cooling issues with turbod crx

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling issues with turbod crx

Ok before everyone tells me to search the forum board I did and still didnt really get my question answered. I have a 90 lsv turbod crx. Its got a full race radiatior and a 12 inch slim fan on the inside. I was still having cooling issues so I had to pull out the theromstat runs fine on cooler days but with summer coming i wanna get it right. And yes I tryed hooking it up to the relay and running the fan constant and it still gets hot. Is there any benifit of putting the fan on the outside of the radiator like a pusher system? whats the best way to try to solve this prob? thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Re: cooling issues with turbod crx

Well full race radiatior are not ment for the street!! to small!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bobby taylor
Well full race radiatior are not ment for the street!! to small!
Wrong! they are a fine size....There is no reason your car should be over heating with that rad, and fan...Have you checked your hg to see if its leaking...There are plenty of guys running b series in crx/ef bodys with out heating issues...How big is your intercooler? Could be blocking air flow to the rad..
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give some more details on the overheating. when does it happen? immediately? after 10 min? 1 hour? in traffic? or cruising on the highway?

there are plenty of people having overheating problems. i think the combo of increased engine bay temps and intercoolers blocking the rad is the issue. i think you should reinstalled the correct oem thermostat and drive with the bumper off. if that fixes it then you know you need more airflow to the rad. (get a better fan or maybe trim the bumper to make sure the intercooler isnt blocking everything). if it still overheats with the bumper off then there must be other issues (air pocket, a leak or maybe a hg issue)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also what kind of slim fan? I bought a summit brand one from summit it's a 10" slim fan...but it only flows like 750cfm and that causes my car to overheat...maybe the fan you have doesnt pull enough air. Can also try shimming the hood and make sure to remove your weather stripping if you do...that will get all that hot air a place to get out of the engine bay.. That's the main reason why most ef's that are boosted overheat because everything is crammed in there and the heat from your turbo and mani and wastegate have really no escape from under your hood.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well of course when its hot out car runs real hot... But here lately the last time it got hot was when I was driving down the interstate after about 10min.... I turn the heat on and it comes down... I know the intercooler is blocking most eveything its a 600hp precision. I was kinda hoping that maybe fan is not putting out enough cfus? Its is a cheap 12 inch slim fan.... Is there any other companys that make a high output fan that will fit that particual radiatior? (FAL) I was also thinking about spacing up the hood and maybe heat wraping the down pipe since that also runs right beside the radiatior....
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is hot? How are you monitoring this? Water temp gauges? OEM or Aftermarket?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blinx9900
What is hot? How are you monitoring this? Water temp gauges? OEM or Aftermarket?
another good question. datalog off the ecu with and without the bumper then report back.

also there was a huge thread about the SPAL 13" fan, it pushes 1700cfm. i use it on my car and control the relay with s300. it requires running your own wiring but it was simple. they are universal so just use the mounting hardware that it comes with.

some people are also using shrouds which is a big help. check out the T1 setup http://www.t1raceparts.com/product_p...ad%20combo.htm it uses the spal fan
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What CFM is your fan?
I run a 1600 and my thermostat doesn't even open/fan turn on until about 10 minutes of driving
And I have a boosted ej
Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im considering "Hot" Before i took therostat out it was hitting H straight up on oem gauge... I took out thermostat and it would then hit mid to 3/4 way up on the gauge when its "warm" outside. I currently have now a cheap slim fan that i dont even know the name of. I dont think that anything bigger than a 12" can fit that particualar radiatior the 12" fan barely fits being to big. I would love to datalog it but I am on trial software right now and there is no dataloging... Friend of mine thinks my fan is crap cause he says if turning your heat on makes that much of a difference then you fan must be it... But IDK???? I dont wanna spend crazy money on a custom fan if thats not the case........
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

I made a huge thread about this. your problem is your crappy fan. I made a fan shroud combo that a lot of people still want (I havent forgotten.) You get rid of that fan and your problems are gone. I havent over heated since sept. (tx still 90+ degrees) after i bought this fan.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/spal-13%22-fan-2371027/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=overheating

you don't have to do all the other things in that thread it was an experiment but Im fine as for overheating

Last edited by ahobbs; 02-03-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90lsvcrxva
Im considering "Hot" Before i took therostat out it was hitting H straight up on oem gauge... I took out thermostat and it would then hit mid to 3/4 way up on the gauge when its "warm" outside.
way too hot man. i wouldnt drive the car until the problem is fixed. i have datalogged 220* in hondata and the oem gauge hadnt even moved from its "normal" spot. 3/4 is probably pushing 230-240*, dangerous.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The cheap fans are totaly crap with thick rads like that. You'll get better cooling by farting through your radiator. If you had to reverse the polarity (came as a psuher), you'll have to flip the blades too. That will get you 20-50% more airflow if you reversed the motor.

The other problem is running no shroud. W/o one 1/3 of the water is going through the fins w/o getting air pulled over them, and it does zero for cooling. It also lets the fan work better, as it has less pressure drop to deal with, and you can clearly see that in the SPAL fan PDF's. A puller will generally work better than a pusher, since it tends to equalize the pressure over all the fins. A pusher ends up throwing the air towards the edges, although not by much.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was haven the same problem in my crx...Bot a spal fan and koyo rad.. problem solved...
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I know its real risky to be running it that hot... Im really suprised the head gasket isnt leaking (besides the normal front left hand corner typical lsvtec). When you say pusher are you talking about putting the fan on the front of the rad and flipping the wires so that the fan pushes air though the radiator? Is there a way to shroud the fan on this radiator? Is there a high output cfu radiator that will fit? anyone else using this radiator? with any other ideas

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=481
this is the link to the full race site for the radiator that I have.... I think whats really sucks is that the radiator is a real small size! like I said before I have a 12 inch slim fan and it barley fits. If i would of just stayed with a radiator the same size as the eg i wouldnt have a issue finding a fan. But I got 300 wraped up in this one and i like how it looks but just gotta get it right
http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/12slcofan.html
heres the link to the fan I also have says it flow 1550cfms

Last edited by 90lsvcrxva; 02-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.