Notices

Comments Appreciated: GTW3884r (6765) version

Old 02-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon6 Comments Appreciated: GTW3884r (6765) version

Wanted to know if anyone else is running this or any similar GTW series series turbo from ATP/Garrett ?
I'll be running this on my GSR build/swap for my 97 Integra.
Check my build thread out :
https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine...00whp-3315277/ GTW3884r
Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default re: Comments Appreciated: GTW3884r (6765) version

It uses the legendary P-TRIM turbine wheel so its a good start for serious power.
What version on the compressor you got?
Its a difficult turbo to get data on because in my opinion that part of the market has HEAVY competition from the Borg Warner and Precision and garrett was too lasy late on the game.
Id say if the compressor is half decent (im sure it is) youll like the turbo. Well youll have ON-OFF kind of power but it can and will deliver huge power.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
It uses the legendary P-TRIM turbine wheel so its a good start for serious power.
Its a difficult turbo to get data on because in my opinion that part of the market has HEAVY competition from the Borg Warner and Precision and garrett was too lasy late on the game.
Id say if the compressor is half decent (im sure it is) youll like the turbo. Well youll have ON-OFF kind of power but it can and will deliver huge power.
I'm have the GTW3884r (6765) with a vband .82 a/r back housing (inlet and outlet)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I like Garrett, I ran those turbo's for years and they have been very reliable. However when it came time to make serious power Garrett fell short. For example, if you wanted a class legal Garrett turbo for let's say True Street, what could they offer that would compete with a Precision Gen2 6785? I've seen that turbo make in the neighborhood of 1200whp which is really hard to beat.

For FIS and the 62mm I tried a bunch of Garrett 62mm combos even custom compressor wheels made by Turbos Direct and was about 100 to 150 horsepower short of Precision 6266 and their custom 6270 FIS class turbo.

What Garrett 72mm could compare to a Precision 7285?

Like I said Garrett is good, customer service is good, reliability is good and performance is good but if you are looking for the most power for competition Precision hands down. To me Garrett is a great turbo for a street car that needs to rely on them to be reliable without problems.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I like Garrett, I ran those turbo's for years and they have been very reliable. However when it came time to make serious power Garrett fell short. For example, if you wanted a class legal Garrett turbo for let's say True Street, what could they offer that would compete with a Precision Gen2 6785? I've seen that turbo make in the neighborhood of 1200whp which is really hard to beat.

For FIS and the 62mm I tried a bunch of Garrett 62mm combos even custom compressor wheels made by Turbos Direct and was about 100 to 150 horsepower short of Precision 6266 and their custom 6270 FIS class turbo.

Like I said Garrett is good, customer service is good, reliability is good and performance is good but if you are looking for the most power for competition Precision hands down. To me Garrett is a great turbo for a street car that needs to rely on them to be reliable without problems.
This build is 450whp+
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC

Yea i originally bought this as mentioned in my build thread for my Subaru but decided to use it on my teggy . I wanted to go with the 6062 for the teggy because i know i could make 700whp on it .
Their Cust Serv suck though as it took them 2+ months to agree to sell me the vband back housing because i had bought the turbo with an open scroll t4 originally .
PTE is the GOAT I would have to admit but i have only been able to "afford" Garrett lol
Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by s0_wavyyy
Yea i originally bought this as mentioned in my build thread for my Subaru but decided to use it on my teggy . I wanted to go with the 6062 for the teggy because i know i could make 700whp on it .
Their Cust Serv suck though as it took them 2+ months to agree to sell me the vband back housing because i had bought the turbo with an open scroll t4 originally .
PTE is the GOAT I would have to admit but i have only been able to "afford" Garrett lol
PTE isn't the GOAT when it comes to reliability and utility. (therefore, no "GOAT") So, don't get that twisted. AZ_CIVIC is right; if it's strictly for drag-racing in specific classes, PTE can make more power. But it comes as a cost. That cost is increased failure rate. When you're at that racing class level, things are expected to be damaged or broken, which is why these teams typically have several turbochargers on duty. They don't expect them to last that long, and have a larger account with PTE directly, in which they can get replacements or service quickly.

Parts availability isn't what makes customer service "the suck" or success. With thousands of people trying to get a few parts that they know may or may not move quickly, it's tricky to find the right formula of capital use of housings (which are expensive) vs. just being available to answer questions or to diagnose problems. I've never seen PTE take any time other than 20 seconds to say something negative about what one does and to just "send it in". If the customer doesn't know WHY their issues are what they are, they're just bound to re-create the same problem.

