Notices

compressor surge? (researched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compressor surge? (researched)

okay so i have a gsr with a greddy 18g turbo. previously, i had a vortech BOV and i thought the normal sound it made was a fluttering noise, similar to that of the hks ssq. last night, i just put on my greddy type S and it's still making the same noise, and that's when i realized i had been fluttering this whole time.

i tried ******* around with the spring, but that didn't really fix anything because i guess even before this BOV i was fluttering. i checked the vac lines, and everything looks okay.

from the wastegate, i have it T'd to the BOV and to the IM. but there's this little bronze nipple on my charge piping right by the BOV, and i dont know what it is. i checked, but there's no vacuum going through it. on the bottom port of the bov, it's unplugged as well, but most people don't plug it up.

where should i start?

whoever can help me will get 5 dollars to their paypal :-D
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

give your BOV and Wastegate there own lines to the IM and make sure the line from your BOV to the IM is large enough.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM

that little nipple thing on the charge piping is a boost only source. hook it up and it should stop your surging
Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (91crxturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that little nipple thing on the charge piping is a boost only source. hook it up and it should stop your surging</TD></TR></TABLE>

hook it up where?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91crxturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">give your BOV and Wastegate there own lines to the IM and make sure the line from your BOV to the IM is large enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just recently did this. . . here's how i have everything setup.

from the wastegate, it's hooked up to the little nipple on the charge piping.
the BOV is connected directly to the IM.
and the second port on the BOV (greddy type s) isn't plugged.

any ideas?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM

on the bov`
Old 07-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patrick4588)

The second (smaller downward facing) port on the greddy bov is a breather. Leave it open.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try putting on a larger line from the BOV to the IM, even if you need to use a zip tie to hold it in place.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91crxturbo)

Did you ever try adjusting the vortech bov?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (herecomesboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by herecomesboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you ever try adjusting the vortech bov?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i didn't because the setting was real loose already.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91crxturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try putting on a larger line from the BOV to the IM, even if you need to use a zip tie to hold it in place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i doubt that'll fix it. it's still getting vacuum regardless of the size of the line.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the bov`</TD></TR></TABLE>

where would the wastegate get the vacuum then?

** also, do you think i could be surging only because i'm running 5 psi on an 18g?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gsr x civic)

Does your turbo have a fitting on the comp housing? If it does (I'm pretty sure it does) then just connect a line from the wastegate directly to that fitting. Try to cut down on any "T's". Also, don't use a vacuum line that has a inner diameter that is too large, as it will be less responsive. Are you getting surge only when you are letting off the gas at part throttle?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by herecomesboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does your turbo have a fitting on the comp housing? If it does (I'm pretty sure it does) then just connect a line from the wastegate directly to that fitting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how would it be getting vacuum then? and where would i look on the comp housing? i don't think i've seen it before.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by herecomesboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Are you getting surge only when you are letting off the gas at part throttle? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i get surge at full boost @ vtec which is at 5450. i also get surge at partial throttle as well. i mean, could it be that both BOV's i had are just straight up fucked? or what? i'm still thinking that it could just be that the 18g is too big for 5 psi . . ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by herecomesboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Try to cut down on any "T's". Also, don't use a vacuum line that has a inner diameter that is too large, as it will be less responsive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the only T's i have are on the fpr for the boost gauge and the other intake mani line for the BOV. nothing else.
and all of the lines are a really nice and tight fit
Old 07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would be a small nipple/barb on the comp housing of the turbo.

You are getting surge when you shift at wot? Either the bov is not adjusted correctly or it just isnt working at all. Does bov make any noise at all when you shift? Or is the only noise you hear the flutter from the surge?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

it doesn't always blow off. it only blows off when i go into boost with at least 2 psi.

the flutter is more noticeable when im in higher boost levels. i have the bov spring set almost completely loose.

i mean, what are the chances of it being fucked as opposed to the turbo just being too big for 5 psi? that could also be the reason why i'm surging, right?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:59 AM

quit saying the turbo is too big for 5 psi that makes no sense. all turbos flow a different amount of cfm. one turbo at 5psi is different than another at 5 psi. i doubt the problem is with the bov's. if this is the second one with the same issues, its something else. perhaps you have a large vacuum leak? if the vacuum hose you are using is too large, that would do it too. too big a hose is unresponsive. what in hg do you pull at idle?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt the problem is with the bov's. if this is the second one with the same issues, its something else. perhaps you have a large vacuum leak? if the vacuum hose you are using is too large, that would do it too. too big a hose is unresponsive. what in hg do you pull at idle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. my cousin said that all my bov's that i got were fucked, but i doubt i'm unlucky twice. where should i start checking for vacuum leaks?

do you think taking a picture of my setup will help you guys?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM

it may and may not. what in hg do you have at idle. that will tell you if you have a vacuum leak. you have a boost gauge right?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run a vac line from the nipple on the compressor housing to the wastegate..... Your wastegate does not need to see vac. it uses boost to open it.

Give the BOV its own source from the IM. Should fix your problems.

Take a pic of your turbo where the nipple is, your wastegate, your bov and an overall motor shot.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 AM

i run my bov signal from the brake booster. biggest vacuum source on your car.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i run my bov signal from the brake booster. biggest vacuum source on your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any pics o the "T" that you used for that setup? I'm kinda curious
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: compressor surge? (gsr x civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr x civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay so i have a gsr with a greddy 18g turbo. previously, i had a vortech BOV and i thought the normal sound it made was a fluttering noise, similar to that of the hks ssq. last night, i just put on my greddy type S and it's still making the same noise, and that's when i realized i had been fluttering this whole time.

i tried ******* around with the spring, but that didn't really fix anything because i guess even before this BOV i was fluttering. i checked the vac lines, and everything looks okay.

from the wastegate, i have it T'd to the BOV and to the IM. but there's this little bronze nipple on my charge piping right by the BOV, and i dont know what it is. i checked, but there's no vacuum going through it. on the bottom port of the bov, it's unplugged as well, but most people don't plug it up.

where should i start?

whoever can help me will get 5 dollars to their paypal :-D </TD></TR></TABLE>

OH NOES!!!!!!! no t between WG and BOV.
the nipple is ok to run to WG it only needs to see boost.
the BOV needs to see boost and vacuum.

the vortech just makes a woosh sound.

just look in the opening of the vortech see if it is open at idle that will tell you if it at least opens.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor surge? (agrn93ls)

Correct. The vortech unit will be open under vacuum. Hook it back up and check. Is the piston assembly in the bov stuck?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it may and may not. what in hg do you have at idle. that will tell you if you have a vacuum leak. you have a boost gauge right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm close to 20 when i'm in vacuum.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run a vac line from the nipple on the compressor housing to the wastegate..... Your wastegate does not need to see vac. it uses boost to open it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so then where should i run a vac line from the nipple on the charge pipe?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Give the BOV its own source from the IM. Should fix your problems.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's been like that for ~1 week and it hasn't fixed anything.

i'm going to go snap pics. i'll have them in about 20 minutes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr x civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so then where should i run a vac line from the nipple on the charge pipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So is the nipple on the charge pipe or the compressor housing?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

general bay shot

one of two t fittings

BOV spring and nipple on the pipe in the background

wategate line connecting to the nipple on charge pipe

BOV connecting to the line on the intake mani

where can i find the nipple on the comp housing? i tried looking around but i couldn't find it.

thanks again guys!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So is the nipple on the charge pipe or the compressor housing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there's one on the charge pipe but i can't find one on the housing. do i need to get it from under the car?

Quick Reply: compressor surge? (researched)