Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner turbo

I have a 16z6 that I am in the process of adding a turbo to
My HP goal is only in the high 100s so like 180-190ish
The motor is stock and I don't really plan on doing anything to this one
I have 350's

I am looking for a beginner turbo? I do not have $700 for a turbo so I'm probably looking for a used one..
I see a 50 should work but is there any oem turbo I could use for my goal?
or something specific I should be looking for when I look to buy a used turbo other than if it needs rebuilding?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: beginner turbo

Get an old T3 60trim off a Z31 300ZX turbo or a Saab .42/.48 turbo. You can find either of them for cheap on eBay or scrapyards. Either of them have enough flow to do mid-low 200's and still have good response.

Volvo turbos are also good for your goals.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a gt17 at the yard close by is it too small from what I've read it was a waste but I will look into those more thank you
Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, GT17 is still do-able, but a bit small. They came on Saabs also.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could get by with a dsm 16g if you can find one in decent shape
Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont have the $700 for a turbo, do you have the $500 you'll need for tuning, or the money for a proper EMS or for injectors? There are certain things you can skimp on but boosting an NA car is not a cheap undertaking. Even on a budget, you're still going to approach $2000 unless you completely half-*** something
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schister66
If you dont have the $700 for a turbo, do you have the $500 you'll need for tuning, or the money for a proper EMS or for injectors? There are certain things you can skimp on but boosting an NA car is not a cheap undertaking. Even on a budget, you're still going to approach $2000 unless you completely half-*** something
I disagree. I don't see why he can't use a smaller used turbo and meet his goals. Which leaves a lot of space for cheaper components. Log manifolds are cheap and will meet his goals. DSM 440cc injectors are more than fine. All stock motor. eBay intercooler/piping. Tuning is completely up to him too. He can go cheap with something like a Demon RTP and do it himself. Or he can just leave it as is and a lot of places do ectune, which is pretty cheap.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Man U FTW

I'm not saying he can't run a smaller turbo to meet his goals and stay within his budget, but what I was getting at was his budget constraints. This isn't a cheap hobby and that statement to me seemed like the tip of the iceberg.

There is a point where you have to step back and realize that by cheaping out, you might actually be making the car worse. **** setups invite problems (which cost money) and when money is already tight, it tends to end badly. Again, not trying to dissuade you from doing it, but realize that it isn't as simple as people like to think.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know a guy that has a log manifold, a small OEM turbo, Ebay intercooler etc, and a 12:1 FMU that runs high 13's all day with no tune on stock injectors, and has for years. Some people get lucky with cheapo set-ups.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
I know a guy that has a log manifold, a small OEM turbo, Ebay intercooler etc, and a 12:1 FMU that runs high 13's all day with no tune on stock injectors, and has for years. Some people get lucky with cheapo set-ups.
Ive heard of a setup like that lasting before. But at the end of the day ALOT more setups like that dont last. If there was one place I wouldnt cheap out on its the tuning.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmatt
Ive heard of a setup like that lasting before. But at the end of the day ALOT more setups like that dont last. If there was one place I wouldnt cheap out on its the tuning.
Totally agree.

I know I have slowly spent much more money than I originally budgetted for my turbo set up. 250 whp is easy and can be done for <$2000 out the door. But then you wanna test the sleeves, so you spend $1000 on internals. Then you run out of turbo. Spend some more on that. Then you are at the limit of stock sleeves, run em till they bust. And before you know it you have thousands in this built motor and a turbo you never expected...

It all started with a log manifold, T3 garret and a street tune.

OP, if you want to keep it simple. Try. I know of 1 guy that had a very fun stock Y7 with a T25 turbo (OEM something) and he just custom made everything. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Street tuned it and ran it till it died. Spun a bearing like every D16Y does. But is was cool while it lasted.

If you are boosting on a budget, I think the most important part is pricing out everything and staying active in the market place/junk yard and look for the perfect parts. It will take awhile to stock pile everything, but it will keep you in budget.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have all the big stuff I need to turbo just no good turbo.. This is my first turbo car, but I do know how to tune myself.. I have been actively looking at what is needed to turbo a car for about 3 years now but I never got into specifics on turbos until now..
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana

If you are boosting on a budget, I think the most important part is pricing out everything and staying active in the market place/junk yard and look for the perfect parts. It will take awhile to stock pile everything, but it will keep you in budget.
This is true

I traded a bad motor for a kit with a bad turbo. I haven't spent anything yet specifically on the build so far.. unless you count the tuning stuff which I had before I knew I was going to boost my car.