

nothing can beat a good hour or two on a Dyno with a tail pipe sniffer.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (jinxproof99)

first of all, yes i am crazy. Second of all i better start reading a little better bc i missed the injector part as well as the fuel pump. i just saw the stock internals part, and in my opinion im not a big fan of boosting 12psi on stock internals, so thanks for catching that. as far as the ls tranny, for a turbo application it is better due to its longer gears. if you disagree with me, then im happy for you. and even though you didnt want to sound like a dick, well you did tuning is everything, if you plan on running this much boost, make sure you have it tuned by a pro. i see WAY to many guys buying this and that and thinking just because they have pistons and rods that they can run 15psi of boost with not problems. you should be safe though, but like i said.... tuning is the key

[Modified by GudeH23a, 8:58 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 05:01 PM
New User

first of all, yes i am crazy. Second of all i better start reading a little better bc i missed the injector part as well as the fuel pump. i just saw the stock internals part, and in my opinion im not a big fan of boosting 12psi on stock internals, so thanks for catching that. as far as the ls tranny, for a turbo application it is better due to its longer gears. if you disagree with me, then im happy for you. and even though you didnt want to sound like a dick, well you did tuning is everything, if you plan on running this much boost, make sure you have it tuned by a pro
well, sorry to offend you sweetheart. the ls tranny is never better for quick ecceleration. you make the most power in the top of third and fourth gear. you want to get there as quick as possible. its similiar to domestics going from say 3.73 gears to 4.10's. only on a highway though would you want to stay in 4th gear a long time. the taller ls 4th gear allows you to stay in fourth longer, therefore achieving a higher top speed. i don't know about you, but i've done alot of racing with turbo hondas and i have used b16/gsr/ls trannys and other hybrid trannys. the ls for drag/street racing is *** and it looks like your the only one on here that doesn't know that. as far as stock internals goes, they work for the average joe(up to 400 hsp) and yeah, TUNING IS EVERYTHING. a good tuner knows this. there are many on h/t that used to think like you, but they were proven wrong time and time again. use the search button.

and what about 450 hsp on stock honda sleeves????? can it be done??????

when i was using a ls tranny w/24" slicks, and i was reving to around 8500, i went through the traps in third gear. that is crap.

[Modified by jinxproof99, 9:14 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 05:06 PM
New User

and btw, gude hasn't made a quality, over the counter, performance part for hondas in at least 4 years.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lose the attitude, we are here to help people out fellow members. if i wanted to argue, i would go back to the 3rd grade. i respect your views and your opinions, if you dont like mine then dont show your ***.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:22 PM
New User

pretty ******* original newbie. gee, i haven't seen that on h/t everyday. well, say what you will, but the ls is *** and you are wrong. you have been unable to prove your point and your only recourse is to steal someones **** and try to get a laugh.

what a ***.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 98 JDM B20B in my car stock compression is 9.6:1... i rebuilt the motor 12,000 miles ago with stock internals.
I have an ACT clutch... Xtreme pressure plate with 4-pad racing disc...
I am running a stock LS transmission and a stock LS intake manifold.
Custom 2.5 inch exhaust with universal muffler
I am getting all these from a friend:
DSM 440cc injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Apexi S-AFC
Stock Starion front mount intercooler
Stock JDM WRX STI turbo ( td04-14b)
Drag gen turbo manifold
Custom 2.5 inch downpipe
Boost controller...

I plan to run about 8lbs for now until I replace my internals... How much hp do u think I can push with this set-up? With the right tuning, what is the maximum amount of boost i can run on my stock internals? With a good driver, running 8lbs.....what should the carf run in the 1/4 mile?? what would u guys change about this set-up?? thanks....

I cut the unnecessary non speed related parts out. Getting ot the point I would say at least 250hp. I would add head gasket and turn boost to 14 psi. Car should run mid to high 12s with tires. I would change to hondata, tranny and intercooler.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now we all see why you have a 67% user rating. i have better things to do then argue on a 3rd grade level with someone that is 31. please see above picture.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that ******* picture is gay....I know I can do nothing about it but that "retard" making the best of what life has dealt him. You think it is funny to mock him because he was born at a lower level of performance than yourself? That type of **** is funny on consumptionjunction, but in here it is unnecessary. You, sir, need to reconsider what you think it a funny picture to post in an open forum with thousands of active users.

And, your turbo setup sucks ***. I think a colt with a 4inch LCD tip would run better times.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now we all see why you have a 67% user rating. i have better things to do then argue on a 3rd grade level with someone that is 31. please see above picture.
He has a running GSR with over 400 whp, you think he cares what you think? Good luck with whatever you plan on doing, but I am sure when you are staging next to someone who had listened to the advice of others who had tried and succeeded before you will wish you had too when you see their tailights as you cross the finish.

EDIT: You might want to read it twice it has a few big words.

[Modified by 2K_TEG, 2:48 AM 5/2/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (2K_TEG)

[Modified by GudeH23a, 10:28 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus christ guys! Anyway...instead of saying "the ls tranny sucks ***" and "no the ls tranny doesn't suck ***" why don't you give some real info about it? I'm not saying I know either way (as I don't even had a teg) but alot of people think the ls is better for dragging because of the longer gears. longer gears mean fewer shifts, so you don't add another 1/10th(or more, depending) to your time. this makes sense to me, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL

i am replacing my ls tranny with a gsr .
Old 05-01-2002, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (not so civic)

I don't know why anyone would want a gsr tranny on a boosted LS revving to 7k. The LS tranny is already too short on a LS motor. My powerband was like 1.5krpms, from 5500 to 7k. I can't imagine having only 1k for a powerband if I were to switch to a GSR tranny were my peak torque was around 5000rpm. A ls tranny isn't exactly good for highway racing either, its limited to 130mph. Now switch to a GSR or b16 motor is completely different story
Old 05-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look like a decent setup. Dont forget fuel managment--an fmu is needed not unless you have a stand alone.
I am also using the starion fmic and 1g dsm bov. They both work flawlessly.

