Boosting D16a?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting D16a?

EDIT: D16a6 sorry

anyone ever done it? i already have one in my EF sedan and i want to boost. but not sure what i'de need to upgrade in order to do so. anyone have tips or suggestions?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Boosting D16a?

How much power to the wheels are you looking for?

It's not unreasonable to put down a reliable daily-driver 180whp on a stock block that is in good condition.

The only physical parts attached to the engine that you would need to upgrade are colder spark plugs and fuel injectors. Outside the engine, a fuel pump upgrace is recommended.

Are you planning to buy a kit or build a system yourself?
Chipping ECU or going with some type of aftermarket solution?

the FI forum on H-T can get you some more detail
homemadeturbo is a good site to look into if you are planning to build your own
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one search LOTS of results.

https://honda-tech.com/search.php?do=process
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Banned

oh i searched like a ****...found a grip of stuff including turbod16.com which is the ****.

im only looking for 200hp...give or take 20hp. my d16a6 is in GREAT shape. under 50k on the motor. **** my 90 ef only has 180k miles on the frame which is pretty good.

it runs strong, no leaks what so ever, doesnt burn oil, i commute about 45 miles ONE way to and from work 5 days a week on basically a straight highway and im always messin around with other little ef's and da's on the road revving about 5000-6000 in 4th with no problem at all.

i havent had one slip in performance since i've had the car and no mechanical problems yet. bottom line is that im looking for 180-220hp, i will piece together my own kit mixed used and new.

ill pick up a walbro pump, some bigger injectors, ngk wires/plugs...PROBABLY go for forged pistons and rods. ARP studs all that jazz.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your planning to swap out internals, your better off with boosting a stock ls. unless you want to stay the the Dmode then by all mean go for it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

yea NO DOHC, im very familiar with D's and ef's in particular. had a crv-tec, ls/vtec, and a DA GS with a stock b18a.

right now my dc2 that has the ls/vtec broke down(warped head, lack of oil), long story, anyways i picked up another b18c head so i'll be slapping that on the dc2 and thats about my extent of work with B series, not enough to really be familiar with know how they run and react under different conditions.

D series FTW!! at least until i get familiar with B series haha
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Keyboard Humorist

I would boost that A6 as-is in stock form - just stick to 180~200 because the rods don't hold up much more after that.
A simple Greddy kit should get you there. If you piece it together you can do it for less than $1,000 easy.

Pick up another block and do all the internal work if you are serious about forged pistons and stuff. No sense in sticking with 200hp at that point.
With internals it's time to turn up the boooost another 100~200hp or so!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^good stuff boost the d
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

yea im tired of dc2's pullin up to me on the freeway thinkin they are are the **** haha. there are sooooo many honda/acuras that want to race me on the 210 going east coming out of pasadena. i dont know what it is about my ef but i attract a lot of ******** wanting to race.

im excited to dump on a dumbass dc2 haha
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xenocron.com for your tuning needs
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

wow great site....question, since im going to be piecing my kit together, which parts should i get NEW? i know in a perfect world every honda enthusiast will have a limitless cash flow and get all new parts but you know what, thats not the case...

the turbo itself looks to be the most expensive brand new.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Keyboard Humorist

I think it depends on your long term goals. If you just want boost now and don't intend to build any further OR if you want to play with boost now with every intention of building a monster later. If you are going to keep your setup a long time, then get quality stuff. You can cut corners if you plan to replace it later.

You can get away with a cheap eBay intercooler and BOV to keep costs down on a budget setup.
eBay manifolds are hit-or-miss... usually have more cons than pros and not worth trying. I picked up a used cast Greddy 'mini-ram' style manifold with no regrets. However, you can go cheaper and pick up some log style manifold.
Since you are shooting for 200hp then an internal wastegate snail should do fine. It should save you on piping as well since you won't need to have buy or have the wastegate tubing made. If you decide to go external WG, buy a new one and buy a brand name - overboosting is totally not worth cheaping out $100.
Turbos can be bought used as well, but I wouldn't go off ebay for one. The new 'made-in-china' turbos are sketchy so I suggest trying to the one you need off a reputable person here on HT or something like that.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id junkyard turbo it, thats what im gonna do to my mini me cuz cash is low lol. if u take ur time and a lil luck u can find a perfactly good turbo in the junkyard for cheap
Old 02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

i just want to stay at the 200hp range, i dont need anymore cuz i dont plan on tracking the car or anything like that. just have some fun every now and then ya know? it will still be my DD.

