Notices

Boost 1st time Semi-Fully built Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost 1st time Semi-Fully built Need help

So..IF your gunna Flame me talk **** or be an ******* dont bother. I bought my 91 ef hatch with b16a obd0 y1 lsd trans .
Swap Fresh from Passwordjdm i have the receipts but that doesnt really matter i guess. The car is never ran cuz mpfi isses With the standard civic. So im guessing he never ran this motor.

But i pull the valve cover off and find some corrsion So I replaced all of the valve train with skunk2 pro cams titaniam ret/spings And valves. Got the head dipped and cleanout.

Then i talk to some people And they told me not to Bother boosting that bottom end With the money i want to put into the car. So i guess i should get a bigger bottom end with Bigger displacement.

As far as the trans go i know the ys1 Gears are to short for a big turbo build like a plan i heard a ls cable trans is nice for boosting. Well maybe not cable but i need cabale because the hydraulic conversion is a pain in the *** i hear. I was thinking maybe trade my lsd ys1 trans for a lsd ls trans maybe cash on there side. But thats on down the road .

I plan on ls vtec or cr-vtec Or maybe just getting type r bottom end. Will my Head bolt right up to the type r bottom end Since it is also vtec. And i wont have to do the vtec conversion i know the type r bottom end is more expensive. But i think vtec conversion would cost extra money. Wich would be the better way Buying a non-vtec motor and converting or just getting the type r bottom end and slapping my head on it. Either way after i buy the block I want ill know the stroke and bore and order the pistons and rods 9.1.1 compression with some eagle h beam rods.

I dont really wanna sleeve the block because there isnt a machine shop around here i would trust to do it and Im already putting so much money into the car already.

I plan on order skunk2 compostie fuel rail. A fuel reg and some bigger injectors and walbor fuel pump. Wat i dont know is wat size injectors or type saturated or peak and hold.

After i finish With all fuel management and drive train i want to start to build my turbo kit. My target horse power is like 300-500 hp at 7-15psi. I dont know wat the stock sleeves are capable of i know the b20 bottom end couldnt handle 15psi.
Thats a broad HP zone.

Would it be better to piece the turbo kit togther threw forums and locals or Buy a whole kit for 1000-3000 dollars. I know the pipeing and waste gate size all matters on horse power gains Im just not sure wat i need.idk wat would be to small or big.

Im just looking for advice. I may sound like a retard im 18 and ive been into honda since i was 16. First car was a b20 ek hatch. Ive did small things like change my brakes oil put motor mounts in and stuff like that never really hardcore motor work like this i do alot of reading on fourms and posting asking questions. But i figure u gotta start somewhere or never learn so i bought this car check my sig and u can see wat im talking about with the car and corrsion. I am ready for constructive criticism. If your wondering how i got the money for this my grandma died. Thanks Look at my sig for the corrsion and car and other misc stuff done to the car

Modified by thorclark at 9:58 PM 4/26/2008
Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost 1st time Semi-Fully built Need help (thorclark)

paragraphs are nice

first off slow down.

now on to your plans. if you want a different bottom end i would not bother wasting your money on a R block because the higher compression is not going to do you any good. i would source out a gsr block or something and build the way you want it with forged internals (which would cost less or as much as a R block).

i was reading your list and you didnt mention anything to tune with. the quality of your tune pretty much indicates the life / longevity of your engine so prepare to invest on a tuning software and a place to tune your car.

as far as a turbo kit goes used parts are just as good as new ones if you look in the right places. you can piece together a nice turbo kit if you browse in the HT marketplace for a deal (which IMO is a good route for a first timer, like my self)

just my .02 cents
Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost 1st time Semi-Fully built Need help (thorclark)

Originally Posted by thorclark
So..IF your gunna Flame me talk **** or be an ******* dont bother. I bought my 91 ef hatch with b16a obd0 y1 lsd trans .

Swap Fresh from Passwordjdm i have the receipts but that doesnt really matter i guess. The car is never ran cuz mpfi isses With the standard civic. So im guessing he never ran this motor.

But i pull the valve cover off and find some corrsion So I replaced all of the valve train with skunk2 pro cams titaniam ret/spings And valves. Got the head dipped and cleanout.

