Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Competition Clutch problem with FI integra

Hey guys,

Need some help.
I have a built b-series integra 462whp and around 300 something torque
with gsr tranny and a stage 4 Competition clutch (6 puck)

At low rpms everything is fine but on the drag strip at high rpms (8300rpm) I have trouble shifting the car. It feels as though I cannot get it into the next gear hence making me loose time between gears.
The clutch is fairly new (installed brand new in june).

What I did notice though, when I'm at 0kmh (parked) in first gear, if I hold the clutch in all the way to the floor and I rev the car all the way up, at 7000rpm the car starts to pull front instead just standing still.

These leads me to believe the clutch does not disangage at high rpm, is this possible? What causes this? What could have caused this? Could it be something else?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Competition Clutch problem with FI integra

check for the clutch being adjusted properly, there is a adjustable rod under the dash that you can allow more or less free play. it sounds like you have too much free play and if this is the case then you need to essentially lengthen the rod. if this is not the problem then look into the hydralics one of them might be going out. i.e slave cylinder or master cylinder.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same problem. I pulled the tranny to check things out and the clutch looks fine. I adjusted the pedal and bought another slave cylinder. We'll see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the slave seems ok when I checked it and the master had a small leak, so I changed the master and problem persists.
Also on the highway after a long drive or very hard pull in fifth gear, the pedal feels loose, does not have the same stiffness. Soon as I let the car rest the pedal feel goes back to normal.

I'll also check the adjusting rod!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely adjust the pedal, thats gotta be your problem. If you keep driving it this way you're going to destroy your clutch because it isnt disengaging all the way
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

def. if temperature plays a role in how it feels then the adjustment is off. i also use synthetic fluid in my clutch just to cut down on the adjustment changing with temp.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm on my 2nd competition clutch - and it'll be my last. They've had issues with their Stage 4 clutches and their customer service is terrible.

My next clutch will be an ACT.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rob03Pro5
I'm on my 2nd competition clutch - and it'll be my last. They've had issues with their Stage 4 clutches and their customer service is terrible.

really? i love my stage 5. maybe a stage 4 is not well suited to your setup.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R.A.T.
Hey guys,

Need some help.
I have a built b-series integra 462whp and around 300 something torque
with gsr tranny and a stage 4 Competition clutch (6 puck)

At low rpms everything is fine but on the drag strip at high rpms (8300rpm) I have trouble shifting the car. It feels as though I cannot get it into the next gear hence making me loose time between gears.
The clutch is fairly new (installed brand new in june).

What I did notice though, when I'm at 0kmh (parked) in first gear, if I hold the clutch in all the way to the floor and I rev the car all the way up, at 7000rpm the car starts to pull front instead just standing still.

These leads me to believe the clutch does not disangage at high rpm, is this possible? What causes this? What could have caused this? Could it be something else?
Just a quick question... is it a 0620 stage 4 or a 1620 (unsprung or sprung)... I had problems with the 1620.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by welfarepc
really? i love my stage 5. maybe a stage 4 is not well suited to your setup.
Well the issue is that I only have about 300whp and 300wtq... and a friend of mine had the same exact issue except he's NA pushing only 200whp also on a Stage 4.

I too haven't heard of many issues with the stage 5 - but the way I've been neglected by CC's customer service is enough for me to look elsewhere.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds to me like your pedal is too low if the master and slave are fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reformedricer
Just a quick question... is it a 0620 stage 4 or a 1620 (unsprung or sprung)... I had problems with the 1620.
I have the sprung stage 4 (1620)
Old 10-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the issue is that I only have about 300whp and 300wtq... and a friend of mine had the same exact issue except he's NA pushing only 200whp also on a Stage 4.

I too haven't heard of many issues with the stage 5 - but the way I've been neglected by CC's customer service is enough for me to look elsewhere.
when you say the same issue, you mean same issue as me?

Tomorrow morning I'll be adjusting the clutch to see if it makes a difference!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your a moron, period.

Most of the people I see having trouble out of comp clutches are morons that make stupid statements like this.

My single disc comp clutch takes 26-27psi via a 80lb/min wheel every weekend. Bring me an act that will handle that, oh my bad there isn't one. I preload the **** out of it, 2nd gear burnouts, flat foot every gear, hot lap it, you name it. If it took a **** tom. I couldn't complain.

ACT clutches are great for slow cars, prob just like the one you own. They tend to think the answer to holding power is to over clamp the **** out of the disc. Comp makes a clutch that will handle the tq a 600whp car puts down but with a stock pedal feel.

Last time we even mentioned to comp in conversation that we may be experiencing a problem with one of their clutches, they wanted it back asap and offered to send a twin right out. Turns out we were actually loosing traction in forth, no clutch issues.

I have quite a few used up act remains at my shop, do you think act would be interested in having them back?

Comp makes bad *** ****, and most that matter know this. I hate seeing idiots bashing a product but not showing any proof, or even an explanation as to why they dislike them.

