Notices

cnc werx sleeve support

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cnc werx sleeve support

curious to know if anyone on here has had any experience with the cnc werx sleeve support for the oem sleeves. also what kind of power have you seen on them and how did the motor last with them...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cnc werx sleeve support

my idea of it is that it blocks the cooling from the top edge of the sleeve were you need it most im not running one on my 350whp pump gas lsv stock 81mm sleeves and i dont have a problem but i personally believe your stock sleeves are gonna last as long as your tune decides too but if you have the extra 100 or 2 and machine cost for install its up too you your gonna have both points of view
Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by terbear4god
my idea of it is that it blocks the cooling from the top edge of the sleeve were you need it most im not running one on my 350whp pump gas lsv stock 81mm sleeves and i dont have a problem but i personally believe your stock sleeves are gonna last as long as your tune decides too but if you have the extra 100 or 2 and machine cost for install its up too you your gonna have both points of view
i have heard people swear by them. but my biggest concern has always been what you just mentioned. the blocking of the cooling on the upper parts of the sleeves. me personally im running a block guard and will probably keep it that way until my bigger motor for sfwd is done. i was curious to see other peoples inputs on them however or peoples first hand account with them...
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Sleeve support (AKA "Block Guard")
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made 773hp & 30plus hits on the motor
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boston Bastard
I made 773hp & 30plus hits on the motor

C'mon, you gotta give more information than that than to say that a high dyno number means that its continually usable, reliable, etc..

Using that direct correlation is just dangerous..
Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe it goes down too the install dont get the werx one tho

what are your hp goals??

setup?block?comp?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

C'mon, you gotta give more information than that than to say that a high dyno number means that its continually usable, reliable, etc..

Using that direct correlation is just dangerous..
First of all he asked what type power can it handle & I told him what it I made
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boston Bastard
First of all he asked what type power can it handle & I told him what it I made
That's because he's using a power number to improperly find a correlation between power and longevity. One power number does not a reliable "block guard" make, especially with no regard to installation, need, use etc..

Sorry if I seem brash, nothing personal, but you gotta understand the number of times people come on here and spout some super high power number and say nothing else to "prove" that a bad idea can still last after his sillyness runs out
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

here is his post on b20vtec, it even has Boston Bastard's car and numbers lol! design looks promising to me, and I talked with the guy that does the work and apparently ZERO failures to date.

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/engine...rt-system.html
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by GEN2 LS
here is his post on b20vtec, it even has Boston Bastard's car and numbers lol! design looks promising to me, and I talked with the guy that does the work and apparently ZERO failures to date.

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/engine...rt-system.html
Cool... Go ahead.. let him try after only one dyno testimony
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool... Go ahead.. let him try after only one dyno testimony
nothing to it but to do it:p it might work, it might not! I don't think hondas would have gotten to the point they have now if people didn't "try" something out. I know back in 2001 if any stock block honda was making 300-350whp, everyone and their mom would say "it's gonna blow, too much power blah, blah, blah" Look at hondas in 2011 so many stock block 300+hp cars running around without a worry and now it's the staple of the community (excluding d-series)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM

nothing to it but to do it:p it might work, it might not! I don't think hondas would have gotten to the point they have now if people didn't "try" something out. I know back in 2001 if any stock block honda was making 300-350whp, everyone and their mom would say "it's gonna blow, too much power blah, blah, blah" Look at hondas in 2011 so many stock block 300+hp cars running around without a worry and now it's the staple of the community (excluding d-series)
I'm looking at the fact that since 1998 (first time I ever had one used), LITTLE HAS CHANGED with the failure rate, except for the fact that the installation is varied, which makes the biggest difference. He's simply going by an option in which he's going by ONE big power number, and nothing else..

But you know what? you're absolutely right... let him "try".. I'll make sure that I bring this back up when you advice someone not to use a full-"ebay kit" next time because he shouldn't "try it"... After all, it isn't 2001, any more right?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking at the fact that since 1998 (first time I ever had one used), LITTLE HAS CHANGED with the failure rate, except for the fact that the installation is varied, which makes the biggest difference. He's simply going by an option in which he's going by ONE big power number, and nothing else..

But you know what? you're absolutely right... let him "try".. I'll make sure that I bring this back up when you advice someone not to use a full-"ebay kit" next time because he shouldn't "try it"... After all, it isn't 2001, any more right?

we are all aware ebay turbo kits are hit or miss, the market is flooded with them so of course it will be more feedback. So few people have used this process that's its hard to get many opinions/feedback on it's performance. Looks like a better process than a traditional block guard which I think is a waste of money yet companies continue to sell them and people keep buying them.....

co-worker 475whp b16a3:/
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you gonna do a block guard, the CNC werx is the only way to go. No other block guard ever fits true and supports every bit of the sleeve like theirs.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, providing the block gaurd can provide sufficient flow and isn't causing heat to build up around the top of the cylinders i can only see them as having a positive effect. I'm a fan of Golden Eagles design myself....
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 AM

we are all aware ebay turbo kits are hit or miss, the market is flooded with them so of course it will be more feedback. So few people have used this process that's its hard to get many opinions/feedback on it's performance. Looks like a better process than a traditional block guard which I think is a waste of money yet companies continue to sell them and people keep buying them.....

co-worker 475whp b16a3:/
Now that's how you push a debate to where parties can get along. Thank you. If you have any information about that particular company.. (since you are partial to it) please go right ahead and TELL me what the true differences are. "Process", installation differences, etc. It's gotta be something differentiating this BLOCK GUARD other than the name alone.. So please, by all means.. hop to it.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-04-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt the inner sleeve the weak part of the stock sleeves??? the only thing i see a block gaurd doing is for the movement but your still limited its almost worth saving pennies and getting a sleeved bare block for 8-1000 maybe even cheaper i know the werx block gaurd's arnt cheap im gonna stick too my idea after everything iv seen

life is based off a tune
i evan feel like im pushing my stock sleeves at 353whp 254trq ls 81mm but than again im using the upgraded nippon pistons and ls rods with arp rod bolts fully balanced evan if i lost my bottom end atleast i diddent have a 1000 into forged pistons and rods

the way i see it is if you dumped cash for pistons and rods dont push it and take the risk just save up for real sleeves
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe it goes down too the install dont get the werx one tho
Please explain this statement.

