Notices

which clutch to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which clutch to get?

i currently have a ACT HD 6puck. i like the way it grabs, but the chatter is annoying. since i plan on changing out my clutch... i was wondering if i should change out my clutch and try something new... and better.

any recommendations?

should i get a new flywheel? im sure my stock flywheel is worn because of the ACT.

i have a 94 integ.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which clutch to get? (SIK IN DA HED)

action
Old 03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which clutch to get? (XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX)

i have the action 2ks disk for sale, https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=776986. the clutch is extremely smooth. chatter will be a thing of the past .
Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: which clutch to get? (blufke)

ACT still gets my vote, all unsprung disks are have the possibility of chattering... If you need any more clamping power than upgrade to the Xreme or Maxx Xtreme pressure plate... Tilton also gets a but it's probably overkill depending on you setup...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:47 AM
New User

Default Re: which clutch to get? (blufke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blufke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chatter will be a thing of the past .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-04-2004, 10:48 AM

Clutchmaster's Stage 3.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Silverbeast)

RPS 6puck sprung with the 1700lb dual diaghpram pressure plate
Old 03-12-2004, 05:48 PM
New User

anyone use the regular ACT street clutch (spring)?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hum well your at 209whp and 170tq

I would simply just reccomend the Action 1KS with tribico kevlar dis.... sprung too
the run about $370ish

or

CM stage3...

I also hate chattering clutch.... I won't mind unless I have like a 500whp setup with a chattering clutch hehe for my daily driven car it's embarassing as hell....
Old 03-12-2004, 07:46 PM

What you have would be great in an all motor drag car (Skunk2 has used this same setup for years), but it is not really meant for the street.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FX300
Old 03-12-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: which clutch to get? (Kataku2K3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACT still gets my vote, all unsprung disks are have the possibility of chattering...</TD></TR></TABLE>Thanks for the vote.
I am afraid you are mistaken about chatter though. A spring center race disc will actually chatter more than a rigid center disc. Maybe you don't realize that clutch chatter is actually the engine rocking in the motor mounts as the clutch is trying to engage. Because of the nature of aggressive friction materials, as you modulate the clutch, they try to cycle from grab to slip (with little in between) if allowed to by the windup affect of the flexible mounts. The engine ends up bouncing off of the mounts as the clutch is deciding if it want to grab or slip. A spring center disc will amplify this a little because it adds more windup affect. Usually the stronger the take off, the easier it is to not "chatter".

Just to drive this point home a bit, if you put the same clutch (or even the most aggressive clutch), put it in a race car with solid mounts, the clutch will engage totally smooth. The solid mounts will not allow for any windup affect and therefore the clutch is not allowed to cycle. Of course the car will vibrate like crazy and make a lot of noise, but the clutch engages smooth.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which clutch to get? (ACTman)

I recommend ACT now until someone is really hardcore...then it's Tilton.

They have really seemed to get their 'ACT' together.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which clutch to get? (ACTman)

We've run ACT clutches in our NA race car before (solid motor mounts) and <U>still</U> have gotten chatter just as on many street cars with aftermarket mounts/inserts. I've never reduced the amount of chatter when swapping from factory to Hasport mounts or after installing Prothane inserts and from what you are saying it should still make a difference (not allowing so much "windup"). I don't want to get into an arguement here, I'm simply saying from everything I've seen motor rock isn't 100% directly related to chatter. Just my $0.02
Old 03-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Chatter to me is a twin disk clutch at idle...
Old 03-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which clutch to get? (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Chatter to me is a twin disk clutch at idle...</TD></TR></TABLE>
What clutch do you have? Tilton? We ONLY run them on our FI setups and they do just fine (well besides Brian's pressure plate cracking last month), doesn't really matter tho as they sent him an entire replacement after we ran the hell out of his car/motor on the street and at the track for over a year.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tilton Single..in my motor car.

Have driven Twin Disk Tilton and Twin Clutchmasters...
Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 PM
WEST COAST

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i currently have a ACT HD 6puck. i like the way it grabs, but the chatter is annoying. since i plan on changing out my clutch... i was wondering if i should change out my clutch and try something new... and better.

any recommendations?

should i get a new flywheel? im sure my stock flywheel is worn because of the ACT.

i have a 94 integ.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that your hp in your sig if so try a stock disc with a xtreme pressure plate your going to have to have a heavier pedal but at least no more chatter
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 PM

RPS clutch for sure...

I had an RPS carbon 4puck... god damn the thing was smooth and engaged fast...

Old 03-13-2004, 09:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kataku2K3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We've run ACT clutches in our NA race car before (solid motor mounts) and <U>still</U> have gotten chatter just as on many street cars with aftermarket mounts/inserts. I've never reduced the amount of chatter when swapping from factory to Hasport mounts or after installing Prothane inserts and from what you are saying it should still make a difference (not allowing so much "windup"). I don't want to get into an arguement here, I'm simply saying from everything I've seen motor rock isn't 100% directly related to chatter. Just my $0.02</TD></TR></TABLE>That's interesting. I don't know what to say about the solid mounts since we have never experienced chatter on a solid mount car. In testing numerous friction materials on our test mule (9 sec. Camaro with Jerico trans, rigid center clutch, solid mounts) we never experienced chatter. I didn't dream up this concept though. The information is taken straight out of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) book on clutches.

From the feedback we have gotten, going to a stiffer mount (Prothane inserts, etc.) may reduce chatter but it usually doesn't get rid of it. I didn't want to get into techno-bable. My point was that a spring center disc will contribute to chatter (on an aggressive disc) not reduce it. I appreciate you opinions and feedback. Maybe you can drop me an email to explain your experiences so we can possibly benefit from the information. There are many factors involved in clutch chatter and each vehicle is different. Thanks again.