Notices

Block Filler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Filler?

Has anybody here ever used any kind of a block filler. I am building a race car and I would like to see how far I can push the stock block. I am, of course trying to do this on some kind of a budget, so the idea of block filler has come up. This car WILL NOT be driven on the street at all. I was thinking about filling the coolant jackets almost all the way up and then drilling a few coolant holes. The car probly won't run any longer that 10 min. at a time at the most. So keeping it cool shouldn't be much of an issue. Anybody try this? or should I just leave the block alone and just do pistons and rods. I am shooting for the 400-500 HP range. I just want to get a 10 out of the car..it should only weigh about 1600-1800 pounds.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do 400 whp on a stock block no problem no point in filling it.

also i understand you are on a budget but than you say race car in the same line. race cars cant be budget at all. they just dont go with each other. you got to pay to play bud. well thats if you want to be truely fast .
Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Block Filler? (Zeusfire69)

Hotrex did this over at HMT, it worked for a few thousand miles and he still cracked a sleeve. I wouldn't recomend it.

If you insist though, get a bunch of Devcon aluminum-filled epoxy, fill the coolant jacket [recess] ~1/2 way with salt, pour in the devcon to ~1/8" from the top, let it harden, drill holes & wash the salt out. You might have better luck by layering the devcon, letting each layer dry enough before the next is added.

That will give quite a bit of support, but let it heat up enough w/o overheating after a 1/4 mile run.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filler? (HiProfile)

That devcon **** gave him really poor heat transfer.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filler? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hotrex did this over at HMT, it worked for a few thousand miles and he still cracked a sleeve. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I thougt he cracked all four?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filler? (Got_soy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got_soy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I thougt he cracked all four?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he did. Little spiderweb cracks all over them.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Block Filler? (Tippyman)

i dont think theres a need to fill the block, and theres no proven data that it makes them any stronger.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filler? (hybrdthry911)

OK, you're right "budget" and "race car" don't go together. Lets put it this way, I want a car that I can do a season with(4-5 monthes, every other weekend) that will run 10's. Consistantly depends on the driver, but I'd like to pull tens most of the time. I just running the ET series at Bandimere on Satudays. (ET pro class) Lots of old guys up there..I just wanna prove that Hondas have got what it takes to keep up with them people...Do you think the block will last? Or should I just sleeve it right off the bat. I DO plan on sleeving for NEXT season (2008) But this year, I just wnna get the car up there...Sounds like the block filler idea is out...any other suggestions. From what I'm looking at, it sounds like I may be better off just getting pistons and rods, and give a good hone, otherwise, just leave the block alone...
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

Beau the admin from HMT not hotrex's retarded *** who didnt even clean the block before assemley ran mid 10's with a filled b16a block making almost 500 whp forover 2 years until he dropped a valve.

Hotrex also has his cars catch on fire so he is not the one to judge vased up on this. If you want info regarding this topic look under the Hybrid section on HMT there is a fullw rite up along with plenty of people running the set up. Some have had sucess others havent.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zeusfire69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, you're right "budget" and "race car" don't go together. Lets put it this way, I want a car that I can do a season with(4-5 monthes, every other weekend) that will run 10's. Consistantly depends on the driver, but I'd like to pull tens most of the time. I just running the ET series at Bandimere on Satudays. (ET pro class) Lots of old guys up there..I just wanna prove that Hondas have got what it takes to keep up with them people...Do you think the block will last? Or should I just sleeve it right off the bat. I DO plan on sleeving for NEXT season (2008) But this year, I just wnna get the car up there...Sounds like the block filler idea is out...any other suggestions. From what I'm looking at, it sounds like I may be better off just getting pistons and rods, and give a good hone, otherwise, just leave the block alone...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck going 10's consistantly every other weekend on a budget. There is a huge difference in parts/price/and time to run consistant 10's vs running high 12's like you are running now.

I ran 12.2's all day long for 3 years with hardly having to do anything to my car except change the oil and other minor things and that included driving the car to and from the track. I steped up to sfwd this year and it was a huge learning curve. Its funny how so many people on this board think running a 10 is easy. If it was as easy as 99% of the people think then the classes would be a lot fuller and we would not have oil downs all the time.

Good luck on running 10's consistantly on a budget. I would suggest selling the honda and buying a domestic they can go 10's cheap and consistantly.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filler? (Christopher M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Christopher M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Beau the admin from HMT not hotrex's retarded *** who didnt even clean the block before assemley ran mid 10's with a filled b16a block making almost 500 whp forover 2 years until he dropped a valve.

Hotrex also has his cars catch on fire so he is not the one to judge vased up on this. If you want info regarding this topic look under the Hybrid section on HMT there is a fullw rite up along with plenty of people running the set up. Some have had sucess others havent.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, 500hp+stock sleeves+2 years= a succesful build.