Notices

b18c1 build help

Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 build help

hello all, im looking to doing a gsr swap into my ek in the future and i need help on the build, id like to turbo, what i want to do so far is sleeve the block with a 84mm radius and do 10:1 je pistons and im undecisive on rods, help will be appreciated, i know ill also have to do bigger injectors, i only want about 300-400 hp for now, but i plan to go bigger in the future, should i also do crankshaft and camshafts now, or wait, im sorry if i left out anything, any help will be appreciated, and dont be afraid to ask questions below. thanks.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 build help

Originally Posted by gunpointllam
hello all, im looking to doing a gsr swap into my ek in the future and i need help on the build, id like to turbo, what i want to do so far is sleeve the block with a 84mm radius and do 10:1 je pistons and im undecisive on rods, help will be appreciated, i know ill also have to do bigger injectors, i only want about 300-400 hp for now, but i plan to go bigger in the future, should i also do crankshaft and camshafts now, or wait, im sorry if i left out anything, any help will be appreciated, and dont be afraid to ask questions below. thanks.

Get huge injectors if you are planning to go bigger. What fuel type are you planning? Pump, E85? The type of fuel will also predict your injector size. 300 whp on a stock B series isn't hard at all, but 400 is also achievable but make sure the tune is mint. Ive heard good things about Wiseco and Golden Eagle rods. Not sure on cranks, no experiences or really read about them, so no insight. Cams, stock GSR cams are actually very good for boost. if you want a little more go for ITR cams.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoostAndBoobs
Get huge injectors if you are planning to go bigger. What fuel type are you planning? Pump, E85? The type of fuel will also predict your injector size. 300 whp on a stock B series isn't hard at all, but 400 is also achievable but make sure the tune is mint. Ive heard good things about Wiseco and Golden Eagle rods. Not sure on cranks, no experiences or really read about them, so no insight. Cams, stock GSR cams are actually very good for boost. if you want a little more go for ITR cams.
i have access to e 85, but pump is more common, is there a huge difference between 87 and 95? anyway, i want to know what is all achievable on sleeves, pistons, rods, and injectors, is there anything else major ill need for the 400whp mark? im not dead set on 400whp either, i can settle for less, and im open to all turbo recommendation as i have only researched the engine aspect.

Last edited by gunpointllam; 02-11-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have only researched the engine aspect.
why not do some turbo research all your questions have been asked hundreds of times, all you need to do is search
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a crank. Honda cranks have been pushed into four digits of power without modification or replacement.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
why not do some turbo research all your questions have been asked hundreds of times, all you need to do is search
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you want to use the car for? You are sleeving to get 400whp there really is no need for that at that horse power level unless you are looking to do a particular kind of racing that will be putting hig levels of stress on the cylinders. You can simply get a set of forged pistons (any of the popular brands ),either Eagle rods ( not Golden Eagle) or Skunk2 rods, since they are proven and not that expensive and an engine management system that the tuner prefers to work with. The turbo set up could be a kit or pieced together. Again that depends in the use of the car. Like you have been told before do some research. It is actually quite fun researching and learning.
Good luck
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigmikeinteg
What do you want to use the car for? You are sleeving to get 400whp there really is no need for that at that horse power level unless you are looking to do a particular kind of racing that will be putting hig levels of stress on the cylinders. You can simply get a set of forged pistons (any of the popular brands ),either Eagle rods ( not Golden Eagle) or Skunk2 rods, since they are proven and not that expensive and an engine management system that the tuner prefers to work with. The turbo set up could be a kit or pieced together. Again that depends in the use of the car. Like you have been told before do some research. It is actually quite fun researching and learning.
Good luck
ive kinda lowered my standards, heres my new goal, i would like 300whp on pump, daily driven, maybe occasional track use(we dont have much in iowa) and i wanted to sleeve it so save money for in the future when i really push it, maybe just go with forged pistons and rods, small turbo for now? i also heard that since it will have more displacement(84mm nearly 2 liters) it will have more torque spooling the turbo quicker, would it be better to just get forged internals and small turbo setup for now, then sell the used parts and put it towards a fund for when i really want to build it. also is there a huge difference between 9:1 to 10:1, i know lower compression is better for turbo, but will the 10: make a huge difference?
-many thanks, gunpointllama
Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes just get forged internals. 10:1 is fine. The right matched turbo will help with spool. Alot easier to fit the turbo to the engine. 300whp is pretty easy nowadays. There are loads of guys with that.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigmikeinteg
Yes just get forged internals. 10:1 is fine. The right matched turbo will help with spool. Alot easier to fit the turbo to the engine. 300whp is pretty easy nowadays. There are loads of guys with that.
is there a turbo kit you would recommned, im looking at the go autoworks kit, is there a huge difference between the t3 super 60 .63 and the t3/t04b, is it worth the extra 75 dollars?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a turbo kit you would recommned, im looking at the go autoworks kit, is there a huge difference between the t3 super 60 .63 and the t3/t04b, is it worth the extra 75 dollars?
Item Description
Turbonetics T3 Super 60

Compressor Wheel Trim: Custom Super 60

Compressor Inlet size: 3"

Bearing Type: Standard Journal

Cooling: Oil Cooled Only

Turbine Wheel :F157

Turbine Housing Discharge: 5 bolt standard

Turbine Housing a/r: .63a/r standard

Rated at 325hp

----------

Turbonetics T3/T04B Custom

Compressor Wheel Trim: Super V

Compressor Inlet size: 3"

Bearing Type: Standard Journal

Cooling: Oil Cooled Only

Turbine Wheel :F157

Turbine Housing Discharge: 5 bolt standard

Turbine Housing a/r: .63a/r standard

Rated at 400hp
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Just to let you know, those HP ratings are at maximum efficiency at the crankshaft. please take about 15%-18% driveline loss (I use the average of the two) to calculate a bit more realistically to the wheels of those.. you never want to use a turbocharger that is already at its maximum efficiency in order to determine a general size.

