B18b turbo prep

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18b turbo prep

Hello, i am new though not ignorant

I have a 94 civic and will be puting an ls integra engine in it come spring. I have already purchased the engine. Please do not attempt to persuade me to get a Gsr or build an ls/vtec. I am just wondering, what can i do to the engine (while maintaining stock internals) to prep it for future turbo. I dont plan to go crazy for i am on a college student budget. I aspire no more than 200 hp or so.

When i ask this, I am focusing on what i can do with the engine while it is absent from the car. Should i replace the head gasket with oem or after market? Is a lighter flywheel good for turbo cause iv heard otherwise? Do i really need better drivaxles? Ecu modifications? Cam gears?

Most of all, should i stick with the ls tranny or go Gsr? I hate to bring up such a contriversial issue, but i cant seem to get a clear answer...

Overall, I am just wondering what i can do to prepare a b18b nonvtec motor for future turbo.

Hopefully i can get some usefull tips on this subject.

Obviously the airheads of automotiveforum.com are as usefull as... oh i dont know but they didnt help me at all!

Old 12-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b turbo prep (Jwbetley)

A thicker head gasket(Cometic, etc.) can lower your compression ratio

ARP head studs are more reusable than stock head bolts

Some 400+ horsepower Hondas still have stock driveaxles

The stock ECU will have to be supplemented - stand-alone, Hondata, Uberdata, etc.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b turbo prep (Machine1)

which tanny do you think i would be better off with? Iv heard both arguments for turbocharging a ls tranny and gsr, but no clear answer.

Also, where can i find( or reasearch) a good set-up for a turbo head gasket/ head studs with torque specifications to suit my project?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:35 AM

I would stick with the stock tranny. Oem Head gaskets are known to be fairly reliable. You can Get ARP head studs from some of the retailers on here check the Sponsor marketpalce.

depending on the mileage of the motor you could replace some seals like Valves, rear main, some bearings also. Really, it depends on what you are capable of doing. When I did mine I replaced all seals and the rod bearings, no regrets...

Good luck,
Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have a full gasket set, everything from oil pan to head. Engine has 51,xxx miles. I wasnt planning on replacing rod bearings, but i do have the know-how... Is it worth swapping them out at 51k. However, I do have the oil pan dropped.

Also, i am planning on getting a lightened flywheel(8-8.5lb) though iv heard bad things when combined with turbo. Is it a wise investment?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already have a full gasket set, everything from oil pan to head. Engine has 51,xxx miles. I wasnt planning on replacing rod bearings, but i do have the know-how... Is it worth swapping them out at 51k. However, I do have the oil pan dropped.

Also, i am planning on getting a lightened flywheel(8-8.5lb) though iv heard bad things when combined with turbo. Is it a wise investment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

As for the flywheel, it's a rather worthy investment on the LS tranny, and works fine. I've got one on one of my turbo cars.

With only 51K on it, there's really not much to prep, it all depends upon what you're looking to do with the engine, and its purpose on street, strip, or track

No need to drop compression. OEM headgasket is fine. Make sure it is torqued to spec, of course.

Some supplemental fuel and ignition timing setup is definately needed, but only go with what YOU"RE comfortable with.

Turbo choice is going to make a big difference..

Don't forget about larger exhaust systems, and whether or not you want to keep A/C or not..

Remember, K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid.. Unless you're going for a high hp or use goal, no need to go overboard.

If an LSD is possible, go with that, you're going to experience some torque steer due to the characteristics of the LS.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I wasnt planning on replacing rod bearings, but i do have the know-how... Is it worth swapping them out at 51k. However, I do have the oil pan dropped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did mine at 135 000 KM which is somewhere around 70 000 ML, and they were fairly worn. They might have still been fine but my Dad the Mechanic recomended they get changed.

I have'nt heard anything bad about lightened flywheels. Bang for buck its probably not so high up there like it would be on an NA setup.

If your going to get a new OEM head gasket spray it with the Copper spray. It wourks wonders.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Copper spray?... really...?

Never heard of that but will look into it.

I do have an msd 6al, distributer cap and segregated coil. Would i significantly have to retard the timing if im only planning on running a maximum of 7-8 lbs. Can i just get some cam gears and tune it out in the future?
Old 12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone tell me why some guys swear by copper spray?

I have used copper spray once on an old 4-runner, and it was just messy.

I've changed many Honda headgaskets and have never used copper spray. Is it because the head bolts are reused? gasket being reused?

I don't remember the factory service manual requiring copper spray.

Even on Mercedes-Benzes that I work on, composite gaskets on some of them, They don't require any type of spray.

We reused a Cometic head gasket with ARP studs and didn't use any copper spray.

Someone fill me in.

And sorry about jacking your thread jwbetley.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill Live...

Anyways, i find the whole copper spray threory to be vague. I asked a few of my friends (one mechanic) and was told it is rare today. It used to be done on budget block chevy's, but should be avoided for reasons of enhanced gasket technology.

Im gonna stick with a cometic and arp's, play it save, though maintining the stock compression. For copper spray I am ignorant of. Somebody enlighten me on the advantage of puting such an inferior substance between the heart and sole of an engine.

As iv heard so many times, "If its such a great idea, why didnt honda do it in the first place?"

