Notices

B18C1 - Damaged Piston - Pic

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default B18C1 - Damaged Piston - Pic

Long story short i bought a used short block with low mileage, unfortunately ups did a number on it during shipment so some things will be repaired or replaced after my claim has been processed "missing some head studs/damaged crank shaft pulley etc"

How-ever i noticed some damage today upon further inspection to 1 of the pistons. As you can see in the pic's it looks like maybe there was some valve tap or perhaps detonation? There are small knicks on the top of 2 of the pistons how-ever one of them also has a small chip towards the edge of the piston. Block was said to have around 500 miles on it.

Block Specs:
B18C1 "shortblock"
cp pistons- 11:5 comp/81.50mm
carrillo rods
type r crank
type r pumps
inline pro block guard
arp headstuds
gates timing belt

My Goal was to slap my stock ITR head and 4.7 jdm R tranny onto this short-block with a 15psi set-up/ vortech kit and meth/water injection. I know its high comp but im also going to run meth/water and have a pretty solid air/water set-up and want to make the most out of 15psi as i can sense i cant run anymore boost than that without a custom pulley set-up.

At this point waiting on ups to see where my damage claim stands for the other misc damaged items during shipping and to see if ill need to replace a piston before assembly.

Pic's were taking with a cell phone camera so bare with me. Anywho whatcha think? Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B18C1 - Damaged Piston - Pic

doesn't look like it's going to hurt anything. the piston is rocking in the bore up top. as long as the side doesn't have a hanging piece of metal....run it
Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like there is some scaring on the cylinder wall right where the chip is. Do the cylinder walls have some scaring to them? They need to have a crossing pattern to them. The marks on top of the piston are alright but that chip is what is concerning. How deep is the chip?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the #2 piston looks like it has a piece missing out of it near the right intake valve.

hate to say it but you might need to take it apart and make a better assessment
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
the #2 piston looks like it has a piece missing out of it near the right intake valve.

hate to say it but you might need to take it apart and make a better assessment
It's just the pic or angle of the pic, theirs actually 0 damage to any of the pistons except number 3. The #3 piston has a few tiny knicks on it on top where there was maybe valve tap and theres a small knick near the top/exhaust side of the piston. Its a bit dirty as there was still some oil in the engine when it shipped and ups did a number on the box/package so it ended up getting covered in it. It had a chipped crank pulley and a broken bolt at the thermostat housing on the block due to shipping but ive made a claim with ups so that should be getting taken care of, besides im going to be running a crv pulley for the higher boost.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill try and take a better look at the cylinder walls tomorrow when i get some daylight, ill snap a few more pic's as well. Yea i hear ya i definitely dont wanna have to tear it apart after the fact or run into any issues once it finally is all finished up and towed to a tuner, especially sense i may take a 5-6 hour drive to get it tuned. Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.