If the first comp clutch you had sucked *** so bad, why did you replace it with another? Obviously it prob held the power just fine or no one in their right mind would reinstall a problematic brand slips right off the bat clutch. My guess is that your a ricer that can't drive for ****, I've seen lots of pucked clutch setups get owned because of their retarded non driving *** owners. A 3 puck ACT setup in a kids 00si comes to mind, didn't last more than a few oil changes. Do I publicly flame ACT for this?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my CC stage 5 sprung 1420 for over a year now with absolutely no issues, and it sees numerous passes at the track, and is beat on quite often on the street. Badass product with near stock pedal feel, and it grabs like a sumbitch!

OP, hopefully a little pedal adjustment will resolve your issue.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**

Ok so I ajusted my clutch pedal height
I brought the pedal downwards which made my situation worse, then I brought the pedal up
1- It seems to shift smoother but it's hard to tell on the street at high rpms, so I'm heading to the track this weekend
2- After adjusting the pedal, I can now rev the car in first standing still all the way to redline without the car advancing

So I think I have solved my issue but I will only be sure once I go to the track.
Will keep you guys posted on the weekend!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was there a slight squeak when you disengaged the clutch (pushing in the pedal)? I'm wondering is mine needs a slight adjustment.

CC Karbonite clutch hitting 45K miles and grabs like it was installed just yesterday. I can actually chirp 2nd gear.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
Was there a slight squeak when you disengaged the clutch (pushing in the pedal)? I'm wondering is mine needs a slight adjustment.

CC Karbonite clutch hitting 45K miles and grabs like it was installed just yesterday. I can actually chirp 2nd gear.
I don't think the squeak has anything to do with that, you should maybe try using some lithium white grease on it to make it stop.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series
Your a moron, period.

Most of the people I see having trouble out of comp clutches are morons that make stupid statements like this.

My single disc comp clutch takes 26-27psi via a 80lb/min wheel every weekend. Bring me an act that will handle that, oh my bad there isn't one. I preload the **** out of it, 2nd gear burnouts, flat foot every gear, hot lap it, you name it. If it took a **** tom. I couldn't complain.

ACT clutches are great for slow cars, prob just like the one you own. They tend to think the answer to holding power is to over clamp the **** out of the disc. Comp makes a clutch that will handle the tq a 600whp car puts down but with a stock pedal feel.

Last time we even mentioned to comp in conversation that we may be experiencing a problem with one of their clutches, they wanted it back asap and offered to send a twin right out. Turns out we were actually loosing traction in forth, no clutch issues.

I have quite a few used up act remains at my shop, do you think act would be interested in having them back?

Comp makes bad *** ****, and most that matter know this. I hate seeing idiots bashing a product but not showing any proof, or even an explanation as to why they dislike them.

If the first comp clutch you had sucked *** so bad, why did you replace it with another? Obviously it prob held the power just fine or no one in their right mind would reinstall a problematic brand slips right off the bat clutch. My guess is that your a ricer that can't drive for ****, I've seen lots of pucked clutch setups get owned because of their retarded non driving *** owners. A 3 puck ACT setup in a kids 00si comes to mind, didn't last more than a few oil changes. Do I publicly flame ACT for this?
AGREED... I installed the Stage 4 a few months back and its the ****. it feels almost like a stock pedal.

I had an ACT 6 puck clutch before this one and it was a POS... the medal part around the spring cracked and the spring came loose, turned side ways and got wedged (on the highway shifting from 4th to 5th) and the clucth wouldn't open. and go figure im 100 miles from my house when it happens and had to fit large the tow bill ... So i call ACT and send them pics like they asked me too and they tell me its from abuse and that there is nothing they can do even though it was only a year and a half old...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heading to the track tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**

Ok so I ajusted my clutch pedal height
I brought the pedal downwards which made my situation worse, then I brought the pedal up
1- It seems to shift smoother but it's hard to tell on the street at high rpms, so I'm heading to the track this weekend
2- After adjusting the pedal, I can now rev the car in first standing still all the way to redline without the car advancing

So I think I have solved my issue but I will only be sure once I go to the track.
Will keep you guys posted on the weekend!
I know on twin disc's it will do exactly what you are describing when you are "over extending" the clutch, not sure if that apply's to single disc clutches as well.
I had the same issue when i first started my fresh build with my first twin disc, would over extend it and it wanted to lerch forward and would NOT shift into gear. Keep playing with your pedal height, not sure if this helps much.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heading to the track tomorrow!
So what's the verdict?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car shifts smooth!! Clutch disengages!!
Finally got proper numbers!!
60ft --> 1.79
ET --> 11.41 @123 mph!! (shifting only at 8300rpm)!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car shifts smooth!! Clutch disengages!!
Finally got proper numbers!!
60ft --> 1.79
ET --> 11.41 @123 mph!! (shifting only at 8300rpm)!!!
Thats wusup!

CC FTW!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
Thats wusup!

CC FTW!
Hehe! I'm so happy I figured this out and I don't need to spend money for a new clutch!!

Quick Reply: Competition Clutch problem with FI integra