Notices

Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..?

Simple and short.. I installed an MSD 3-bar into civicflnm1s Civic last night, but for the life of me I cannot get the car to idle properly. The install was done as per Hondata's instructions and when checking the wiring, I noticed something odd. Doug says:

"Check the wire voltages with a multi-meter to make sure the wiring has been performed correctly. With the ignition switch on but the engine not running the standard MAP sensor should read 2.85V between the MAP signal and GND wires. The 3 Bar MAP sensor should read 1.6V."

...yes after plugging in the 3-bar rom and turning the key 'on', the voltage at the MAP signal was still 2.8v. Any idea what can be causing this? The rom was setup for use with a 3-bar but the car keeps idling at 19-20:1 A/F no matter how much fuel I dump in the low map. Anybody esle experience anything similar?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (VTC_CiViC)

which version are u using?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (turbodGSR)

Tried this with 1.66 and 1.65v3
Old 04-10-2004, 07:09 PM

did you try a different map sensor? that one seems wack. if the thing says 2.8 at 0psi, you are probably idleing in a boost column or close to it.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (ndogg)

youll never get the car to idle those big injectors will its still using the o2 sensor. it will try and achieve a lean micture at idle for fuel economy but it will cut the injector pulse widths to a point that even though its setup for bigger injectors it will still cut it down to a point that it wont idle worth ****, same thing happens with hondata and big injectors
i know it would suck for fuel economy but try disabaling the o2 sensor and see what happens, if the tune is good it shouldnt waste too much gas anyway
Old 04-11-2004, 05:23 AM

this was just covered two or three days ago....

did you change your program to read the 3 bar???? If you have a hondata set up to read a 2 bar honda MAP... you can't just hook up a 3 bar. you must have the program inside of the Hondata set to the 3 bar option.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (Dr Honda)

ithe 3-bar works for me in version 1.65 repack3 and 5, but i cant get it working on 1.66. When i bought my first map sensor from GM it was stuck at 2.6v no matter what, turns out it was a junk sensor. The new one now reads about 1.55v KOEO, hope that helps at all.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (turbodGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ithe 3-bar works for me in version 1.65 repack3 and 5, but i cant get it working on 1.66. When i bought my first map sensor from GM it was stuck at 2.6v no matter what, turns out it was a junk sensor. The new one now reads about 1.55v KOEO, hope that helps at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it does, maybe i got a bad sensor
Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (Dr Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this was just covered two or three days ago....

did you change your program to read the 3 bar???? If you have a hondata set up to read a 2 bar honda MAP... you can't just hook up a 3 bar. you must have the program inside of the Hondata set to the 3 bar option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you read his first post?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rom was setup for use with a 3-bar </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get this 3-bar to idle correctly..? (R@mon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R@mon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youll never get the car to idle those big injectors will its still using the o2 sensor. it will try and achieve a lean micture at idle for fuel economy but it will cut the injector pulse widths to a point that even though its setup for bigger injectors it will still cut it down to a point that it wont idle worth ****, same thing happens with hondata and big injectors
i know it would suck for fuel economy but try disabaling the o2 sensor and see what happens, if the tune is good it shouldnt waste too much gas anyway</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not using an O2 sensor. I tried letting the PR4 run it's LTFT course but it simply didn't get along with the injectors cutting the cycle back to the point where the injectors would barley fire. Only way I got it to idle decently was by disabling closed loop altogether.

I just wish Uberdata had the same ability to run the car in closed loop through a specific mB like Hondata so I coulr worry a little less about idle trim and focus on PT driving, but either way it's doing the job quite well right now.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MAP sensor output is independent of any software or ECU you run.

You provide the MAP a 5v reference and ground and it spits out a voltage: 2.85v for our stockers and well, 1.6v for a 3bar, key-on, engine-off.

So if you're not even getting the 1.6v w/KOEO, this is not the fault of the software.