Notices

Boost controller or wastegate problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controller or wastegate problem

Currently i run a Greddy kit with internal wastegate. I use an AVCR as an EBC. but my boost kept fluttering and dropping off in higher RPM levels, the gate kept opening as we found on the dyno.

so we thought maybe the spring in the actuator is weak. take it off, send it out and have it flow tested. sure enough it leaks internally.

so now buy another, put it on, same prob, but this one has no leaks, and right now i have the EBC set to 1.5 bar (21psi) but i cant get over 10psi of boost, WG keeps opening too early. then flutters and the spring seems not to hold it shut. the actuator rod is adjustable....

so do i have it adjusted too loose-- if so does it really matter, a 4 psi spring is a 4 psi spring, right?

If i cut the Rod, making it shorter will it make a difference and increase boost pressure even if the spring is only a 4psi spring?

Or is the problem potentially my boost controller? is the solenoid bad or maybe the whole unit sucks....

suty cycle is set to 90% right now just to make anything over 4psi..... and as mentioned i get spikes up to 10-13 but then as the revs climb i flutter and fall back to 7 or less by redline.....

thanks-- sorry for length i tried to give all the info

Old 11-18-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (95gsrturbo)

part of the problem could be that it is a internally wastegated turbo, and internally wastegated turbo's are know for not being able to control high boost levels very well, I.E. 21 psi
Old 11-19-2003, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (boondockgtr)

well at this point i cant even manage 12 pissing psi much less 21
any other ideas-- ive been told but cant confirm-- that a electronic boost contrller can only double the boost determined by a wastegate, because it can only hide essentially half the pressure??

true or false and any other ideas??
Old 11-19-2003, 09:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95gsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well at this point i cant even manage 12 pissing psi much less 21
any other ideas-- ive been told but cant confirm-- that a electronic boost contrller can only double the boost determined by a wastegate, because it can only hide essentially half the pressure??

true or false and any other ideas??</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are going to run 21 psi you need at least a 10lb spring to control the boost.
The problem with trying to control high boost with a weak spring like a 4lb is that the 4lb is very sensitive and it is hard to get it to stay shut. Also are you sure you have the avc/r vacumm lines routed properly I know I had to screw with those on my last car to get it correct.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (30psi Teg)

thanks for the advice on the springs-- i do agree that the spring may be the main issue here.
its so weak that as soon as it sees boost it opens the gate, and thats all she wrote.

as far as the AVCR-- i routed them jsut as instructed inthe manual... using "com" and NO
i think-- ill look again tonite.....

thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 02:34 PM

I have not been a member here very long but we had the same problem on a friend's car. He installed an avcr and every time the car went under boost it would spike and peg a 30psi guage. I would check your controller. We talked to Christian Rado when he came to town about the problem and he seemed to think that the actuator box or sensor box was not close enough to the wastegate. We moved his and it helped.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (boostedbastard)

my solenoid site about 1.5 ft from the WG, maybe a bt more-- from the turbo to the ABS system on the left (passenger side) any idea if thats too far-- i would think if it were farther as in on the firewall maybe -- but ill try moving it this weekend-- thanks...

anyone else taking a shot-- need help
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 PM

something else to keep in mind is heat. you need the actuator as close as possiable but you also need to protect it from heat. We ended up removing the boost controller and he is ordering a Total boost controller. It is the best bang for the buck. You can log data, control boost by the rpm, retard timing, turbo timer, and it comes with army grade actuators. Check it out @ world-motorsports.com
Old 11-19-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (boostedbastard)

yeah but the catch is i dont think i need al that-- so many ppl run that amount of boost on the gredy kit as it is...

i have a TT, i use hondata to data log and tune fuel and ignition.... what you aretalking abuot soundslike a full stand alone ECu something like AEM. heat will also cause probs with the motor but i dont see how with an actuator-- can you explain? there is only one place for an actuator to go. it bolts right to the turbo.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 AM

fit a tial first, then see if it still happens, internal sucks the big one
when i ahd mine it was supposedly setto 5-6, creep and spike to 7-8, cold days 8-9, someitmes 9.5..... thats how i got such a good killer deal on my stand alone....kid had everything but external and it shut and blew the block.... point being, internal is a problem waiting to happen in my eyes
Old 11-22-2003, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (evoeone)

if i were to get an external i would have to either
a) ditch my entire setup up to the cat and get a new mani, turbo, and downpipe adding an external WG--- roughly 1500 bux

B) drill a hold into either my dp or my manifold and fit the external on while pulling the turbo to weld shut the current WG off, the process of drilling a cast iron manifold isnt the best idea---- cracking....

and i dont like Ramen noodle 450 days in a row. still thanks for advice though--
i was really wondering if there was a way to fix my problem rather than revamping my setup-- alsthough i do agree a revampo will make more power.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was having the same problem. I have a drag kit and avc-r. We have the avc-r up to 1.6 bar just to get 10 psi out of the dam turbo. I am running an external deltagate wastegate. We tried a tial on the dyno and that helped a little bit but I still had the problem. I think my avc-r is messed up. I am trying to get a new one and see if this solves the problem. The avc-r acts as if as soon as it sees a boost spike it cuts the boost back. IF you look at my dyno graph it is all choppy b/c the boost goes up and down like a roller coaster. I think the avc-r may be messed up. Plus does your avc-r hold its settings? Mine doesn't.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (underpressure02)

yeah my avcr holds and memorizes all settings properly but i do not doubt that that may be an issue also -- need to find someone with a manual boost controller.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Find out anything?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Boost controller or wastegate problem (underpressure02)

i got a dual port actuator-- one for boost other for vaccuum. well see what that does.