Notices

The "Best" Pump Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default The "Best" Pump Gas?

Just wondering where all u guys go for your pump gas? I've heard of certain stations or companies that just sell watered down gas and other that people swear by! Me being boosted it would ruin my motor to get even 1 bad tank of gas with my cp ratio. A local tuner swore shell was the best stuff, so that's what i've been running Shell 93 V-power. just post up what u run and why.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The "Best" Pump Gas?

Anything non generic I put in my car. I'm in the same boat as you being boosted. I usually put Hess, Shell or Mobil 93 octane in my car.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GEN2 LS
Just wondering where all u guys go for your pump gas? I've heard of certain stations or companies that just sell watered down gas and other that people swear by! Me being boosted it would ruin my motor to get even 1 bad tank of gas with my cp ratio. A local tuner swore shell was the best stuff, so that's what i've been running Shell 93 V-power. just post up what u run and why.
Shell V-Power has a bunch of additives for PRODUCTION (factory) cars...I can always tell when a customer comes in running V-Power because the plugs are GREEN.

Sunoco 93 all day long, just always TRY and get your gas at the same gas station at the same time of day. (1st thing in the morning is better than afternoon or night)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
(1st thing in the morning is better than afternoon or night)
Is that a myth?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the Q re:myth?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep Iv always run shell and never seen my plugs green. The time of day just doesnt make sense, the truck Im sure has a schedule and probably stops by once or twice a week on the same day every week.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard of not gettin gas when the tanker is there but not specific time of day.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like chevron 94.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
Shell V-Power has a bunch of additives for PRODUCTION (factory) cars...I can always tell when a customer comes in running V-Power because the plugs are GREEN.

Sunoco 93 all day long, just always TRY and get your gas at the same gas station at the same time of day. (1st thing in the morning is better than afternoon or night)
um...ive been running shell v-power for 2 years now, and my plugs are not green
Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe the time of day thing relates to expansion and getting more for your money. Get it earlier, when its cooler, instead of the heat of the day.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My tuner swear by BP 93 beside e85.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm tempature seems to make sense, but dont act like the distributer doesnt know about it and I can assure u they r taking advantage of any advantage they can get over you. It makes me wonder if the 93 oct is 93 before they add the 10% ethonal or after. Im sure after....like i said any advantages. I wish i could get e85
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da_dude
My tuner swear by BP 93 beside e85.
BP gas is watered down with gulf waters.

I only use sunoco 93
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, u definitly want to use a gas that moves, nothing thats been sitting for a while. I used this 95 oct one year than tried it again three years later and both times it made the car run like **** and I had to put octane booster and top it off with shell 93 to get it back to spec. I think moisture gets built up (all gas has some water in it) over long periods of time and waters the gas out to ****
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Night or day the temps in the tanks are not too far off. maybe a 4-5 degree's. it's so small it's not notice able in the gasoline expanding or not, and when I say small it's in pennies by the fill up.

All gas follow the same federal guideline, so there is no such thing as "watered" down gas. Now check state to state to see what % of addictives is allowed and which is used.

All the top tier gas just have more cleaning additives. If anything you would watch out for in quality is the station itself, as in how ofter do they change out the filters on their pumps. If it flows less then 8 gallons per minute, their filters are starting to get clogged. PS the filters are designed to catch water/dirt from the gas.

Also most Gas stations that have a monitoring system shows if there's water in the tanks. In California, Gas stations are allowed to have 20 gallons of water in the tank, before it needs to be removed.

When I buy my gas, I go to a place I know that keeps up on their maintains their pumps once a month. Any station that flows 100,00 gallons a week should be changing their filters once a month. I know in Cali they're are trying to get a law requiring stations to modify the pumps to flow the gas correctly depending on temps. Since it's so small from many test and studies, if they add the mods it will cause the gas in Cali to rise so that retailers can recover the cost of the new equipment.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HoldTheRice
I believe the time of day thing relates to expansion and getting more for your money. Get it earlier, when its cooler, instead of the heat of the day.
no way the tank that the gas is stored in is underground 5-15 feet. so the ground would insulate it from the heat of the day. probably less then a 1/2 a deg temp change throughout the day.

ps i wish we had any higher octane than 92 here :-(
Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
i like chevron 94.
Me too, pretty much the highest octane rating around these parts. Interesting to read peoples opinions on so called watered down gas and best time to get it aswell.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing I have wondered, is that many stations have the single pump for all 3 grades. Meaning you there is physically one pump at the station and you push the 87,89,91/93 button. Now inevitiably the person before you pumped 87, cause thats what most people put in there car.