All of this has to be in context.This is why Europe and other countries don't use much PTE or use PTE in Time Attack, hill climb or endurance races; because they need the reliability more importantly than just 'MORE POWER!!". If you're truly using this for a dual purpose, then you didn't make a wrong choice by going Garrett over PTE. You didn't. But that's based upon YOUR particular utility and use of the turbo, not just power.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comments Appreciated: GTW3884r (6765) version

Ok i just saw youll got the ball bearing version of it. Well. Id say for the ball bearing version id spent some more and get the
"78% turbine efficiency" GTX3584RS.
At least here i can get it at not so scary price compared to EFR's or GTX3582. I dont know about the pricing on the states tho.

edit: Dear god i was about to write this too.But i decided not too.But since shodan mentions it yes :
All of this has to be in context.This is why Europe and other countries don't use much PTE or use PTE in Time Attack, hill climb or endurance races; because they need the reliability more importantly than just 'MORE POWER!!"
Yes precision is pretty much used in allmost zero profesional events here. Just street racers and some random drag racing.
If you want some casual racing here and there holding the wheel straight yes the ball bearing PTE would be fine (id still wouldnt get it because i like to support brands that count QUALITY first) but still too much price for what you get. If you really want to spend 1500 on a turbo EFR and garrett will give you a top product that you actually have some data on.

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 02-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Ok i just saw youll got the ball bearing version of it. Well. Id say for the ball bearing version id spent some more and get the
"78% turbine efficiency" GTX3584RS.
At least here i can get it at not so scary price compared to EFR's or GTX3582. I dont know about the pricing on the states tho.
It's the opposite state-side. Garrett did global distribution of the Gen II stuff first, then started filling distribution shelves with them in the states. The GTX3584R is a completely different animal than the the GTX3582R, and V-band in / V-band out turbine housing availability for that turbine wheel is a little more scarce, but it can be done.

Also, if he destroys that GTW, at least the turbine wheel/shaft can be salvaged separately from the rest of the turbo (if the need arose) verses, a new Supercore with a GTX35----
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
PTE isn't the GOAT when it comes to reliability and utility. (therefore, no "GOAT") So, don't get that twisted. AZ_CIVIC is right; if it's strictly for drag-racing in specific classes, PTE can make more power. But it comes as a cost. That cost is increased failure rate. When you're at that racing class level, things are expected to be damaged or broken, which is why these teams typically have several turbochargers on duty. They don't expect them to last that long, and have a larger account with PTE directly, in which they can get replacements or service quickly.

Parts availability isn't what makes customer service "the suck" or success. With thousands of people trying to get a few parts that they know may or may not move quickly, it's tricky to find the right formula of capital use of housings (which are expensive) vs. just being available to answer questions or to diagnose problems. I've never seen PTE take any time other than 20 seconds to say something negative about what one does and to just "send it in". If the customer doesn't know WHY their issues are what they are, they're just bound to re-create the same problem.

All of this has to be in context.This is why Europe and other countries don't use much PTE or use PTE in Time Attack, hill climb or endurance races; because they need the reliability more importantly than just 'MORE POWER!!". If you're truly using this for a dual purpose, then you didn't make a wrong choice by going Garrett over PTE. You didn't. But that's based upon YOUR particular utility and use of the turbo, not just power.
Bro their Cust Serv SUCKS let me put it in all caps . It took 2 months because for 1 whole month I was told I need to buy a whole new turbo then after about 26 days I was told it is available and took 2 weeks for them to send me the invoice to pay for it. If you ask any sensible human they would agree that in my situation that sucked lol. PTE is goat in my eyes and I have yet to even run 1 .
They out perform Garrett but def doesn't have the longevity as the Garrett , PTE Cust Serv rocks as far as word of mouth from my friends who run it and had smoke issues , sent theirs back and for only shipping cost they were repaired also back housing availability everybody stocks PTE back housings Just saying.
But anyways , lets not get into PTE vs Garrett or Borg etc , I just wanna know if anybody else has ran the GTW series and their outcome if any.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by s0_wavyyy
Bro their Cust Serv SUCKS let me put it in all caps . It took 2 months because for 1 whole month I was told I need to buy a whole new turbo then after about 26 days I was told it is available and took 2 weeks for them to send me the invoice to pay for it. If you ask any sensible human they would agree that in my situation that sucked lol. PTE is goat in my eyes and I have yet to even run 1 .
They out perform Garrett but def doesn't have the longevity as the Garrett , PTE Cust Serv rocks as far as word of mouth from my friends who run it and had smoke issues , sent theirs back and for only shipping cost they were repaired also back housing availability everybody stocks PTE back housings Just saying.
But anyways , lets not get into PTE vs Garrett or Borg etc , I just wanna know if anybody else has ran the GTW series and their outcome if any.
There's no fight. It's a difference of opinion and experience with both companies from a difference of perspectives. What sucked for you worked out for others, and vice versa. I have nothing to fight with at all. You seem... well, sensitive to the issue more than most, if someone has a differing opinion based upon a different experience..It will always be that way.
This turbo has been run by a lot of people, some liked it, others chose something else. There's info all over about it, but not everyone gives feedback on power vs other's power. There's no "data" in it.

