Notices

B18C5 bottom end build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C5 bottom end build up

ok, im finally getting my GE sleeved B18C5 block back together, i ordered the helms manuals for my car(97 integra type r) but they took longer to get here than i expected so we started checking the bearing clearences using gsr torque specs.all the plastic gauge for each of the main caps for the crank were in spec, but when my manuals arrived for the B18C5 engine it says to measure bolt stretch and theres no torque specs. so my question is since the plastic gauge showed there was the correct amount of bearing clearance is it ok to use that or should the motor put together by measureing the bolt stretch? im asking this forum since im am gonna be boosting and you guys build motors more than the other forums.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18C5 bottom end build up (nekkedR)

The whole point to torquing the bolts down and/or using a rod bolt stretch gauge is to obtain proper rod bolt stretch so that it exerts proper tensional force.

The difference b/w using a torque wrench and a rod bolt stretch gauge is that you can't gauge how much a bolt will stretch for a given amount of torque applied with all the possible confounding factors of friction, temperature, cleanliness, etc.

With a stretch gauge, you know for sure that a bolt is stretched so much and properly so to the specified length without making any assumptions.

You might wanna try:
If the rods are being reused, measure the before (free-standing) length and length after step-torquing from 14lb*ft to 25lb*ft at first and move up to a max of 33lb*ft if you're still not getting the proper stretch with 25lb*ft. Continue to use that method and torque spec for assembly. Use a micrometer to measure the difference if you readily have one. If you have neither, buy the rod bolt stretch gauge. Altho, you might be able to make your own, but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Don't forget to use moly assy lube each time you torque the nuts down, or at the very least, use 30W oil, but stay consistent with your assy lube otherwise you'll be making incorrect assumptions.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18C5 bottom end build up (IN VTEC)

I should also add:

If a rod bolt has permanently stretched .0050'' or more in FS length, the bolt has been compromised beyond its limits and should be replaced.

If you replace the rod bolts, you'll have to check for rod big-end concentricity and line bore as necessitated.

Edit: Sorry, I kept changing my mind on the max allowed FS stretch b/c my calculations kept getting the best of me. Yick.

[Modified by IN VTEC, 1:11 AM 2/10/2003]