Notices

Called Eagle Rods This Morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Called Eagle Rods This Morning

I spoke to a gentleman named Rick who is the Eagle Rod technical "guru" According to the receptionist anyway.

Asked about his Eagle rods with 3/8 bolt for a B18C motor and the recommeneded max horsepower usage.

He told me they have tested them in a four cylinder applications up to 950 horsepower. And would not hesitate to rate them at 200whp per cylinder with the bigger bolts.

This is strictly an FYI post. If the rods were to bend or distort at any power level under thatn Rick said they would replace them.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might want to get that put in writing if you go by it.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Helsinki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might want to get that put in writing if you go by it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I am not going by it. They will only be pushed to about 125whp per cylinder in my application.

Just thought I would pass the info along since nobody seemed to know what the actual rating is.

It is interesting info as well becasue I called a year or more ago and they told me no more than 100whp per cylinder but that was with the smaller bolts as well.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Called Eagle Rods This Morning (asubennett)

I've seen the smaller bolts run over 400whp for years, and through many installs. They are fine at 100whp per cylinder.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Called Eagle Rods This Morning (Stop the Beast)

Shane, a local tuner here in MN called eagle once when the ricers started freaking out over the bolts breaking and eagle rods being junk. They also told him 1000WHP
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM

He is referring to the ARP rod bolts correct?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

i've emailed before and they told me 1000hp on 3/8" bolts.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93preludes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93preludes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've emailed before and they told me 1000hp on 3/8" bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep exactly:

250hp per cylinder with the 3/8 ARP rod bolts per Eagle MFG.

I don't see too many Honda engines on here making more than 800whp so I don't know why you would need to spen $1,000 plus on rods for the exotic manufactuers.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (asubennett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asubennett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep exactly:

250hp per cylinder with the 3/8 ARP rod bolts per Eagle MFG.

I don't see too many Honda engines on here making more than 800whp so I don't know why you would need to spen $1,000 plus on rods for the exotic manufactuers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe they dont want u to know that they have that much power? not that they could do anything with it... spin spin spin
Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSTEG96)

dude who cares whats the point of this
Old 02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude who cares whats the point of this</TD></TR></TABLE>

A whole bunch of people in Earls bent Carrillo rod post questioned what the actual rating of Eagle rods was.

What was the point of your post. To start an argument or to contribute? Lame ***.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asubennett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A whole bunch of people in Earls bent Carrillo rod post questioned what the actual rating of Eagle rods was.

What was the point of your post. To start an argument or to contribute? Lame ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait me? i wasnt trying to start anything...

and for turbodc whatever... i think its called post whoring. hes trying to get the count up
Old 02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSTEG96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wait me? i wasnt trying to start anything...

and for turbodc whatever... i think its called post whoring. hes trying to get the count up </TD></TR></TABLE>

No not you. I quoted TURBODC4TEG.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy was making close to 600whp with his eagles and not one problem i see nothing wrong with the eagle rods
Old 02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbolshatch)

I put down 445hp on my b16 with the smaller bolts a few years ago. With the 3/8th's bolt I would have no problem using them up to 600hp maybe more, but that's just me.

Good luck with your setup!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asubennett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If the rods were to bend or distort at any power level under thatn Rick said they would replace them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually by the time they bend you have to pull over and pick them up of the road. It's good they would cover that but i'm sure people wouldn't want the chance to take them up on the offer.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Called Eagle Rods This Morning (nsxmatt)

i made well over 500whp on the small bolt arp eagle rods and spun them to 9800rpms last year. Eagle got a bad wrap years back and then everyone was scared of them unless they didn't go over 400whp. its just a cat & mouse game.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Called Eagle Rods This Morning (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Usually by the time they bend you have to pull over and pick them up of the road. It's good they would cover that but i'm sure people wouldn't want the chance to take them up on the offer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed 100%. But it was better then what Earl experienced with Carrillo.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To put this as nicely as possible...Eagle tech support is a joke and not to be believed.
Ask them for one shread of proof to their claims. Ask them how much to stretch a rod bolt. Ask them for the formula for rating rods. Ask them if their rods are made from one forging or two (it has to do with grain pattern). Heck, ask them about the grain pattern of their rods. They will probably give you the phone number to someone in China for the hard questions.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Called Eagle Rods This Morning (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To put this as nicely as possible...Eagle tech support is a joke and not to be believed.
Ask them for one shread of proof to their claims. Ask them how much to stretch a rod bolt. Ask them for the formula for rating rods. Ask them if their rods are made from one forging or two (it has to do with grain pattern). Heck, ask them about the grain pattern of their rods. They will probably give you the phone number to someone in China for the hard questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are probably right. But at least they will replace my $350 rods. lol Carillo wouldn'd do the same for you.

But I am not understanding why you say rods should only be rated by rpm and not take into consideration HP and torque?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know of a few on eagle rods with small bolts over 500whp with no issues. The reason people were breaking those bolts were because they didn't torque them properly
Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asubennett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But I am not understanding why you say rods should only be rated by rpm and not take into consideration HP and torque?</TD></TR></TABLE>Horsepower is created on the power stroke of a 4 cycle engine. During that stroke the rod is under compression. It is much harder to compress an item so the rod is stronger in compression than on the top of the exhaust cycle when the rod is trying to tear itself apart (by stretching) before it changes directions. It is one of those mass x velocity squared formulas that I will research. Velocity increases with rpms and causes more force on the rod. This is a horrible explanation and I will do more research and will start a new thread on it in the future.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What was the point of your post. To start an argument or to contribute? Lame ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wasn't starting anything, dude i have heard they support 600whp some say different ask the big guru's like art or tony or b18bturbo

it has been covered serveral times

atleast earl told their service rep was a joke

i mean hardly anything is warrantied these days

i wasn't whoring either, i just wasted time reading the thread,

good luck guys
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 PM

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

Jeff at evans-tuning tuned one motor with eagles to 762 horse to the wheels, looks like they held o.k. I personally never had a problem with them either, at 400 or 500 whp. I had the small bolts 3-4 years ago and then built a motor with the big bolts and now I running crower rods because I make more money now
Old 02-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (revhardsi)

I used eagle big bolt rods in a customers gsr (he was broke and just wanted a temp rod till taxs came) well we ended up making 570 whp on this engine on the dyno and its been street driven and raced at the track for the last 5 months..looks like eagle are getting better.

but I also think the tune plays the biggest role in parts/sleeve survival..

Quick Reply: Called Eagle Rods This Morning