Notices

Boosted LS Reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted LS Reliability.

Hey guys I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 Acura Integra LS for a daily driver. I just sold my Srt-4 and I'm wanting to get back into an Integra. The car I'm looking at now has a .50 trim Turbonetics turbo tuned on 5 lbs of boost. I love the car and how clean it is and so many people I've talked to have vouched for it and I've talked to previous owners who say it was a very good car and done right. I'm just a little gun shy about buying a boosted Honda for a daily driver just because I don't know how reliable they are and because when I say daily drive I mean daily drive 7 days a week rain or shine. The car made 220whp when tuned by Jmills. I was most worried about not being able to get the car inspected (pass emissions) because a few people had told me it wouldn't pass but it has a OBD2 ecu, cat and both 02 sensors with no check engine light so I don't see why it wouldn't. Below is a link to the ad for the Integra. Let me know what you guys think, thanks for the help!

http://www.carolinahondas.com/honda-...a-boosted.html
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boosted LS Reliability.

Full sized radiator, cast turbo manifold, name brand turbo, good tune etc... should be plenty reliable.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Full sized radiator, cast turbo manifold, name brand turbo, good tune etc... should be plenty reliable.
Definitely agreed. The tune is good and the equipment is good. No reason it shouldn't last. Plus it's not pushing the limits of the motor.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

how was it tuned on an OBD2 Ecu? that is physically impossible
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
Its just an OBD1 ECU with an internal ob2 jumper harness so that its plug and play without having to use a jumper harness.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about that. I'm very new to boosted Honda's/Acura's. It makes me feel pretty good that every one is saying it will be reliable. He said that it has a small, barely noticeable exhaust leak. I'm guessing he means where the manifold bolts to the block. Where would one go about finding a new gasket for the manifold? I'm assuming it's not something that can just be picked up at a parts store?!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drive a crx with a b20 turbo setup on 10psi with a 57 trim turbo. B20's are quite smiliar to an ls engine, probably a little bit more "sensitive" than an ls too. But mine has been going strong for years now. As long as the tune is good, and you keep up on matinence, it should last a good while. You might want to do a good visual inspection of your engine bay every once in a while. Just treat it with respect and make sure you give the turbo enough idle time to cool down after a spirited drive.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigFudge
Sorry about that. I'm very new to boosted Honda's/Acura's. It makes me feel pretty good that every one is saying it will be reliable. He said that it has a small, barely noticeable exhaust leak. I'm guessing he means where the manifold bolts to the block. Where would one go about finding a new gasket for the manifold? I'm assuming it's not something that can just be picked up at a parts store?!
You will be able to find them online. Maybe go-autoworks.com < they sell good quality stuff. Or just try a local parts store. All B series share the same exhaust manifold gasket I believe. One word of advice from one of my previous mistakes, be careful when tightening exhaust manifold nuts, I find it pretty easy to strip the threads in the head. But it's probably just me..
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

most parts stores should have them, make sure it's an OEM style 3 layer steel gasket and not a **** paper one

another good option are the Mr.Gasket copper gaskets, they are like 25 bucks but are infinitely reusable and never fail or leak and they hold up to heat very well, I use them on all of the Sr20s I build for street use all the way to competition drift cars and have never had an issue
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure there isn't a stripped bolt in the exhaust manifold! I've seen that cause a leak before.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To pass emissions ur gonna have to plug in the stock Ecu and get the monitors ready.. It is simple to do just don't go ham on it while on the stock Ecu and just plug in the obd1 setup wen u pass
Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be very tough to pass emissions if the injectors have been changed...
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an ls/turbo tuned properly should last a while and be fun as long as the engine hadnt been horribly neglected or abused..
Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flr Power
It might be very tough to pass emissions if the injectors have been changed...
. Very tru
Old 02-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

it's not that hard...

put in the stock ecu, injectors, and map sensor. remove the spring out of the wastegate or unhook a charge pipe, drive like usual to pull readiness checks

pass emissions

put tuned **** back in
profit
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's not that hard...

put in the stock ecu, injectors, and map sensor. remove the spring out of the wastegate or unhook a charge pipe, drive like usual to pull readiness checks

pass emissions

put tuned **** back in
profit
I just talked to the previous owner of the car who had it before this guy and he said that the car passed emissions with flying colors the way it sits because he is the one who did all the work to it and sold it to the guy who owns it now as is. He sent me a picture of the inspection sheet when it was done on 7/6/2013 and nothing has been changed since. Are y'all saying that it would be impossible for the car to pass the way that it is?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BigFudge
I just talked to the previous owner of the car who had it before this guy and he said that the car passed emissions with flying colors the way it sits because he is the one who did all the work to it and sold it to the guy who owns it now as is. He sent me a picture of the inspection sheet when it was done on 7/6/2013 and nothing has been changed since. Are y'all saying that it would be impossible for the car to pass the way that it is?
We're saying WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LAWS ARE IN YOUR STATE TO PASS.

If it passed before, and you didn't change anything, logic suggests it will do it again. So check your local laws. we can't do that for you.