I hear good things about this system from a few people who have them installed......i personally have a bare block i want to send them.....its under $300 + shipping versus $1000+ for block sleeving...This is advertised as an 'alternative" to sleeving.....for those not building a track monster & literally just want added piece of mind on a daily driven car, contact them & actually speak to someone there to answer your questions...as of now i believe this is rated up to 600hp which is good enough for any daily driven vehicle...if your trying to make serious power in my opinion then get it sleeved.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m3tech95
Please explain this statement.

I hear good things about this system from a few people who have them installed......i personally have a bare block i want to send them.....its under $300 + shipping versus $1000+ for block sleeving...This is advertised as an 'alternative" to sleeving.....for those not building a track monster & literally just want added piece of mind on a daily driven car, contact them & actually speak to someone there to answer your questions...as of now i believe this is rated up to 600hp which is good enough for any daily driven vehicle...if your trying to make serious power in my opinion then get it sleeved.
becouse i dont believe paying that much for sleeve walking i dont believe its the problem with the sleeves "walking" its the inside oem sleeve cracking due too detonation and abuse if you have 300plus shipping you should just save for real sleeves or find a sleeved bare block.. if you really find it nessesary too support the stock sleeves id just get a 100$ Golden eagle one ...the cars they show on werx post are track driven and i have too say i doubt their running pump 91-93oct

its a bad thought too think you can push your stock sleeve block higher daily just becouse you have a properly installed "block Guard"
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^ I don't think they'll save a sleeve from cracking under a spike of high cylinder pressure. The way i see it there is a direct relationship between cylinder wall thickness & quality against the power output/cylinder pressure what the engine will be seeing. OEM sleeves were NEVER designed to see the cylinder pressures and heat some of us boosted guys run... and thats on a 81mm bore... I don't follow this "reliability" thing with stock sleeves, it may work for some for so long but it will only be a matter of time before the sleeves either fails or go out of round... Basically it will never be close to a sleeved block.. Just my £00.02...
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
^^^^^ I don't think they'll save a sleeve from cracking under a spike of high cylinder pressure. The way i see it there is a direct relationship between cylinder wall thickness & quality against the power output/cylinder pressure what the engine will be seeing. OEM sleeves were NEVER designed to see the cylinder pressures and heat some of us boosted guys run... and thats on a 81mm bore... I don't follow this "reliability" thing with stock sleeves, it may work for some for so long but it will only be a matter of time before the sleeves either fails or go out of round... Basically it will never be close to a sleeved block.. Just my £00.02...
POW!

one of "cnc's" post:

"Sorry, at this point I am not offering the CSS for the B20's. The reason, is because the process needs to have a couple failures before I can truely understand its limits and so far there hasn't been one failure. The B20 has unique cylinders which are joined and are proven to crack between cylinders. While I believe the CSS will help any aluminum open deck block, I do not want the first "cylinder crack with CSS" to be between the cylinders on a B20 because its a known weak spot."

why would that effect it??wouldent that be what his support should do??

his post backfires becouse the only reason he wont is becouse b20 sleeves are already 84mm so its like bringing the 81mm on an ls out too 84mm evan he relizes it will not make your inner sleeves any stronger or be able too take any more abuse.

too me its either "real sleeves"
or stock with a good tuner.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Personally, providing the block gaurd can provide sufficient flow and isn't causing heat to build up around the top of the cylinders i can only see them as having a positive effect. I'm a fan of Golden Eagles design myself....
Maybe, but these type things are only ever a band aid. Sleeve it or keep the power down
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM

POW!

one of "cnc's" post:

"Sorry, at this point I am not offering the CSS for the B20's. The reason, is because the process needs to have a couple failures before I can truely understand its limits and so far there hasn't been one failure. The B20 has unique cylinders which are joined and are proven to crack between cylinders. While I believe the CSS will help any aluminum open deck block, I do not want the first "cylinder crack with CSS" to be between the cylinders on a B20 because its a known weak spot."

why would that effect it??wouldent that be what his support should do??

his post backfires becouse the only reason he wont is becouse b20 sleeves are already 84mm so its like bringing the 81mm on an ls out too 84mm evan he relizes it will not make your inner sleeves any stronger or be able too take any more abuse.

too me its either "real sleeves"
or stock with a good tuner.
Interesting.. Which proves my point that even the developer of this block guard is being safe in saying that he can't perform miracles, (just like any other block guard manufacturer, and is the reason why I was so hard on Boston Bastard on this 775whp dyno build; cnc can't defy the laws of physics or Honda's manufacturing process, so it just goes to show that good installation, and a decent amount of luck is needed to use such a device on a stock sleeved car. Came from the man himself (supposedly), so like with any other block guard; BE CAREFUL, ITS NOT THE SAME AS SLEEVEING.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
Maybe, but these type things are only ever a band aid. Sleeve it or keep the power down
I agree with stock sleeves. But when you have a sleeves block whats still a open deck they may have some benefit (like me with the darton flanged sleeves).

Quick Reply: cnc werx sleeve support