Notices

Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction

I searched but didn't find an answer on this. I'm currently researching my turbo osetup to boost my 95 Integra GSR.

What I'd like to know is what will traction be like throughout my rev range with a GT28RS (Full Race Stage 1GT AC)? I'm only aiming for 250-280hp at the wheels, in a steady linear (similar to stock) power band.

I'm just wearing of being front wheel drive, and the traction issue I'll face. My goal is for a streetable but fast turbo GSR. I'd be happy with low 13's but I'm more interested in keeping a decent and fun handlign car, which goes faster and gives other v8's/wrx's a run for there money.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (Bangers)

I'm sure that snail will have a bit earlier response than my thrust bearing TO4E, but I'm at about 250whp and 180wtq at 11psi. First gear is useless. Second is fine on a smooth street, but throw a bump or slight turn in there and you'll have traction issues. In the wet I spin through third. Drivability is great though. It's easy to stay out of boost and on partial throttle, spooling a few psi feels very smooth, and would be even better on a ball bearing snail. If you're worried about traction, get some nice tires, like the Azenis 615's, and a limited slip dif.

p.s. my ride is a 94 turbo gsr with an open dif
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good tires and if you want, a traction bar.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM

My question is,whats the perfect balance between tyre size/grip, power, turbo lag and traction?

For example, obviously a GSR with 400fwkw with 11k redline on 6k spool would be too much for anything beyond the drag strip or specific track car.

I just want a decent street car.

Is 205/50/R16 on high performance tyres, with GT28RS (I'm guessing roughly 2500-3000rpm spool?) putting out 180-200fwkw on stock internals be reliable and give me what I want?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM

idk what fwkw means, but based on your 250-280hp you mentioned up top, those are excellent street numbers.

have you driven a boosted car before? streetability is fine, especially in a high response ball bearing setup. when street driving, which consists of almost all partial throttle, you'll probably only spool a few psi outta that turbo in normal acceleration, whether you're at 3k rpm or 7k rpm. the only time you'll really feel lag is giving it more throttle than usual when starting from an rpm that’s too low to spool the turbo and over the period of a second or so the turbo will spool up and you’ll feel the extra power (above what the engine would produce on its own). It’s easy to stay outta boost or regulate how much boost the turbo is spooling in normal street driving.

The best way to get traction for a street car are extra sticky tires (highly suggest the Azenis 615’s) and a limited slip dif that puts power down to both wheels instead of just one. You’ll have traction issues in first and probably second, regardless of where the turbo spools and what tires and traction aids you have. I have 205 tires on my car right now and will get 215's for that extra rubber next time I buy a set

Not really sure if I answered your question.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostednlinefor)

333hp @12 psi t3t04e

No problem driving on the street just use your head if you are not building boost you have tractions.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in the process of a gsr build but for a lil more power, im shooting for 300-350 with the full race stg1.......

so far ive got a jdm itr trans (lsd) and a fullrace traction bar....... all i need is a decent set of tires......

i definitely recommend an lsd of somekind or a traction bar......
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (Bangers)

Check out my sig for power. I only spin in 1st and the beginning of 2nd with street tires (and lsd). I recently ran a 13.2 @ 108 weighing in at 2654lbs (spare, tools me gas etc). Car is great on the street, it is my daily driver. I get ~30mpg's on the highway and only fill up once a week.

A turbo gsr is a great daily/race car to have. Just build it the right way the first time so you don't have mechanical issues and get and lsd to put the power to the ground. good luck!!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (GS-R Civic)

GS-R Civic set up sounds like what he is looking for...maybe you should check out his set up for some ideas...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (infulleffect)

LSD is not really necessary, you definitely need a traction bar and a set of bfg drag radial on the front then your problem with traction will only be in first, 2nd maybe a little wheel spin and third is solid
Old 05-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm, why isnt lsd necessary?? enlighten me please cuz i must be missing something.......

not necessary because of his power level u mean??
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slooogsr)

an lsd is always needed, in my opinion, with front wheel drive turbo cars.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (StolenTeg)

My buddy has a 94 civic coupe with a gsr at 10psi, same size turbo and no lsd. All he does is waste tires, he cant put any of the power down, hell spin into 4th. Ill let you know what happens if we get a run in.

Power is nothing unless it can be used effectivly.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
95GSRTT

the reason it isnt NECESSARY is because many people have been able to run fast times without one. They work great and will help, but that doesnt mean they are necessary. Then again neither is going turbo.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slooogsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ummm, why isnt lsd necessary?? enlighten me please cuz i must be missing something.......

not necessary because of his power level u mean??</TD></TR></TABLE>

LSD would help but if your not into circuit racing or auto-xing or those kind of stuff, in my book it not worth it, LSD help mostly in corner not straight line
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StolenTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LSD is not really necessary, you definitely need a traction bar and a set of bfg drag radial on the front then your problem with traction will only be in first, 2nd maybe a little wheel spin and third is solid</TD></TR></TABLE>

lsd not necessary but traction bars and cheater slicks are? he's talking about a street car driven on public roads that also includes turning left and right.

a limited slip dif with good street tires and you'll be golden for whatever your daily driver could throw at ya.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (boostednlinefor)

imho a lsd is even more important for a street car because the roads are alot worse than a flat paved track and any little dip or bump will cause one tire to unload or spin compared to the track were you have your slicks bolted on
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (R@mon)

You can have an LSD, good suspension, drag radials, traction bars, etc... and you still won't have traction on the street in 1st or 2nd gear with 250+whp. You will need a staged boost controller so you can run less boost in 1st and 2nd gear, then up the boost for 3rd gear and up. Practice your driving/launching as well.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (R@mon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R@mon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imho a lsd is even more important for a street car because the roads are alot worse than a flat paved track and any little dip or bump will cause one tire to unload or spin compared to the track were you have your slicks bolted on</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you go WOT into every corner? while daily driving, i wouldnt spend 1 grand for a lsd if im not going to fully put it to used (Circuit racing, auto cross, etc)
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Dude I'm as cheap as they come and I forked over the cash for a Quaife. My LSD is one reason my car is so quick, it defintely makes a difference. I run faster times than some guys that are making 300+whp. Traction is more important than horsepower in my opinion. 350whp does yuo no good if you can't put it to the ground.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (beerbongskickass)

when I was making 270+ whp and 230 lb/tq I never had traction issues. Then again I was running 17s and had an LS tranny. I never lost traction
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when I was making 270+ whp and 230 lb/tq I never had traction issues. Then again I was running 17s and had an LS tranny. I never lost traction </TD></TR></TABLE>

If people stop runnign all season tire, then they wont complain
Old 05-10-2006, 04:35 PM
95GSRTT

but doesnt all season also mean race season.......?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 PM

LSD is a necessity...true u might not have traction issues without one, A LSD in a situation like this one would let u launch ur car even harder and at higher rpm therefore lowering quarter mile times.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (B_radGSR)

im running and ls trans no lsd on 260whp and i spin first, and just chirp into 2nd then im fine on normal roads. how you drive it has a lot to do with it.

beerbongs makes a valid point in that a dual stage almost a necessity. that would help me a lot, especially for those people who can run high boost/ hp levels due to stronger motors

Quick Reply: Boosted GSR and Drivability/Traction