Then i talk to some people And they told me not to Bother boosting that bottom end With the money i want to put into the car. So i guess i should get a bigger bottom end with Bigger displacement.
Depends upon your goals. Read below

As far as the trans go i know the ys1 Gears are to short for a big turbo build like a plan i heard a ls cable trans is nice for boosting. Well maybe not cable but i need cabale because the hydraulic conversion is a pain in the *** i hear. I was thinking maybe trade my lsd ys1 trans for a lsd ls trans maybe cash on there side. But thats on down the road .
LS IMO

I plan on ls vtec or cr-vtec Or maybe just getting type r bottom end. Will my Head bolt right up to the type r bottom end Since it is also vtec. And i wont have to do the vtec conversion i know the type r bottom end is more expensive. But i think vtec conversion would cost extra money. Wich would be the better way Buying a non-vtec motor and converting or just getting the type r bottom end and slapping my head on it. Either way after i buy the block I want ill know the stroke and bore and order the pistons and rods 9.1.1 compression with some eagle h beam rods.
ls-vtec is a nice build IMO, How much you want to put into this bottom-end once again dependent upon your goals. and how much loot you wanna drop

I dont really wanna sleeve the block because there isnt a machine shop around here i would trust to do it and Im already putting so much money into the car already.
Send it to benson or some-one like that. worth it for when your Hp goals go up down the road.

I plan on order skunk2 compostie fuel rail. A fuel reg and some bigger injectors and walbor fuel pump. Wat i dont know is wat size injectors or type saturated or peak and hold.
Here is a good read on injector operation and sizing
Part1
Part2

After i finish With all fuel management and drive train i want to start to build my turbo kit. My target horse power is like 300-500 hp at 7-15psi. I dont know wat the stock sleeves are capable of i know the b20 bottom end couldnt handle 15psi.
Thats a broad HP zone. Most will agree that 7-9 psi can be safe on a stock bottom end with PROPER TUNING, do not cut costs here. I cant stress that enough, tuning WILL make or break a build

Would it be better to piece the turbo kit togther threw forums and locals or Buy a whole kit for 1000-3000 dollars. I know the pipeing and waste gate size all matters on horse power gains Im just not sure wat i need.idk wat would be to small or big.
I would peice a kit together, you get just what you want and most of the time less $$ Do some searching on this topic there are many threads about building kits and proper turbo selection

Im just looking for advice. I may sound like a retard im 18 and ive been into honda since i was 16. First car was a b20 ek hatch. Ive did small things like change my brakes oil put motor mounts in and stuff like that never really hardcore motor work like this i do alot of reading on fourms and posting asking questions. But i figure u gotta start somewhere or never learn so i bought this car check my sig and u can see wat im talking about with the car and corrsion. I am ready for constructive criticism. If your wondering how i got the money for this my grandma died. Thanks Look at my sig for the corrsion and car and other misc stuff done to the car
Hope i helped, Good Luck

BTW Try breaking up massive posts into paragraphs like this^ You will get more responses
Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost 1st time Semi-Fully built Need help (omiehomie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omiehomie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paragraphs are nice

first off slow down.

now on to your plans. if you want a different bottom end i would not bother wasting your money on a R block because the higher compression is not going to do you any good. i would source out a gsr block or something and build the way you want it with forged internals (which would cost less or as much as a R block).

i was reading your list and you didnt mention anything to tune with. the quality of your tune pretty much indicates the life / longevity of your engine so prepare to invest on a tuning software and a place to tune your car.

as far as a turbo kit goes used parts are just as good as new ones if you look in the right places. you can piece together a nice turbo kit if you browse in the HT marketplace for a deal (which IMO is a good route for a first timer, like my self)

just my .02 cents</TD></TR></TABLE>

IM not going to use the pistons and rods in the r bottom end just the block itself water pump and all that stuff im swapping the pistons rods . H-beam rods and 9.1.1 pistons. Basicaly i just want know about the block wats the better way to go ls b20 or r bottom end the r wouldnt have to be taped for vtec and would already have the water pump upgraded and wat not...and i plan on using hondata s300 and getting it tuned buy speedquest outa stokie il, and sorry for the non english grammer im not good at that **** at all u can tell i know.

Modified by thorclark at 10:07 PM 4/26/2008