Notices

BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 02:32 PM
xrtdac

Default BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run.

Only making 5-6lbs of boost no matter what.
Heres what's been tried to solve this problem.

1Rebuild turbo....no fix
2changed fuel pump to MSD and changed FMU.....no fix
3Tial wastegate with 15lb spring, to eliminate boost controller......no fix
4another wastegate with boost controller....no fix
5re-plained wastegate mount + manifold to make sure flush and no leak....no fix
6checked compression.....no fix
7fixed crack in downpipe......no fix
8checked for holes in system, none found obvious....no fix

THROW ME A ******* BONE CAR GODS.
I used to run 12's. now a shitty as 15.1 cause it takes a year to get 5PSI.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (xrtdac)

you know, your check valves may have gone bad or your missing link has, whichever you are running try replacing them. also, what do you have your plug gap set at?
Old 08-31-2002, 02:38 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (GudeH23a)

I am runing the missing link and I have no idea my plug gap. It is the same gap that it was at when it was running 10PSI. The same plugs are in there so I am guessing it is not that. I am gonna replace those though to make sure. Thanks for one idea.

Im going to check:

1 missing link
2timing belt..maybe jumped a tooth.
3try another boost controller
Old 08-31-2002, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (xrtdac)

you need to check your plug gap, if they arent set correctly youll misfire under boost and wont be be able to boost above X psi. they should be .030 or .032.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all your vaccum lines, like the ones going to the wastegate and stuff..
Old 08-31-2002, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds just like a boost leak to me. how well have you checked your piping?
Old 08-31-2002, 04:59 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (Jared)

New check list:

1 checked Mising Link and cleaned out and changed o rings on it....no fix
2 already checked piping and couldn't find any leaks or dents in pipe....no fix
3 checked intercooler, from what can see and test, no leaks... no fix
4 wastegate vac line been changed and taken off as well with change of gates and boost controllers....no fix

I am still going to change the boost controller to a single stage rather than the dual stageor dual control for that matter to see if that does it. If not, I'm gonna pull all the vac lines and t's and replace them all to see what the funk it is.
I'll check the plug gap as well and probably just replace them while I'm at it.

Keep throwin me some ideas, I appreciate the help.

[Modified by xrtdac, 6:00 PM 8/31/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey wassup man i have the same exact problem as you. i tried everything. im getting a diff turbo and hopefully i can go past 5-6 psi. i even took the wastegate out to run it and still only boost 5-6 psi. hope u get it fix. kepp us updated
Old 08-31-2002, 05:19 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (turbod16y8)

I rebuilt the turbo: and oh yeah I forgot

The shop I go thourhg put a turbo on bigger than mine I think it was a 60-1 or something liek that I don't know, well it didn;t chagne the boost either. Even put anotehr wastegate on with that turbo and nothing changed.

Hope we can solve this damn problem man.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:25 PM
New User

where's your timing at? air fuel? EGT's? Inspect your manifold for cracks, as well as warping of any flanges on the exhaust side.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:49 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (VaporTrail)

Timing should not effect how much boost gets hit from what I have known, unless like I said the timing belt jumped a tooth or two, but the engine and everything is runnin smooth except for every once in awhile it kind of has a rough idle but that is rare. **** we opened it up and let the turbo free spool and it still couldn't build more than 5-6 lbs. This is a t3t4 hybrid turbo. MY EGT's from what I understand have nothing to do with what boost I'm hiting unless you are talking about the Air fuel curve. I have a dyno chart available somewhere here but it is 12.0 I think, it all has been tuned by Brent Raus mechanics. The manifold has no cracks cause like I said above we had it all replained for making sure it is not leaking from anywhere.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:17 AM
New User

Might sound stupid...but I think that vaccuum line from autozone is pretty cheap. Just buy like a few feet of it(or however much it takes) and redo all your vaccuum lines. A small split or hole in a vaccuum line will bleed it all out. And I didnt read through your "no fix" list, but check all your couplings as well, if one of those is split it will do the same. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:36 AM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (IntegD)

I checked the couplings and no find of a leak. I hooked it up so I could blow through it and nothign was leaking other than my blood rushin to my face. Hey it was the only way I could think of testing them at the time.

I do plan on replacing all the vac lines and t's and all that *****.

Plus I am gonna do a leak down test to help eliminate other potential issues.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:41 PM

i'm having this same problem too......keep me posted if you figure it out....i'm currently going over my car...i do have old *** check valves could this really be a problem???
Old 09-05-2002, 12:47 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (uneekcrx)

unsure if check valves would do that. I am gonna have a leak down test done, and we put air pressure lines to the system and heard no elaks anywhere but we will ahve to se. If anything Im gonna replace allt he lines and ts just in case one of them is plugged somehow.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:18 PM

i had the same prob at one time i forgot to tighten the worm gear clamp on my ic hose. no matter how much throttle i gave it, it would have trouble getting to 5psi. i bet you have a leak. hook a blower up to your pipes or something. also just fyi are you running a cat? and what is your gas mileage like with this problem?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:29 PM
New User

I checked the couplings and no find of a leak. I hooked it up so I could blow through it and nothign was leaking other than my blood rushin to my face. Hey it was the only way I could think of testing them at the time.
The last time I saw a problem like this, one of the IC couplers had a hole in it that took quite some time to find. Remember, yours are still holding 5psi.. You cannot possibly create that much pressure by just blowing into them (try to get a boost guage to 5 by blowing with your mouth )
Old 09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (B20C5 Turbo)

check ur charge pipes?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (B20C5 Turbo)

(try to get a boost guage to 5 by blowing with your mouth )
my friend got 8psi on my boost gauge. i was like
Old 09-06-2002, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (bretx0r)

my friend got 8psi on my boost gauge. i was like

hes hired

Rob
Old 09-06-2002, 04:04 AM
New User

Your BOV could be leaking too. Check it for leaks. Best way is to remove it and block the opening. Don't drive too long that way though.

Sure sounds like a leak.

Randy
Old 09-06-2002, 08:33 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (RGAZ)

Hooked a blower pipe to it. ran it up to 30 PSI in which then the upper intercooler pipe popped off finally. No leaks really. Replaced a bad connector in teh piping to the intercooler, then no leaks. Still only 5psi. As well, check timing, was off one tooth on belt, no change in boost. Gonna replace plugs, check gaps, and replace fuel filter as well. the fuel filter needs it anyways.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm..crazy stuff . let us know how it turns out .
Old 09-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Banned

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (jonny5)

damn man, u got some bad luck
Old 09-07-2002, 03:50 PM
xrtdac

Default Re: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run. (On Point EK!!!!!!!!)

Yeah its odd. We have put a lot of hours into finding this little funkin gremlin in the motor there.

Anyone know if bent valves could be causing this issue to be happening???

[Modified by xrtdac, 4:51 PM 9/7/2002]

Quick Reply: BOOST PROBLEM: Still the gerbel inside doesn't want to run.