Notices

... compression and timing question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ... compression and timing question...

... i was thinking of building a budget turbo setup with a zc motor and turbopanda's rod/piston internals... i know that this setup will yield a very low compression ratio (~7.0:1)... i was wondering if this can be remedied with advanced timing?... i know that timing is usual retarded in boosted setups... so how about this... advanced timing in partial throttle/out-of-boost situations and stock/retarded timing while in-boost situations?... anyone?... lemme know... thanks...
Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ... compression and timing question... (1.8T_EG)

You'll be able to run massive amounts of boost since the compression is so low, and the ablility of pump gas octane to withstand the knock at low compression levels. You can either run large amounts of boost, or run moderate amounts and run aggresive timing to make up for the lack of compression.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: ... compression and timing question... (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be able to run massive amounts of boost since the compression is so low, and the ablility of pump gas octane to withstand the knock at low compression levels. You can either run large amounts of boost, or run moderate amounts and run aggresive timing to make up for the lack of compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

... massive amounts of boost, huh?... how much would you say?... 1.5-2 bars?... also, you bring up a good point about pump gas... another thought, with this setup, will i be able to run a moderate amount of boost (1 bar) on 87 octane?...

... but in either case wont it still run like a dog when out of boost?... thanks...
Old 04-29-2003, 04:40 PM

I would never run a boosted car on anything but premium or better. The extra $0.20 a gallon isn't worth the risk of blowing your motor.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (fork)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fork &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would never run a boosted car on anything but premium or better. The extra $0.20 a gallon isn't worth the risk of blowing your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

... this is all hypothetical... and if i ever really did plan on running on 87, i would definitely tune it appropriately... i just wanted to raise a discussion about low compression and lower octane to see what the more knowledgeable people on the board thought...