Notices

Condition of this turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condition of this turbo?

I recently accuired a td05h (14b) from a 91 eagle talon. It appears to be in really excellent shape, very clean on the outside. The exhaust housing has some hairline cracks, but from what I understand, a couple of tiny fractures like this will not affect the performance of the turbo that much. My main concern is that although the turbo has absolutely no shaft play that I can feel, the shaft does not spin freely. It feels dry, like it's new with no lube. Before I go and take this thing apart and try to fix it up, I'd like to ask some advice, if this is normal, if I should just oil it without disassembling it, etc.. Thanks in advance..
Old 10-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Condition of this turbo? (eastbay92cx)

anyone?
Old 10-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would fill up the oil feed side with penetrating oil and let it drip through overnight, then see what you have. No play at all probably is bad news though
Old 10-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Condition of this turbo? (Bailhatch)

fill the feed with thin oil and let it sit overnight like stated already, then spin it a few times, but if it still doesn't spin freely after that... Probably needs a rebuild.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Condition of this turbo? (toolowsol)

I've seen a lot of people talk about cheapturbos.com for rebuilds and what not, but do any of you guys know where I can buy bearings / seals for a 14b myself? If it does need a rebuild, I would like to do it myself, I'll just try to mark the turbines / moving parts and assemble them the same way.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update on the update ... I filled up the oil feed line, spun the turbo a few times, and let it sit for a couple hours. It spins pretty freely, it feels real smooth, no sticky spots or anything. Something kinda weird though. I notice I can hold the exhaust turbine, and loosen / tighten the compressor turbine by hand, and if I tighten them all the way together, the shaft doesn't want to spin, but if I loosen them up a bit, the shaft will spin freely for ~ .5 - 1 second before it stops. I've never played with an actual turbo before, only read up on them, so I apoligize for my lack of understanding. I think I will just take it apart and see how it looks inside, and to help learn whats going on. Thanks.

btw further scouring of homemadeturbo.com revealed that roadraceengineering.com sells flanges / gaskets for these turbos.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:32 AM

You should not be able to move the turbine wheel seperatly to the compressor wheel. The nut should be tightened to 20lbs/inch (not foot) the shaft should still spin free. It might be because that the wrong thrust bearing has been fitted. Turbo international can supply rebuild kits that include and the bolts and clamps for the housing, new seals, all bearings and the housing seals.