Notices

boost controller blues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost controller blues...

I was just out a half hour ago trying to get my greddy profec b boost controller to work with no luck. Setup is as follows: Tial 35mm external wastegate w/7 psi spring. All of my intake manifold sources are coming from a vacuum manifold. Top of external to "out" on solenoid. Side of external to intake manifold. "In" on solenoid to intake manifold. Back of unit obviously to intake manifold. Things I've tried: Every possible setting on the back of the unit including the internal wastegate settings. Turned balance **** all the way sharp and mild. Even tried turning high and low boost all the way up and down. What happens? The wastegate never opens. Giving it enough throttle to open the wastegate does nothing, boost continues to climb. Disconnect the controller completely, run a vacuum line from the side of the wastegate to intake manifold, wastegate opens at correct spring pressure (7psi). Now, I'm at the point where there are a few possibilities. One thing I recently discovered tonight is this:

http://www.valley.ne.jp/~sirogane/SBC.gif

To add some confusion, this is a picture of the diagram to install a blitz ssbc. Notice the same style solenoid as the profec b, yet they have the side of the wastegate and the "in" going to a pre t-body source, whereas the profec b is supposed to work with both of those sources going to the intake manifold (after t-body). I also realize that people with the profec b have had some success with these units by tapping the "in" on the profec solenoid to a pre t-body source, per the Greddy instructions, and running the side of the wastegate to the intake manifold. However others have claimed it does not matter if this is connected before or after the throttle body. Now I'm down to three options:

1. Tap my charge pipe pre t-body like the greddy instructions say, rather than after. Continue to run the side of the wastegate to the intake manifold. If this doesn't work, assume my solenoid is toast.
2. Set the profec up shown in the above link. Run the "in" to a pre t-body source along with the side of the wastegate. Although the solenoids are similar, it is not confirmed that this will work.
3. Assume my solenoid was damaged in the engine fire I had years ago, although I've taken the unit apart and it physically looks fine. Hence purchase a new boost controller.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Modified by highmilehatch at 6:01 PM 10/20/2003