Notices

Cold Engine Boost??

Old 11-06-2010, 07:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Engine Boost??

Is it bad , or ok to boost on a cold engine like when it first start befor its full warmed up, i no its not always good but will it hurt anything if it was done once?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold Engine Boost??

Originally Posted by BobbyRodriguez
Is it bad , or ok to boost on a cold engine like when it first start befor its full warmed up, i no its not always good but will it hurt anything if it was done once?

Thanks

In many cases all it takes is once. boosting on a cold motor can unevenly heat internal parts, causing a very high risk of failure. for example forged aluminum pistons expand faster then the sleeves. you go out rag on it, the pistons have a high risk expanding way to fast causing the piston to "cold seize" in the cylinder or chew the heck up the sides/skirts of the piston. it dont take that long to warm the engine up.. let it warm up . just my .02
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hondaruss
In many cases all it takes is once. boosting on a cold motor can unevenly heat internal parts, causing a very high risk of failure. for example forged aluminum pistons expand faster then the sleeves. you go out rag on it, the pistons have a high risk expanding way to fast causing the piston to "cold seize" in the cylinder or chew the heck up the sides/skirts of the piston. it dont take that long to warm the engine up.. let it warm up . just my .02
This is true. That's the reason why tuners will program your ECU to see boost cut if the system is pressurized (going into boost) in cold engine operation, until you reach normal operating temperature.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well my engine just fell flat after like 6k, it was dead cold i was mad very mad got in the car, cursed for a min (still cold) hit the stop sign boosted hard 10psi (still cold), pulling pulling , flat after 6k, still ran, drove the car like 150miles (still mad thinking of stuff) hour and half later went home, Car stat all night / day, started it in the morning pulled in drive way, went out to pick up a pizza , died on me drivin home, walked home got my bike , went back wont start.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

full boost is best at full cold... LOL
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How would you feel if i ran into your room while you were sleeping and I started to beat the **** out of you?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ lol
Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VERY BAD!! this is when the most damage is done to internal combustion engines...not just turboed engines just any engine that is pushed hard right after being started.

Although if your numbers are correct i dont really think thats your problem, 150miles is alot for one sit. If something would have been wrong due to that cold boost it probably would have happened then...not saying it's definitely not though!

how did it die? did it spit and sputter, or just dead stop?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just fell flat right when it hit like 6k, then after it felt like it pulls drops pulls drops like after 3 smooth but flat , but the next day the reason it dyed was my dizzy went out, got no spark , swapped it runs normal again, Was at a light hit first, blew a I/C pipe coupler , the car ran smoother and hard with I/C pipe off fixed at a gas station, boostin again, And i think the reason the pull drop thing is happening is because of a 200 china turbo i bought to replace the last 200 china turbo and i think i need a real trubo, but motor feels ok , no over heat ,oil burn or coolent loss,

i tell you want no more cold boost mad or not, its just my car takes a while to warm up its kinda wired.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just fell flat right when it hit like 6k, then after it felt like it pulls drops pulls drops like after 3 smooth but flat , but the next day the reason it dyed was my dizzy went out, got no spark , swapped it runs normal again, Was at a light hit first, blew a I/C pipe coupler , the car ran smoother and hard with I/C pipe off fixed at a gas station, boostin again, And i think the reason the pull drop thing is happening is because of a 200 china turbo i bought to replace the last 200 china turbo and i think i need a real trubo, but motor feels ok , no over heat ,oil burn or coolent loss,

i tell you want no more cold boost mad or not, its just my car takes a while to warm up its kinda wired.

wtf he say?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

China turbo's are a no no.. all that turbo is good for is boosting the money out of your wallet to keep replacing them. Spend the money get a good turbo and not worry about it.. I been there done that ..it sucks ..just think you have 400 wrapped up in turbos another 2 you can get your self a decently used turbo ...as for falling flat and you mentioned it feel better with the IC pipe of.. is this car tuned at all? what injectors does it have?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondaruss
China turbo's are a no no.. all that turbo is good for is boosting the money out of your wallet to keep replacing them. Spend the money get a good turbo and not worry about it.. I been there done that ..it sucks ..just think you have 400 wrapped up in turbos another 2 you can get your self a decently used turbo ...as for falling flat and you mentioned it feel better with the IC pipe of.. is this car tuned at all? what injectors does it have?
china turbos are fine if you run a restrictor. my brother ran a t3 at 10 psi for 2 years and it was fine!

back on topic like everyone has been saying thinks can unevenly heat resulting in many problems! I wont get into boost till the motor is at normal operating and after I run it hard I wait at least a minute till I shut it down just so everything can get lubricated and idel down
Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, there is just so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. First, great run on sentence; mad props yo. Second, if you don't know that an engine needs time to warm up then you really shouldn't be driving a car.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanix619
Wow, there is just so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. First, great run on sentence; mad props yo. Second, if you don't know that an engine needs time to warm up then you really shouldn't be driving a car.
Especially a boosted honda.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think he meant after 3000 rpms it was smooth then it cut off then smooth then cut off again or something
Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he's trying to say my vtec ain't kicking in yo at 3k rpm.

I had a chinese turbo that I ran 1 bar on for 9months [t3/t4 t04e] and swapped out with a turbonetics t3 and it had 0 shaft play whatsoever and the turbonetics after 2 months of owning it pulled it off for a new manifold and has very little shaft... I guess it just depends sometimes.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
As Soft As A Rock

I sort of have the same issue..

It takes a bit for my car to warm up. Being ~40 degrees here its rather cold. Once I start driving my tempature drop to the "C" mark. If I sit at a light or stop at any given place for a bit.. my tempature climbs up to 1/4-1/2 between hot and cold. I think my tempature stat is stuck open which causes it to fluctuate. The question is.. I am boosted.. so will this drastically effect me being in boost if my tempature is always around "C" when driving?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Acura98guy
I sort of have the same issue..

It takes a bit for my car to warm up. Being ~40 degrees here its rather cold. Once I start driving my tempature drop to the "C" mark. If I sit at a light or stop at any given place for a bit.. my tempature climbs up to 1/4-1/2 between hot and cold. I think my tempature stat is stuck open which causes it to fluctuate. The question is.. I am boosted.. so will this drastically effect me being in boost if my tempature is always around "C" when driving?
change your thermostat.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its street tuned on neptune rtp, didnt have money for dyno, spent all on rtp, but it has 880cc,

I meant it felt like it was boost , N/a , Boost N/A, like a tug and pull type thing back and forth , power , low power, power, low power

I like run-on sentences HA
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Touching My Member

You're an idiot, I can tell.

You mangled your P.O.S, now go fix it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Still fast.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya, you probably broke something..
Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It feels like it wines up to speed threw boost, Maybe my oil pump went to hell
i just had a water pump and belt installed
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wines?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your getting excessive blowby somewhere...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Engine Boost??