So that means in order for you to get 93, all the gasoline sitting in the hose itself has to be pumped out first. So I would reckon you would actually get 1/2 a gallon or so of whatever the previous person bought before you actually started pumping 93 into your tank.

Make sense?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always gone to 76 or shell, and its always the same 76 or shell.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Westrock2000
One thing I have wondered, is that many stations have the single pump for all 3 grades. Meaning you there is physically one pump at the station and you push the 87,89,91/93 button. Now inevitiably the person before you pumped 87, cause thats what most people put in there car.

So that means in order for you to get 93, all the gasoline sitting in the hose itself has to be pumped out first. So I would reckon you would actually get 1/2 a gallon or so of whatever the previous person bought before you actually started pumping 93 into your tank.

Make sense?
Tankers carry around two blends, high test and lowest. They either mix for the different grades coming out of the truck, or at the pump like you say. The minute amount that might be left in the pump will not bring down your octane enough to be measurable to detrimental to your motor.

Originally Posted by oneiro
Also most Gas stations that have a monitoring system shows if there's water in the tanks. In California, Gas stations are allowed to have 20 gallons of water in the tank, before it needs to be removed.
There is a paste that you put on the end of the measuring stick they use to stick the tanks. When I owned my gas station we were required to stick the tanks at the end of the day, and put the paste on the stick to detect water. Since oil companies are notoriously cheap, I imagine this is how most places still do it, unless built recently with newer technology.

Originally Posted by kaiba
Is that a myth?
Not a myth, depending on your climate...the gas in the tank warms a little and EXPANDS as it does. The pumps dont have a correction in them for this since it averages out on a daily basis anyways. Tanks are in the ground though because the temps dont change that drastically. BUT, the tank in your car is a different story...if you are filling up when you are empty, not a huge deal, but if you fill up at around half tank, could be a different story.

You will get more gas in your tank when the temp of the gas is cooler...how much more, I dunno, ask an engineer.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They stilll use that paste, the one that turns pink. The new TLS systems that newer gas station uses can see how much water is sitting at the bottom of the tank.

Most delivery tankers while dip the tanks and compare it with the tank readings. The only time the station ever had water in the tank was when they filled it with water to a pressure test before the opening of the station. Ever since then I've never seen water in the tank
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

e85 can be delivered to your door in 55 gallon drums as well as e98
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

only read a couple of post

My old neighbor when i lived with my mother delivered gas to stations. This is what he told me.

-never fill up when the tanker is there, sediment at the bottom of the tank is stirred up
-always try to buy gas at a high traffic place doesnt really matter time of day.
-stick with the same place if possible.
-name brands make a difference.

He's told me he delivered gas to some places and he wouldnt put that gas in a lawn mower.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanman000719
e85 can be delivered to your door in 55 gallon drums as well as e98
Iv looked into this and came to quite a few dead ends. Could u point me in the right direction
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ahobbs
only read a couple of post

My old neighbor when i lived with my mother delivered gas to stations. This is what he told me.

-never fill up when the tanker is there, sediment at the bottom of the tank is stirred up
-always try to buy gas at a high traffic place doesnt really matter time of day.
-stick with the same place if possible.
-name brands make a difference.

He's told me he delivered gas to some places and he wouldnt put that gas in a lawn mower.
That is true about delivery trucks stirring up the sediment in the tanks, but most newer gas stations have fuel filters on each pump per grade the size of a child's head. You can tell when their filters aren't being maintained, if the flow rate of the dispenser is less then 8gallons a minute, I would stay away.

Btw some stations that don't have a duel vapor recovery system will get vapor lock when a tanker trunk delivers. When that happens the pumps won't be able to dispense gas.

Quick Reply: The "Best" Pump Gas?