And oh yeah....Jinx is the man. He knows his **** and if any of you..ahem prelude dude...dont believe him then run him on the street for some money!
Old 05-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (93LSivic)

Take it easy guys, don't get all swollen in the chest man. Thats the beauty of opinions, everybody has different views on stuff so don't resort to name calling. Just agree to disagree. I also have a quick question for Jinx, I have a B18A motor that I am turbocharging, I also have a B16A J1 tranny with LS 5th gear. Are you saying I should keep this for my turbo setup or go back to my LS? I see your sig shows you made big power so I value your opinion.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (MIKES)

Take it easy guys, don't get all swollen in the chest man. Thats the beauty of opinions, everybody has different views on stuff so don't resort to name calling. Just agree to disagree. I also have a quick question for Jinx, I have a B18A motor that I am turbocharging, I also have a B16A J1 tranny with LS 5th gear. Are you saying I should keep this for my turbo setup or go back to my LS? I see your sig shows you made big power so I value your opinion.
keep the j1 tranny.........especailly if it has an ls final because that is the only gear you would want an ls tranny for anyway..........longer gears for turbo is basicly bullshit, the only reason ls would be better is if you wanted it for top speed and since you already got the ls final drive keep the j1 tranny.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Critique my setup (TurboR481)

ok, what i've seen from this list of replies is hidious. in the world of car racing and tuning people have their opinions on which setups are better than others. the guy with the sand in his **** about the ls tranny being *** and the gsr tranny being god needs to relax. read this and see if you understand what im saying and you will notice the differences between the transmissions and the use of both.

when running low boost, running a gsr transmission is actually quite optimal since the short gears will assist in bringing on quick spool times on a small turbo allowing you to rip through the quarter mile most likely faster than the ls tranny. when you get to a more manly amount of boost the ls tranny will annhilate the gsr transmission. this is due to the fact that larger turbos and higher numbers of boost take time to spool up to and when a transmission only allows you to be in gear for short periods of time like the gsr transmission you will be hard pressed to stay on boost to higher psi and hold it to attain usable horsepower from it.

depending on which setup you run low boost or high boost applications take on different transmission needs. if one transmsission was better than the other in all respects honda would have never made more than one transmission for vtec and non vtec motors.

when i read posts about the tranny issue between the ls and gsr transaxles i usually post for people to look at the gear ratios from most factory turbo cars and you will notice the long gears. my favorite example is the dsm guys, their gears are way long, they need that to spool up their huge turbos and use that huge rotating turbo to make as much power as possible for as long as possible. i currently am the mechanic for a 20G powered 4G63 block in a 90 awd talon, without the long gear ratios of the stock awd trans the mitsubishi 20G would spool up and only hold for a short period of time. Now with longer gears that come stock the 20G spools to full boost around 3400-3600 rpm's and holds that boost until readline at 7200, the longer gears keep you on full boost longer placing power to the ground longer than a close ratio trans. when a talon shifts it drops way down the rpm range allowing each gear to stay on boost for longer periods of time than a NA motor. a vtec transmission was built and designed to keep your NA setup in the vtec rpm range at all times. without this drop in rpms under the vtec range your loosing out on power that could be sacrificed to the ground by longer gears.

so basically the ls transmission will be fine for chidoks to run. there is no need to waste the money on the high priced gsr transmission when he plans on running higher boost than the normal 7psi or so. at 15 psi the gsr trans would not be as beneficial as the ls transmission, where at 7 psi the gsr trans would come in handy.

so to each their own, no need for anyone to get pissed at what people believe. i agree with mr sandy clitoris gsr trans guy and with the ls tranny guys, different gear ratios are required for different power applications.

my $.02
~Steve Frampton
Old 05-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Critique my setup (rallycivic)

Sorry newbie. But I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Who gives a **** about the DSM side of things. Those cars have more displacement, are for the most part AWD, and run similiar--but very differnt setups. Now I see that you have that huge 15 sec time slip under you belt there-and it seems like you know a whole lot about honda b series trannies (not), but why try to jump in and act like you know what your talking about. For one, the LS tranny is no good unless you like to race on the highway, -or- unless you are pushing monstrous boost-which no one here is. The gsr trans is the way to go, period. Its funny how you mention about the factory turbo dsm cars that have the wide ration gears from the factory. Since when is a T25 or even a TD04 a HUGE turbo? Hah, I **** on those turbos--what a joke they are. Also to mention about the AWD dsm'rs--ofcourse they go through 1-2 gears faster, its the beuty of awd.
Ok, I can go on and on. I just think that you have too many differnt conclusions about what the b series trannies are good for. Any person that had an LS trans and a GSR trans will tell you--the gsr trans is waaaay better for 1/4 mile racing or stop light racing. If you want highway racing then the LS is the way to go--but in my opinion, I would never attempt to highway race a honda. Reality sets in when the REAl fast highway cars are the worked supras, C5's, 3000gt's, and RX7's.

Ahh, rant over......
Old 05-02-2002, 12:05 AM
New User

Default Re: Critique my setup (93LSivic)

ahhhhHHHHH... flame wars... gotta luv em.

i think a GSR tranny on a LS is better for N/A applications. overall, i think the GSR tranny on a LS is a pretty good combo. id stick to keepin the LS tranny on when boostin, though.

calm down guys... everyone has a difference of opinion. i like startin flame wars... but i also like being a mediator.

Quick Reply: Critique my setup