i want to get a nice sounding BOV and a good manifold that wont crack or just be a major POS.

when you say internal wastegate compared to external, and you mentioned the piping for it, where is that piping? isnt the waste gate supposed to be pointing toward the ground?

the "piping" im aware of is the intercooler going to the IM and the other side going to the turbo. Then the oil feed lines.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Look up 'wastegate dump tube'.
You can run it open to atmosphere or merge it back into your exhaust.
Open dump tubes sound like *** and tend to make it hard to hear detonation especially on high psi turbos.

Internal WG turbos look like this -

They have the vacuum diaphram that connects to that metal rod. That rod opens and closes the internal WG.

External WG requires a manifold with a WG flange on it. The benefit being with the external's ability to pass more exhaust than an internal. This reduces boost surge and boost creep. BUT this mainly applies to high boost levels. The Greddy turbo kit uses an internal WG and has no problems giving the hp numbers you are looking for. You should be fine with an internal.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

yea that makes since, external wg's look costly as well. i was looking at homemadeturbo.com and holy **** there are ghetto people out there haha. but they had good info about junkyard parts.

i keep hearing about DSM's, wtf is that? im assuming its a car but i guess they had t3's on them with a pretty decent BOV, on the "1st gen DSM". also i know i can find an STD or HF manifold. i have a couple pretty good junk yards around my area that i've gotten countless items from.

besides the t3, what would be a decent "junkyard turbo" with internal wg for the 200hp range?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Keyboard Humorist

That's the hard part.
To do it right, you can't just go get any T3 or whatever turbo.
You need to match the turbo to your application so that it's efficiency is suitable for your engine.
If you go junkyard hunting then you need to know just what you are looking for.
Posting or searching the FI forum here or on HMT should give you a good idea what to look for.

BTW - DSM is diamond star motors. It's a joint effort between Mitsubishi and Chrysler that produced old Talons, Eclipses, and other craptastic monstrosities.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was running a 12:1 FMU with an e2000 (Autozone) fuel pump in line before the fuel rail. Cheap intercooler and piping (ebay) is the way to go. I also was running a knock off HKS BOV. Log style exhaust mani (ebay), oh yea, if you are doing it cheap and you are going to keep it that way for a while the cheap stage 3 clutch on ebay will work at 13psi. If you go to much higher it slips bad. I really like ebay. I am spending money on brand name parts now, but for 4 years I proved so many people wrong with the cheap stuff.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

send me a pm we can talk
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

thinking of a t-25 turbo.... going to hit up the junkyard this weekend and pick up maybe one or two pieces. i'll probably have the best luck finding a STD manifold and HOPEFULLY an old eclipse for the turbo.

but im kind of confused...

4dref.....you said that i CANT just go grabbing any turbo, well why not? as long as the turbo fits the mani and the mani fits the motor, whats the problem? i can always fab piping to the intercooler.

what i THINK your talking about is making sure it will meet the power i want?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the problem would be the sizing of the turbo A/R's, too big would be rather laggy, too small creates a lot of back pressure between the head and the turbo, bad on your motor, harder working stock internals fail quickly
Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

so long story short, what would be ideal for what im going for?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Keyboard Humorist

There are probably quite a few to choose from, but the only one I'm remotely familiar with comes from a 90-94 5-spd Eclipse/Talon/Laser.
They came with a TD05H-14B.
Those do well on D-motors, are common, and should be good for about 250hp.
(You would want to change out your rods at the least to see that 250 - can be done on the cheap with LS teg rods.)
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what the power output is rated at. I ran the t3 .42-.48 turbo for a year at 4psi and it dyno'd 149.7hp 142.9tq on stock internals. All cheap ebay stuff. None of it being name brand. I know it is an externally gated turbo, but it is not that hard to get it piped.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

hmm only 149hp? external wastegates are kind of pricey i thought.

Quick Reply: Boosting D16a?