I would just think that if you were so animate about it, you'd just be patient enough and just gotten the PTE the 1st time since the "word of mouth" didn't sway your decision enough to where you're asking about something you've purchased already. It almost smells of "buyer's remorse". (Maybe?)

"Bro", it's your car, you're the one asking. We're just answering based on our experience with your initial question. I just make people's brains hurt because I tend to probe more than what you're used to. Capisce?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's no fight. It's a difference of opinion and experience with both companies from a difference of perspectives. What sucked for you worked out for others, and vice versa. I have nothing to fight with at all. You seem... well, sensitive to the issue more than most, if someone has a differing opinion based upon a different experience..It will always be that way.
This turbo has been run by a lot of people, some liked it, others chose something else. There's info all over about it, but not everyone gives feedback on power vs other's power. There's no "data" in it.

I would just think that if you were so animate about it, you'd just be patient enough and just gotten the PTE the 1st time since the "word of mouth" didn't sway your decision enough to where you're asking about something you've purchased already. It almost smells of "buyer's remorse". (Maybe?)

"Bro", it's your car, you're the one asking. We're just answering based on our experience with your initial question. I just make people's brains hurt because I tend to probe more than what you're used to. Capisce?

Lol ! Yea man I'm realizing that many people run the GTW Series , I'll for sure have results in early next month though . Excited to see how it performs , I know I say PTE is goat but i have always ran Garrett because of affordability and I tend to prefer buying my stuff new than used lol.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Yeah this is why I was trying to be specific because I've ran all those turbo's and Shodan is right. Back when I street drove my car I always ran Garrett turbo's, they were affordable, I wasn't concerned about every ounce of power I could make and they are reliable not to mention if I bought them from Turbo Direct, they are local and I could bring it to them direct and have any issues fixed.

PTE is GOAT for many Drag cars looking for every ounce of power for their particular class. I mean if I am in an FWD class and PTE can give me a turbo that makes 1300whp and the best 72mm Garrett will provide me 1000whp, the decision is easy to make. PTE just works and makes freaking power.

I don't really agree with people when they say all PTE stuff breaks, I mean I have heard stories of the journal bearing stuff but the BB stuff I rarely hear of them getting destroyed. PTE Gen2 stuff works very well and I don't think you see them on much road race cars because PTE I think focuses more on power. If you look at their site they don't really off any turbo for under 500 horsepower and really are targeting the higher horsepower crowd.

Any who like others mentioned it really depends on the focus of the car. I am a dedicated drag car guy and that is my only focus LOL so my suggestions are based really on that aspect.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a Honda application but I was seriously considering replacing my GT3582R w/1.06 T3 housing with a 67mm GTW3884R (GTW6765R) turbocharger on my single turbo VQ35DE Infiniti G35.

My current setup struggled to make 600whp on E85 on 19 psi, on 91 octane/pump gas it barely made 500whp. My goal is 750whp, any idea if the GTW turbo would make this much power on my VQ engine? If it could make 7-750whp, what sort of spool could I expect in comparison to my current GT35R?

Thanks all!
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by b20sedan
Not a Honda application but I was seriously considering replacing my GT3582R w/1.06 T3 housing with a 67mm GTW3884R (GTW6765R) turbocharger on my single turbo VQ35DE Infiniti G35.

My current setup struggled to make 600whp on E85 on 19 psi, on 91 octane/pump gas it barely made 500whp. My goal is 750whp, any idea if the GTW turbo would make this much power on my VQ engine? If it could make 7-750whp, what sort of spool could I expect in comparison to my current GT35R?

Thanks all!
Why did you stop at 19psi
Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Car wouldn’t make anymore power beyond that, I’d get an increase in torque but no horsepower gains.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id try a bigger housing before going to bigger turbo. Pseudoscience or ghettoscienence says 1.06 is rougly .60-.70 a/r of t3 open flow wise, and thats exactly the limit i know on GT35 with .63 a/r: 500whp EDIT
On the other hand GTW6765 will be a lot laggier. Its a very big turbo. TheShodan will speculate better. Id say full boost by +1000 rpm of what you have now.

