Notices

boosting a stock b16 advice

Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosting a stock b16 advice

So ive been thinking about purchasing a Turbonetics t04e turbo kit for my stock b16a EK civic, for now im just wanting to run 7-10 psi.
I have 370cc RC injectors on the shelf will these be okay to run?
Will I need a new map sensor?
Is this a good entire level turbo kit?

Kit comes with.

Turbonetics T3/T4 T04E .63AR Turbo
Ram Horn Manifold
2.5" DownPipe
27''X7''X2.5'' Inter-cooler and Piping Kit
SQV BOV
38MM Wastegate and Dump Pipe
Oil Lines
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Boost Controller
Turbo Timer
Boost, A/F, Oil Pressure and RPM guages
Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: boosting a stock b16 advice

Originally Posted by E-mac
So ive been thinking about purchasing a Turbonetics t04e turbo kit for my stock b16a EK civic, for now im just wanting to run 7-10 psi.
I have 370cc RC injectors on the shelf will these be okay to run?
Will I need a new map sensor?
Is this a good entire level turbo kit?
You need to go by a HP goal and not a psi of boost pressure. There are a series of turbos that all can fit the bill, but more than likely you'll need larger injectors. The sensor is based upon the amount of pressure used, yes, but there's more to it than just the sensor. You need for engine management to work with LARGER injectors.

Kit comes with.

Turbonetics T3/T4 T04E .63AR Turbo - that could be anything. you need to know which one you're using

Ram Horn Manifold -Completely unnecessary, but also depends upon the HP level you're looking for

2.5" DownPipe - depends upon if keeping A/C or not. There's no point in the 2.5" downpipe with a "Ramhorn manifold

27''X7''X2.5'' Inter-cooler and Piping Kit Those spearcos are good to about 400whp MAX

SQV BOV - Is this an HKS knock off? or the real thing? Do you know the difference?

38MM Wastegate and Dump Pipe -Turbonetic gate, right?

Oil Lines - Of courese

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Not for the lower hp levels. Not needed.

Boost Controller - You don't need this yet. you need to understand

Turbo Timer ok

Boost, A/F, Oil Pressure and RPM guages

No need for an RPM gauge. If the A/F is an Autometer, throw it in the garbage. Oil pressure is a good idea.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running peak boost ram horn, turbonetics 50 trim, rc440's, 3" dp into a resinator and dump, tial 38mm wastegate ru ning 8.7lbs tuned on hondata s300. Threw it back on dyno last week fkr a dyno day. Made 315whp. Stock block, head intake manifold tb, everything.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running a b16a btw
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes we need to know what model the turbo charger is... what trim the compressor wheel is
also you only need a new map sensor if you go over 11 PSI
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best advice i have is this. If your going to spend the money to boost your car. Please please take the time and money and have it tuned correctly. Take it somewhere and have it tuned. My first turbo car we street tuned it. Ran like a raped ape. Was beasty. Took it to get tuned at a shop and they got almost 50 more WHP out of it. So spend the money to get it tuned. Id runn 440cc injectors at a min.. i am running rc440s and i have yet max these out pushing 8.7psi. Made 315whp stock block head intake mani tb everything. Thats the benifet of takin it in to get tuned.
The amount of boost is determined on which turbo you running.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a real full Turbo kit with all necessary?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh im sure there is bu either way ur still going to have to get it tuned
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im wanting to get around 250 to 300 hp. Turbine Trim .63AR. T04E Compressor Trim .50AR. The bov doesnt have anyhting on it saying hks nor the wastegate, and im debating between hondata s300 or neptune.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like i said. I made 316 on a b16a completely stock motor EXCEPT headstuds which i would do if your getting upwards of 300whp. Im also tuned on s300 only pushing just shy of 9lbs boost.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Steeve_Civic
Is there a real full Turbo kit with all necessary?
Nope
Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kits usually dont include i injectors. Fuel pump. Gauges. Sensor. Ect.. it comes with the basics of the kit. Turbo manifold ic. Ic piping some with oil lines ect. You will also need to tap your oil pan. I am using a moroso which comes tapped already
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Send or post a link to where your seeing this kit. If its on ebay most likely the turbo is nkta real turbonetics turbo..
Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the list looks pretty good to me...
I would recommend S300
It would be a good idea to spend some $ on a good clutch, LSD and mounts!
Make sure you have some extra $ left over, you will always run into something else that needs attention.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why would you recomend s300, like is it easyer to use and more popular?

http://www.fastwayracer.com/Forced-I...duct_info.html
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man honestly u r better off making you own kit. That is a waste. You could boost your car for way less. That seems like just buying a ebay kit.
And yes s300 is awesome has tons of features easy to work with
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

im wanting to get around 250 to 300 hp. Turbine Trim .63AR. T04E Compressor Trim .50AR. The bov doesnt have anyhting on it saying hks nor the wastegate, and im debating between hondata s300 or neptune.
So all we know are the turbine a compressor housing sizes. Those numbers don't actually tell us what turbo is the t04e just tells us what family the compressor wheel is, we need inducer and exducer measurements of the compressor wheel to tell you what it is
Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbine Wheel 62MMm, Compressor Wheel Diameter 76.84MM. ive never boosted a car so im extremely new to this whole thing sorry if im pissing anyone off. Every website I look at when i build a kit it comes up to be around 3500 to 4000$. If you've got any sites for me to look at that would be great.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy any used turbo. Buy used stuff man. Unless your doing some ultimate build. Everything i got was used. Craigslist, in the forsale forums on here. Ebay. Just dont buy an ebay turbo. I mean i guess i shouldnt say that cause i built a turbo car off nothing but ebay and 12k miles later its stil boosting fine and pulling hard. But you can piece a used kit together fairly cheap. My local cl has tons of b series turbo parts. Then buy the hondata and get it tuned. I do t think your pissing ppl off. Im just tryingto help ya out.. you can get a decent used turbo for under $300. A dcent ram horn or log style manifold for under $275. I mean most everything you could purchase from craigslist. Not sure if tjere is any on your local postins but give it a shot
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM

Unless its all come together where there is sure certainty that all your parts fit together (If you know what should be in your "kit"), I'd never do CL or eBay. There are plenty of well-supported organizations that are a regular one stop shop for 90% of the parts you need outside of injectors, fuel pumps, clutch, and engine management. I'd avoid "scavenger hunts" for parts and get a true "kit" from a reputable spot. That way you're an informed boosted car owner..
Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So...because i bought a peak boost ram horn, a turbonetics 50trim off cl. Im not a informed boosted car owner?? That makes absolutely no sence...how is it bad buying stuff from craigs list...when you buy a enfire kit your getting ripped off. Why pay $3000 for a whole kit when you could piece thesame items together for half the price. Its all common sence. I mean to the OP. If you have 3k to **** away then by all means go for it. But its pointless.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just got out of school so im kinda on a budget. i know what a kit is made up of but im not good with the matching up parts thats why i wanted to get the kit. After awhile im wanting to put new internals in the motor as well, my goal for the car is 450hp.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by rydinsolo
So...because i bought a peak boost ram horn, a turbonetics 50trim off cl. Im not a informed boosted car owner?? That makes absolutely no sence...
That's sense, and it only makes sense if you know exactly which parts fit together with what. I doubt your CL build was your first. If one isn't experienced with all of the components and how they are fit together their first time around, it is unwise to try and think they are going to risk hunting around with parts that they aren't sure are going to go together. With a proper "kit", all of the pieces are going to fit, and you even educate yourself as to the names of the flanges, housings, and materials needed to make it work.

how is it bad buying stuff from craigs list...when you buy a enfire kit your getting ripped off. Why pay $3000 for a whole kit when you could piece thesame items together for half the price.
Because the real "kit" can actually be a benefit. When going with the proper company, it includes all of the little things that the "scavenger hunt" may not; Couplers, t-bolt clamps, gaskets, oil feed and return lines (that fit specifically for that application), as well as the proper intercooler size, and even studs/nuts for the exhaust manifold flange. When you choose the right company, all that is included without any issue. Plus, there's no guessing as to what the materials are. For the inexperienced, its a wise choice.

Its all common sence. I mean to the OP. If you have 3k to **** away then by all means go for it. But its pointless.
Again..sense (got that for ya.. no worries ).. The higher priced "kits" come with the components that you can use not only for one build, for the possibility that you want to "Grow" with the build, without the need of starting over, or re-fabricating your setup to be able to get what you eventually want out of the car (within reason of course).

On average, cost can go from the $2k-$4k depending mainly on Intercooler size and type, exhaust manifold, and turbocharger used (including where the turbocharger is made.) What makes sense is making sure that when you do this turbo setup, you know all of the components needed to make it fit and work properly; even if it isn't a full "kit", you can start off with a better exhaust manifold, downpipe, and dumptube for better than you would digging around CL all day.

Now, if you have the knowledge of the components, understand the risks of fitment have some great luck with the sellers, the CL way can be done, especially if you're savvy enough and are willing to deal with some risk. Otherwise, for a first taste of boost, it would make more sence (or sense, whichever you think makes better sense to you), a better choice would be to use a "kit", but to make sure its from a proper company that understands your application.

Go-Autowerks

Tuner kit
http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gotutusy1.html

-Best to choose the Garrett T3/T04E 50 trim .63 A/R or Turbonetics 50 trim. Try to keep it in 4 bolt turbine configuration if you can. 3" downpipe is best

It comes with everything except for injectors, pump, and management.. Hell, I think they even sell those too!

OR, if budget is a concern, start off with just the major components and go from there.

Manifold/downpipe/dumptube
http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gologma3dodu.html

That way, you can choose your turbo, intercooler, and piping separately if you wish.

Then, there's Spoolin' Performance
but they use the "starter" series like Go-Autowerks.

http://www.spoolinperformance.com/sp...c9d6b016e43ae1

That way you can choose the other components to fit your needs...

These two companies are best to use for a first-timer... seriously
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To start. Your telling the guy to go spend his money vs helping him LEARN. If he does not know the size flanges, then lets teach him vs sending him out with his wallet to buy a overpriced kit. The cl build was not my first. Actually i pieced together a kit off of friend left overs that i bought. I did how ever purchase the manifold on my first build from cl. Regardless of whT i did. Lets try and teach the op if he doesnt knkw. Piecing together a kit is very easy actually and way cheaper. Figure out on which turbo you would lime to run. Search around buy one used off cl or new totally up to you. That will determine on whi h flanged manifold your going to need. Im usingebay ic piping and a cheap emusa front mount on my current turbo car, which is holding fine at 8 lbs making 315!. I would start with at least 440 injectors or dsm 450s. Get a pump. You can make your own oil feed and return line for cheap. Tomarrow i will go on my computer and post links to most everywhere you can buy items to piece together a kit. Like i stated to the OP. Seeing as though your on a budget as mkost are on your first kit, i would suggest not buying new as if you were to break something. That would have sucked to **** awY say $3000 on a kit as some are trying to tell you do to. Not sure why ppl would say go buy a kit on a forum that is here to help some learn. Beyond me!! Anyways tomarrow i will post links. My keyboard os severly screwed up on my pho e if you cant already tell by my misspelling!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a complete kit for sale if you are interested with an sc34.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: boosting a stock b16 advice