In your case that could possibly mean 334whp at its MAXIMUM with a T04B Turbonetics. You may want to adjust a little larger than that..

Just giving a few "gems" of information to lead you in the right direction is all.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hunter Turbocharger

Would reach your 300WHP with room to grow. Just one more to consider.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bergercurtis
Hunter Turbocharger

Would reach your 300WHP with room to grow. Just one more to consider.
x2 perfect for a street car

Depending on his goals, original post says 300-400 but then says "but i plan to go bigger in the future". Depending on what he has in mind as far as power goals and usage I wouldnt personally go over 400 on the street tho
Old 02-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking more for a kit because its alot easier, but if there is a piping kit, or something along those lines, where i only have to get the turbo and maybe some other small bits, that'd be fine.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking more for a kit because its alot easier, but if there is a piping kit, or something along those lines, where i only have to get the turbo and maybe some other small bits, that'd be fine.
RIght, however this is no problem. I did the same thing (purchased complete kit from goauto). But what you can do is send the turbo into greg and still buy a kit minus the turbo.....Goauto does carry ALOT of turbos so there quite a selection, if you want to buy everything form goauto for your power goals perhaps Turbonetics T-GA 5454 would be a better choice, OR just call greg and let him know what your trying to do hes very helpful

I also added a pic from LSjokers thread hope he dosent mind its a very nice caparison between a few turbos HE has run this was all on a B16 motor.... the 5454 would be one size smaller then the 5857 shown on the graph SO it would be closer to the "57 trim" shown
Originally Posted by lsjoker"
"all in all, good day. heres a breakdown:
57trim / oem b16a cams/ oem throttle body

tga 6157 turbo / gsc n1 cams/ s2 alpha 70mm throttle body

tga 5857 turbo / catch can setup / act streetlite flywheel."
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

woot woot. no i dont mind.

the tga 5857 spooled the fastes out of my my three turbo. im pretty sure the tga 5454 will spool even faster than the 5857, but will have MAYBE similar power to a 57trim.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for an overwhelming amount of support, i didn't think id get this much, i'm glad i joined a forum.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
RIght, however this is no problem. I did the same thing (purchased complete kit from goauto). But what you can do is send the turbo into greg and still buy a kit minus the turbo.....Goauto does carry ALOT of turbos so there quite a selection, if you want to buy everything form goauto for your power goals perhaps Turbonetics T-GA 5454 would be a better choice, OR just call greg and let him know what your trying to do hes very helpful

I also added a pic from LSjokers thread hope he dosent mind its a very nice caparison between a few turbos HE has run this was all on a B16 motor.... the 5454 would be one size smaller then the 5857 shown on the graph SO it would be closer to the "57 trim" shown
I have found a complete kit on go autoworks with the 5454, a little bit more expensive, but cant skimp out when you kinda need reliability
Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have found a complete kit on go autoworks with the 5454, a little bit more expensive, but cant skimp out when you kinda need reliability
Good choice, let me/us kno how it goes I have a similar setup with same goals as u
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so ive been doing a little looking and people are saying turbonetics is crappy, some say they have no issues, any if you have thought?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

so ive been doing a little looking and people are saying turbonetics is crappy, some say they have no issues, any if you have thought?
no complaint here. been using them for over three years i believe. i liked my first turbonetics unit enough to by another one. people i know using them, love them.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
no complaint here. been using them for over three years i believe. i liked my first turbonetics unit enough to by another one. people i know using them, love them.
i was told there new stuff is cheap, is there any other fast spooling turbo kits out there, im not afraid to spend, but i dont want a 5 grand on a kit for 300 whp, dik, i might still go turbonetics, im sure, what ever comes my way i can solve
Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If you're going to go with a specific company turbo, stop with the KIT stuff like it's 1999. You can get a Go-Autoworks Kit minus the turbo, and as long as you're aware of what the turbine flange is for your downpipe, you can pick and choose any turbo you want or what is recommended. It just means that you pull out the card a second time, is all.

If you're afraid of getting the wrong flange style, then get the turbocharger first, and then get the kit to match the rest of it. As long as you stay within the Garrett/Turbonetics/Precision family of Garrett "styled" turbochargers, you're fine..

Start learning about the different turbine housing flanges for both Journal bearing and GT units, start looking at pictures of the flange. make e-mails to the companies you're interested, phone calls, etc. That's the only way you're going to know what you need to know here.

But to think there are just a ton of "KIT" companies from like 10 years ago is not possible.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see a problem with Turbonetics they are a solid company from what I have seen, although I have never personally run one. I only have had experience with garrett chargers. Greg at go autoworks has nothing but good things to say about turbonetics He has sold hundreds of kits with Turbonetics chargers and I dont see anyone on here complaining about them, they do come with a one year warranty.

With that said Go-autoworks sells garrett, turbonetics, precision and bullseye, so pretty much just about anything you want he can get The only brand I would definitely not go with would be precision. I think you first need to decide on exactly what turbo you want and double check with greg if it will work with his kit. Now if you decide to go with a specialty turbo like from STC thats when I would buy the turbo first then send it to greg to make sure everything fits properly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b18c1 build help