Notices

Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor???

Like the post says, I just bought a turbo manifold from a buddy of mine...its a nice stainless steel, equal length manifold, but as I was looking at it..realized I can not keep my A/C. Now I'm in a dilema..I dont know whether it is worth to just sell the manifold and get one that lets me keep the A/C like the Spoolin Performance manifold, or if I should just delete my A/C...A few of my buddies say that I should just delete the A/C because it will stress out the motor even more as its tryin to spool the turbo..I basically want to keep it because on a hot summer day it can be a bitch to be in a hot-*** car....

Does having turbo and A/C really cause damage to the engine? Should I just sell the manifold and get something else, or delete the A/C?

Keep in mind that it is a daily driver...Car is a 97 Integra GSR....

Please let me know ur input.

I will try to get pics of the manifold up so people can see what I'm talking about. Also, if you have pics of engine bays belonging to turbo DC2's, please post them up..I would like to see how most people set their cars up.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor??? (Mugen-DC2)

i had ac and a drag kit for 3 years untill the dump finally burned a hole in my low side line. it was coming out anyway for the f-r kit.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Trial User

so its not worth keepin the A/C? Did you ever use the A/C after u went boost?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Mugen-DC2)

i did once and it ran warm it was on a hot day. and i am not sure if it was the block guard i used to have or not.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

I had full AC on my old setup, and it was nice for daily driving. It never really caused any issues at all.

It did put the normal strain on the motor when using it. So when it was time to play, I would just shut it off, problem solved

Unless you drive around in boost all day , it's really nice to have.

I mounted a 10in slim fan on the front of the condensor and wired it to the stock controler to keep the air ice cold
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Trial User

so, if i wanna keep it, i might as well sell the manifold and get another one..i was lookin at the Spoolin Performance manifold..it's a log style manifold but all I hear is great reviews about it here so I might get that one instead...probabbly get a FAL slim fan to put on it to so I'll have more room to play with....we'll see... I hate to get rid of this manifold cuz it looks like it would perform well and it looks good, but I dont think I wanna drive around in a hot-*** car on hot muggy summer days..if u know wat i mean.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (Mugen-DC2)

Absolutely DO NOT get rid of the air conditioning if this is a daily driver.

I removed mine and didnt realize the value behind it and how hard it is to find everything you need again to replace a/c for an integra. I tried online, i went to junkyards but all i found was civic a/c and a few parts here and there for an integra.

To make a long story short, I ended up spending 1800 Dollars to get all new OEM parts installed again and still be turboed. As far as boosting and a/c go, well i have hondata s200 and when it senses that you are at full throttle it disables a/c. Thats a really cool feature. Good luck
Old 01-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T3T495GSR)

I run a/c, just program ur standalone to shut it down at certain rpms, pressure, or just turn if off when your boosting, very simple. Its not like your racing around town all day, if it gets hot boy is it good.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 AM

i took my a/c out a few weeks ago.. and I don't plan on putting it back in. But I live in Canada.. our summers aren't as brutal as some of the guys down south
Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what you want, I know people who live by there A/c. Me on the other hand never had it on, I did even notice it was gone after I took it out. LOL
Old 01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when your living in S. FL you need it. I would sell it and get an a/c compatable manifold.

a/c doesnt really put a strain on the motor... turbo does. if its not stock then it puts a strain on the motor.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Trial User

Summers up here are muggy as hell and without that A/C, it becomes hell....dats y i dont want to get rid of it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor??? (Mugen-DC2)

Here is my setup with AC. It puts out 338whp. I drive every single day (rain or shine). The only down side is that it gets very hot inside the engine bay when AC is on. Just make sure you a good radiator fan.

Modified by porsche997dc2 at 10:11 PM 1/28/2006
Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor??? (porsche997dc

IT all depends on your area where you live. it doesn't put anymore strain on it than a N/A car would. I would never get rid of A/C It's winter in and I have turned it on several times during the winter so that lets you know my summers. it's like hell with the burners turned on low. (which I wont be visiting)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor??? (porsche997dc

Texas is pretty hot in the summers, but i have gone 7 straight summers w/ out a/c in a turbo car.it works wonders for my tan.the only car i use a/c in is the wife's daily driver and that **** isn't turbo.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:16 PM

what kind of radiator fan do you have?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by espanol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Texas is pretty hot in the summers, but i have gone 7 straight summers w/ out a/c in a turbo car.it works wonders for my tan.the only car i use a/c in is the wife's daily driver and that **** isn't turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, on the new build/motor I ditched the AC this time and took the more expensive route...........bought a new truck to get my *** to work and around town, and that **** is staying stock
Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of radiator fan do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to run Proform fan. Now I switch to Mr. Gasket fan. Mr Gasket fan is way better. As you can see, I'm running one fan with AC and turbo
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ac + turbo is the only way to go down south.

tint helps too
Old 01-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone redone there A/C Lines to clear there mani and everything better than just leaving the OEM stuff in place? I'm not sure how e-z or hard it would be but I am also in a dilemma of wanting to keep my A/C but I find the lines and everything clutter up the engine bay and dont allow for alot of clearance between the engine and the condenser.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Trial User

yea, i've decided to sell it or if someone wants to trade me for a Spoolin Performance manifold, thats gonna be my route..cant get rid of A/C...love it on a hot day.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
gsrboy171

fullracemotorsports.com and check out there AC turbo kits
Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (gsrboy171)

yeh i just got a full race ac kit b/c i live in south alabama and ac is a must..anybody got pics of a full race ac setup with step by step how to and what needs to be modified
Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scarlemthug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scarlemthug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone redone there A/C Lines to clear there mani and everything better than just leaving the OEM stuff in place? I'm not sure how e-z or hard it would be but I am also in a dilemma of wanting to keep my A/C but I find the lines and everything clutter up the engine bay and dont allow for alot of clearance between the engine and the condenser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sure with the right fittings and the right tools you could use copper lines to reroute the AC. The stock positions of the lines are definitely not turbo-friendly but if you know how to properly bend copper tubing im sure you could use that to replace the oem lines.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (scarlemthug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scarlemthug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone redone there A/C Lines to clear there mani and everything better than just leaving the OEM stuff in place? I'm not sure how e-z or hard it would be but I am also in a dilemma of wanting to keep my A/C but I find the lines and everything clutter up the engine bay and dont allow for alot of clearance between the engine and the condenser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Muckman has. He was going to sell kits for the Civic and Integra but I don't know if he ever got any made. He had a real nice setup. I'm boosted and kept the A/C and I boost with the A/C on all the time just like I did when I was NA. It definitely doesn't hurt the motor. Here is my setup:

Quick Reply: Boosting and keeping A/C...how much of a strain does it really put on the motor???