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 02-26-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:06 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Is there a bigger housing available for a GT35R? I thought the 1.06 was effectively the largest housing available.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Car wouldn’t make anymore power beyond that, I’d get an increase in torque but no horsepower gains.
at that pressure, id say you have a resctrition somewhere.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Exhaust back pressure spikes (measured at the turbo exhaust housing)
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok im stupid i somehow thought you were running the T3 divided 1.01 (...)
With the open scroll t3 1.05 you hit full 70lbs. There are many reasons why this is happening(wall at 500whp) we will go way off topic.
Somewere you have a restriction or a leak.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ls joker
at that pressure, id say you have a resctrition somewhere.
I agree. That's the engine's inability to breathe. Even the upgrades to those like the GTX3582 Gen1 can't do 750whp You're out of turbine wheel no matter what exhaust housing you put on it. At 68mm in an N111 profile, nah, about 620whp is all you're going to do with a 61lbsmin compressor wheel.

The 67mm version of the GTW3884R will be significantly laggier, but will more easily make 750whp on a standard T4 open .81 or a divided .84A/R, with its 73.4mm exhaust wheel. 800whp+? maybe at close to 40psi. But for exhaust housing you really don't need any larger. The exhaust wheel profile isn't as efficient as the GTX series at a similar size, but it'll do the job. But I'd also look at getting that engine to breathe a bit better while you're at it, if going to 750whp

If you decide to change to the ball-bearing GTW3884R, you'll need to change only the oil return flange fitting (different from your GT35R), and possibly your turbine housing flange (depending on what you have) Everything else stays the same.
Which specific VQ engine are you using on this?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Yeah, like every off the shelf VQ single turbo kit there are definitely some restrictions, this is the hot side of my kit (The down pipe is 3” in diameter, that’s effectively all I have room for):

The car is a 6MT 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with a built VQ35DE, stock heads, Wiseco 9.5:1 compression pistons, Wiseco rods, ARP 2000 main studs, L19 head studs, etc.

Just curious, if I upgraded the compressor wheel on my GT35R to a GTX wheel would I free up any noticeable power?

I’m still not sure if I want to upgrade to a larger turbo if it means I’m going to sacrifice a significant amount of midrange. A friend of mine upgraded to a large BW EFR turbo and gave up loads of mid range.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Yeah, like every off the shelf VQ single turbo kit there are definitely some restrictions, this is the hot side of my kit (The down pipe is 3” in diameter, that’s effectively all I have room for):

The car is a 6MT 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with a built VQ35DE, stock heads, Wiseco 9.5:1 compression pistons, Wiseco rods, ARP 2000 main studs, L19 head studs, etc.

Just curious, if I upgraded the compressor wheel on my GT35R to a GTX wheel would I free up any noticeable power?

I’m still not sure if I want to upgrade to a larger turbo if it means I’m going to sacrifice a significant amount of midrange. A friend of mine upgraded to a large BW EFR turbo and gave up loads of mid range.
Yeah, the intercooler piping is not the restriction we're looking at here. That's perfectly fine. It's the cylinder head that may be the restriction, but Honda guys aren't used to lower CFM heads in general.
Changing to the GTX wheel wouldn't get you to the 750whp, but there are other options. IF you're trying to get 750whp on a single GT35R-based turbo. you'll have to upgrade completely, although you will lose a good amount of midrange torque that makes street cars, "Oh so fun".. Your buddies EFR9180(?) seems to show.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Yeah, the intercooler piping is not the restriction we're looking at here. That's perfectly fine. It's the cylinder head that may be the restriction, but Honda guys aren't used to lower CFM heads in general.
Changing to the GTX wheel wouldn't get you to the 750whp, but there are other options. IF you're trying to get 750whp on a single GT35R-based turbo. you'll have to upgrade completely, although you will lose a good amount of midrange torque that makes street cars, "Oh so fun".. Your buddies EFR9180(?) seems to show.
Yeah, it was a BW EFR9180 turbo. The thought of spending a good chunk of change on a turbo upgrade and giving up hundred whp and lbs of tq in the midrange is making me think twice. If I could squeeze out another 40-50whp with a GTX wheel upgrade on my current setup that might be worth it to me (wouldn’t need to spend money on modifying the kit for a new turbo, don’t need to upgrade injectors again, clutch, etc.).

Really appreciate your $0.02 TheShodan

Last edited by b20sedan; 02-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comments Appreciated: GTW3884r (6765) version