Notices

Breaking up in boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking up in boost

2.0L turbo GSR. Hondata S300. The motor will not go over 4900 rpm/3# of boost. At that point it just breaks up and feels like it is hitting a rev limiter. This problem just started recently. I have already tried swapping the igniter, coil, and new plugs. I've tried the plugs gapped all the way down to 20 thou with no luck. I have tried both resistor and non resistor plugs in it. I don't feel it is tune related as the car has been running fine. The AFR is 12.3:1 at 3# when it is breaking up.

Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Breaking up in boost

this si the issue I as having when i was running the MSD dizzy. I recently have swapped to the t1 trigger, and all is well now man. I am not sure if this is your issue or not, but dam near the same issue I was having myself.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost cut?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked the rotor button screw...my friend had a bad cutting out issue and the screw backed out.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanman000719
this si the issue I as having when i was running the MSD dizzy. I recently have swapped to the t1 trigger, and all is well now man. I am not sure if this is your issue or not, but dam near the same issue I was having myself.
I have the stock ignition on it, no msd. It just seems odd to me that the car has always run fine before this and now it doesn't. I think something just went bad but idk what else to check.

Originally Posted by b20beast83
boost cut?
Boost cut is set much higher. I checked the logs and it is not showing the ignition or fuel being cut when it breaks up.

Originally Posted by zccivicex
have you checked the rotor button screw...my friend had a bad cutting out issue and the screw backed out.
Yeah it's fine. I had it apart when I swapped coils and when I swapped igniters. The cap and rotor look new.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar issue recently. It ended up bein the rotor. Try swapping out the rotor with a new one $34 from honda.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i had same problem right now, just ordered new dizzy waiting for it to get here!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is 4900 RPM where the Vtec crossover is by a chance?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ctr32
yeah i had same problem right now, just ordered new dizzy waiting for it to get here!
I just put a brand new one from acura in the car about 3k miles ago. One of the pickups inside it had went bad in the last one.

Originally Posted by Rdriver
Is 4900 RPM where the Vtec crossover is by a chance?
No it's not set there. I thought the same thing so we turned it up higher for now just to make sure that was not affecting it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check fuel filter?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check fuel filter?
Thought about that and I am planing to change it today. It only has about 3k miles on it also but it won't hurt to change it.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah let me if that did anything!

Originally Posted by wantasol
Thought about that and I am planing to change it today. It only has about 3k miles on it also but it won't hurt to change it.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of plugs are you running?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah let me if that did anything!
I haven't tried it yet but I doubt that is the problem. The AFR looks perfect and it would be going lean if it was a fuel supply issue.

Originally Posted by AbitAvenger
what kind of plugs are you running?
BKR7E normally but I also tried a heat range hotter in the non resistor plug with no change.

Today I tried a cap and rotor, new dist. housing, another coil. Still has the same problem. I pulled one of the turbo couplers off so it would not make boost. The car runs fine that way since there is no load and does not break up. As soon as it was hooked back up and saw 2# of boost it broke up again. I guess it only happens under a load. Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn...maybe it is tuning man..Im taken mine thursday to get tuned and everything

I haven't tried it yet but I doubt that is the problem. The AFR looks perfect and it would be going lean if it was a fuel supply issue.

BKR7E normally but I also tried a heat range hotter in the non resistor plug with no change.

Today I tried a cap and rotor, new dist. housing, another coil. Still has the same problem. I pulled one of the turbo couplers off so it would not make boost. The car runs fine that way since there is no load and does not break up. As soon as it was hooked back up and saw 2# of boost it broke up again. I guess it only happens under a load. Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn...maybe it is tuning man..Im taken mine thursday to get tuned and everything
I had the tuner riding in the car today with his laptop and nothing looked out of the ordinary.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you shoot the timing light to ensure base timing is still set correctly?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im telling you this sounds just like my issue i was having man my tuner said the magnetic rotor in the dizzy wasnt being picked up by the crank angle sensor. we scrapped the dizzy slapped a T1 cam trigger in and walla is perfect.

I hope you guys find the issue before you have more than you already have
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah my s300 throws a code for the crank angle sensor. so it must be the dizzy? new one will be here monday!!!!

Originally Posted by sanman000719
im telling you this sounds just like my issue i was having man my tuner said the magnetic rotor in the dizzy wasnt being picked up by the crank angle sensor. we scrapped the dizzy slapped a T1 cam trigger in and walla is perfect.

I hope you guys find the issue before you have more than you already have
Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, today we tried a completely new dist. and wires. Same issue. Had the tuner go back to the stock map and retune it just to see if it was the tune. It still would not go over 2.x# of boost w/o breaking up. Checked the base timing before and after the dist. swap and it looked perfect. Also, I thought maybe it could be related to the MAP sensor so we went back to the stock map and adjusted the settings accordingly. Still same issue. I'm starting to think something happened in the Hondata S300 box since there isn't much left in the ignition system to check.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn

Well, today we tried a completely new dist. and wires. Same issue. Had the tuner go back to the stock map and retune it just to see if it was the tune. It still would not go over 2.x# of boost w/o breaking up. Checked the base timing before and after the dist. swap and it looked perfect. Also, I thought maybe it could be related to the MAP sensor so we went back to the stock map and adjusted the settings accordingly. Still same issue. I'm starting to think something happened in the Hondata S300 box since there isn't much left in the ignition system to check.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like you have been checking everything, fuel, ignition, sensors. One sensor I didn't see mentioned was the TPS. Make sure that is not loose or reading the wrong voltage. Im guessing the S300 would tell you?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try advancing the ignition at the distributor and do a pass if it makes a full pass then you know your timing maps are too conservative, and also try gapping the plugs down and check the spark plug wires.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acc98ord
Seems like you have been checking everything, fuel, ignition, sensors. One sensor I didn't see mentioned was the TPS. Make sure that is not loose or reading the wrong voltage. Im guessing the S300 would tell you?
TPS is ok. We checked that also but I forgot to mention it on here.

Originally Posted by tofast4uh22
try advancing the ignition at the distributor and do a pass if it makes a full pass then you know your timing maps are too conservative, and also try gapping the plugs down and check the spark plug wires.
Plugs have been gapped from 28 thou all the way down to 15 thou. Same issue for all the gaps we tried. I really do not think it is the ignition map since the car ran perfect 5 days ago but I can give that a shot. I have checked pretty much ever thing I know of except the S300.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u think the s300 is trashed?

TPS is ok. We checked that also but I forgot to mention it on here.

Plugs have been gapped from 28 thou all the way down to 15 thou. Same issue for all the gaps we tried. I really do not think it is the ignition map since the car ran perfect 5 days ago but I can give that a shot. I have checked pretty much ever thing I know of except the S300.

Quick Reply: Breaking up in boost