Notices

Cometic headgasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cometic headgasket leaking

I started noticing that my headgasket is leaking inbetween the head and the block. I now have oil and coolant running mainley down the front of the block. Anyone have the same problem with the Cometic headgaskets and if so what was the cause of it.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (boost fed ls)

what head studs are you using, is the gasket upside down? Did you install it and if you did, are your head studs torqued correctly.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is NOT the headgaskets fault.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (earl)

was the block & head freshly machined before HG install to be perfectly straight? did you copperspray the **** out of it. the cometic gaskets must have a perfect surface where the OEM allows for some imperfection.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (seen4ever)

Oh Lord, whatever you do, don't call up Cometic. There customer service is a lot like the ****'s
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (Benjithx)

Cometic has always been great with me. Maybe because I don't call them saying...
"I blew your head gasket and it has to be your fault. It could not be my tuning or my mechanical problem."
Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use the impact!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was the block & head freshly machined before HG install to be perfectly straight? did you copperspray the **** out of it. the cometic gaskets must have a perfect surface where the OEM allows for some imperfection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did everything except the copperspray the **** out of it, Is this a must when using the cometic headgasket? It still holds compression so I am sure its only leaking from oil/coolant passages in the head. Engine builders please answer!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (fastrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what head studs are you using, is the gasket upside down? Did you install it and if you did, are your head studs torqued correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am using arp head studs, I was thinking it was a problem with me installing the headstuds correctly. What do they need to be torqued to?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You MUST use copper spray with ANY copper headgasket

Also, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED/REQUIRED that you use stainless steel orings in either the block or the head.

Copper headgasket work fine if installed correctly. I know! I just installed an SCE one! gave that bitch 3 layers of copper spray on each side, letting it sit for 15min between coats then letting it tack up for 20min before actually isntalling it....
Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boost fed ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am using arp head studs, I was thinking it was a problem with me installing the headstuds correctly. What do they need to be torqued to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Scary.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (turbotime)

I was not aware that the Cometic headgaskets were made of copper?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, Cometics are multi-layer steel gaskets...no copper
Old 12-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Thats what I thought. Earl have you seen this happen before? Could this be a result of improper tighting of the head studs? Most of the leaking is comming from the front passenger side of the block/head.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of a lot of people blowing cometics and then switching to oem's without any problems. Is there a reason for this? Does the block need to be o-ringed for the cometic gasket to work properly?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most leaks in that corner of the block come from other sources than the head gasket. Usually it is either the valve cover gasket, vtec selenoid, distributor o-ring etc. Everyone swears it is the head gasket but it is normally from another source. The only way the gasket will leak is if it is put on backwards.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vtec selenoid</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see this a lot.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boost fed ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was not aware that the Cometic headgaskets were made of copper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

oops! i thought u were using one of their copper ones (or maybe im thinking GE)

hm neways MLS should seal fine with a stock setup, unless installed upside down. Only oring u can use with MLS are COPPER orings.

they arent required but improve the seal
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Its a mixture of coolant and oil that is running down the front of the block so I am sure its not the vtec solenoid, it also started after the new motor had about 4,000 miles on it. I would think that this would be like this from day 1 if it was put on backwards, please correct me if I am wrong. I hope to have some pics up soon.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most leaks in that corner of the block come from other sources than the head gasket. Usually it is either the valve cover gasket, vtec selenoid, distributor o-ring etc. Everyone swears it is the head gasket but it is normally from another source. The only way the gasket will leak is if it is put on backwards.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea all of those things always seem to collect in that one corner of the block. Espescially the cam seal and valvecover.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yea all of those things always seem to collect in that one corner of the block. Espescially the cam seal and valvecover. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wish thats all it was
Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM

there are directions in the ARP box that tell you to talk to 70 pound feet if you use the moly lube supplied and something different if you use 10w-30. I use the moly lube so I dont know what the other number is . Are you sure the leak is from the right corner looking at the engine from the front, as in under the vtec solenoid.

Most Hondas I have seen that have there head gaskets replaced and dont have the block machined have a slight leak there, but oil only, because there is an oil drain port to the block in that corner and if there isnt a perfect seal at the headgasket there it will leak, like I said oil only.

Worst case scenario your headstuds are loose, you aren't inspiring alot of confidence asking what the torque specs are. But hey we all expletive up and thats how we learn... right... right!

I suggest removing your head again, and replacing the head gasket again. Take your time, Its not hard either have a helms manual or a friend who KNOWS what he's doing. Make sure:
1)the engine is cold
2)you remove the headstuds in stages... a lil bit at a time.
3)Make sure you tighten the headstuds in the correct pattern (check a helms manual).
4)Make sure there is a washer under each nut. Very important.
5)Tighten them in stages 15 foot pounds, 30 foot pounds, 50 foot pounds, 70 foot pounds.
6) dont stress.

Goodluck just do it right and you will be fine, if the car is boosted use another cometic gasket, if its not use OEM.

Rob.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Cometic headgasket leaking (fastrunner)

I was not sure(off the top of my head) what the torque specs were. The one thing that stumped me was the location of the dowl pins (its a ls/vtec motor), where to put them. Tour right I guess we all learn from our mistakes hoping not to make them again
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you did not use dowl pins, i believe the head gasket can move on you and that could cause a problem. You can't just guess on torque specs, pin location, etc.
You will have problems
Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 PM

I searched for the ls/vtec dowl pin location and I got multi answers, so I just guess. I did not guess on the arp head stud torque value, I did what was on the directions and it just seemed to be a litle loose. It might have been my torque wrench that was out of wack.

Quick Reply: Cometic headgasket leaking