Notices

bosting a 95mm crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bosting a 95mm crank

waz up fellas! just though i would get some input from this.

I have a STROKER KIT from EAGALE (95mm forged crank, 84mm Bore- 10.1 comp JE piston, 4340 eagle rods H-beam)

I'm have this set up put on my B18B block thats also being Sleeved by R&S Machinse . (OPEN DECK)....

well my question is here, since I already bought a Vortech KIT for my car way back...I was planning to Install it on my ride.

My head that i hvae now on my car is a GSR head thats been P&P by JG and i also have Skunk2 springs/retainers/sprockets and civic type R camshafts.......

could i safely run this set up (?) as for my FMU im going to be using A HONDA DATA system tuned and all......also remeber that im going to be using fuel of from the pump of the gas 91octane....
and maybe a little bit of NOS to get up there in the begging

Old 04-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bosting a 95mm crank (reynosop)

I'd say stroker + lsvtec + 10:1 comp + turbo on a stick + 91 octane = kaboom. Nitrous will make it grenade even quicker. just my $.02
Old 04-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: bosting a 95mm crank (Noob4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noob4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd say stroker + lsvtec + 10:1 comp + turbo on a stick + 91 octane = kaboom. Nitrous will make it grenade even quicker. just my $.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

You turn it right with a good fuel system - it will make awesome power. Its all in the tuning. With a good turbo setup it will easily make 350-400whp on pump gas.

Its all in the tuning.

liam
Old 04-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bosting a 95mm crank (liam821)

Granted, the tuning is one of the most critical aspects of any build, and I did consider this before making my comment. But my point still stands, regardless of however much tuning you do. You WILL get detonation. I've always wondered why people don't run slightly higher comps with their boosted motors. I figured "With proper tuning, 10:1 should be feasible with pump (93) gas." Is it? Probably. But throw a stroker kit, a frankenstein motor and nitrous into the mix and you're asking WAAAAY too much of a tuner/EMS.
edit: Keep the thumbsdown for yourself in the future.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noob4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Granted, the tuning is one of the most critical aspects of any build, and I did consider this before making my comment. But my point still stands, regardless of however much tuning you do. You WILL get detonation. I've always wondered why people don't run slightly higher comps with their boosted motors. I figured "With proper tuning, 10:1 should be feasible with pump (93) gas." Is it? Probably. But throw a stroker kit, a frankenstein motor and nitrous into the mix and you're asking WAAAAY too much of a tuner/EMS.
edit: Keep the thumbsdown for yourself in the future.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is plenty of hondas making 350+whp on pump gas with over 10:1 compression on this board. Remember all the b-series dohc/vtec motors have a higher compression then 10:1 to begin with. And with proper tuning you wont have detination.

And the thumbs down is because like i said..there is plenty of examples of high compression turbo hondas.

liam
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats good to know.
I'll say it again since you seemed to have missed it the first 3 times:
stroker kit, lsvtec, and nitrous in addition to 10:1 compression and boost. Do you honestly think such a motor could last daily driven? If he sprays it'll just fail sooner.
I never doubted its ability to make good power. I'm saying that it won't last very long.
edit: Reynosop, whatever you decide be very careful.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 AM

Default reply

thanks for the insight fellas
I'm not planning to boost past 15 psi, nor am I planning to shot pass a 50 shot....here fellas.... the nos is here just to help me past the hump of getting the supercharge to spool a little faster.. thats all
....I my actually not need it...cosider that i have a stroker kit in it
Old 04-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noob4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats good to know.
I'll say it again since you seemed to have missed it the first 3 times:
stroker kit, lsvtec, and nitrous in addition to 10:1 compression and boost. Do you honestly think such a motor could last daily driven? If he sprays it'll just fail sooner.
I never doubted its ability to make good power. I'm saying that it won't last very long. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why wouldnt it last? I have friends making 680whp on b-series daily driven. A 50 shot is only ~12hp per cyl - thats nothing to a built block.

ZexMan runs a 250shot and 24-26psi of boost on a sohc block. He runs it all season without problems.

And its not like your gonna be running the motor at the edge of life around on the street - you would kill yourself before the motor breaks. Run 8-12psi on pump gas, and put in race gas and turn the boost to 20-26psi on the weekend and have fun.

liam
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 AM

what would you recomend?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bosting a 95mm crank (reynosop)

A block girdle, for starters. Obviously all this talk about having a "built block" assumes that your bored out cylinders are sleeved, because b20 bottom ends seem to not take very well to boring out or boost.
IF what Liam says holds true even for a frankenstein motor w/ stroker kit, then you're good to go. But what I'm thinking is, if you have a b20 with a 1.54 r/s ratio, and you lengthen the stroke with a stroker kit, then your r/s ratio gets even worse. How much worse, I don't know because I'm too lazy to calculate it. But that could only lead to a much more unbalanced bottom end. Add boost to that engine, and it can only lead to trouble. So something else you might consider doing is getting the rotating assembly balanced.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noob4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A block girdle, for starters. Obviously all this talk about having a "built block" assumes that your bored out cylinders are sleeved, because b20 bottom ends seem to not take very well to boring out or boost.
IF what Liam says holds true even for a frankenstein motor w/ stroker kit, then you're good to go. But what I'm thinking is, if you have a b20 with a 1.54 r/s ratio, and you lengthen the stroke with a stroker kit, then your r/s ratio gets even worse. How much worse, I don't know because I'm too lazy to calculate it. But that could only lead to a much more unbalanced bottom end. Add boost to that engine, and it can only lead to trouble. So something else you might consider doing is getting the rotating assembly balanced. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You right. Make sure the block us uber balanced - and dont rev it to the moon. Keep it under 9000rpms is going to increase the life greatly.

liam
Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 AM

R/S took care of the block girdle for me. I know my 1.8L b18b is no more...It now stands at a 2.1L ......usually the block girdles are week on b20b.

My block is sleeved (open deck) and bored to 84mm http://www.rsmachines.com and the rotation assembly is being balanced by them as well.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:29 AM

i kinda figured that was going to be the case.
From what I hear, some people tell me when I race not to pass the 8000rpm mark. If I do, I'm JUST ASKING FOR IT.... that the only thing I hate about that... I love reving my ride to 9000rpms....I'll risk staying belowe 8000rpms.