Old 12-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay w/ an OEM (or sam thickness HG) because you won't need to lower the compression. The only thing I would "upgrade" to would be to the ARP headstuds. New t-belt,h2o pump and oil pump is a good idea as well. I'm well over 200whp w/ a totally stock B18b longblock

Phil
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well over 200 with stock internals? That is very impressive... What is your setup?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Just boost it and be done with it, I wouldn't worry about beefing up the engine at all, you won't need it for the kind of power you want. The first thing you should ever do with an LS is replace the head with a good vtec (b16/gsr) head and get yourself a shorter geared tranny (b16/gsr), but I guess in this case since your only going for 200whp and don't care about making much power, that might be a waste of money for you.

You just need to worry about building yourself a nice custom turbo kit with good fuel management (chipped ECU). Just have the car tuned well and you will be fine.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b turbo prep (beerbongskickass)

As for your tranny question. Since you're not looking for insane amounts of power, I'll assume its a street setup, so the GSR tranny would be your best bet. Not too short and not too long. And you can easily get over 200whp on stock internals.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: B18b turbo prep (BLacK FirE)

Normally I would say defintely go with a GSR/B16 tranny, but in this I really don't see the point fo spending the money on a better tranny. He is a college student on a budget looking for 200whp. Just boost what you have.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My main concern is reliablitiy. Vtec head on ls block spells disaster unless its potential matches the investment.

Building high power means high invetments, little money, little power. Playing the game requires wise investments and realistic goals. I aspire realistically, setting my goals at my own finacial standards, nothing more.

I will be piecing together my own turbo in the future. The goal; develope the essence of a naturally aspired turbo car and incorporate it into my tired ol' civic(d16z6, 183,xxx)
Old 12-07-2004, 02:29 PM

So you have a d16z6 right now? I would just freshen that motor up and turbo that. I have had great success with my d16z6. You could easily get 200whp out of it and it would be very reliable. I have been running 215whp for 10 months and I beat the **** out of my car daily. It will probably cost you less, since swapping in a b-series motor is going to be spendy. You can use the money that woudl go towards a swap for the turbo kit or rebuilding the engine.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of just goin with an ls tranny with an LSD. The reason; i like the longer 5th gear for highway capabilities. Iv heard of many b18b civics w/ gsr tranny's needing a bigger radiator due to overheating on the highway.

Unfortunalty, my capabilities end with the transmission. I have always been too intimidated to crack open a tranny case( Something about floating bearings...) Installing an LSD is something i have little to know knowledge and experience with. How much do you suppose the installation of an LSD in an ls tranny would run me?

Also, I have not picked out a clutch yet but was looking at a exedy stage 1. How much drivability would i have with the exedy and would the peddle effort be extensive? Is a six puck too extreme?

Basically, the clutch and tranny are the two main ingredients left on my list. Any opinions on a decent setup i should go with?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats wrong w/ a GSR tranny? I ran a B20 w/ a GSR tranny from 2002 until 2 weeks ago. Always ran on the cool side and never hard a problem. Never over heated when sprayed, Never overheated when boosting... And i did 3-5 topspeed pulls a day at one point w/ the turbo kit Only thing an LS would be good for is the 1st and 2nd gear if you had A LOT of power and "needed" longer gearing in those gears for traction issues. Other than that. Id stay w/ a tighter geared tranny unless you already have an LS. Good Luck
Old 12-07-2004, 02:41 PM

Well a good LSD (Quaife) will cost you $900, that's not including installation. Your not going to need an LSD though, go with your stock tranny. Oh and having a GSR/B16 tranny on your b18b won't make it over heat and if done right a Vtec head would be perfectly fine.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The z6 is great, i must agree! I bought my car for $900 with a blown d15 and aquired the z6 vtec engine from the same guy for nothing at all. Threw it in the car in less than a week, and it been great since. I have the d15 tranny on it (lovin the long gears) I do admit that the engine has *****, but no torque. It is the best and most reliable d-series in my opinion, and great to wind-up on occation.

Unfortunatly,
I see little potential with it appososed to a b series. Not to mention the high miles i have on the motor. I would look into it more; however, i have already bought a b18b 95 ls motor, at the unbeatable price of $300. The motor has 51,xxx on it. Had an A/T, so no worries about it being beaten to hell prior.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:47 PM

Ahh so you have an auto tranny, ya defintely ditch that and get a manual GSR/B16 tranny. If you do a lot of freeway driving you might want to go with the GSR tranny. Unless your car comes with the LS tranny, I would never buy one... longer gears suck period.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well over 200 with stock internals? That is very impressive... What is your setup?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

see sig

Phil
Old 12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b turbo prep (hondaguyef)

Getting an lsd will cost more than a gsr tranny. If you're lucky you might even find a jdm gsr tranny with the optional lsd. And tuning is everything towards power and reliability. You could be running 200whp with a **** tune and blowing something. Then there's the other end of the spectrum where you can have a great tune and make over 270whp and still have it be more reliable than the nontuned 200whp.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... I would look into it more; however, i have already bought a b18b 95 ls motor, at the unbeatable price of $300. The motor has 51,xxx on it. Had an A/T, so no worries about it being beaten to hell prior.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now, where/from whom did you get that engine? That's a great price. Sorry 'bout moving OT. Good luck with the car!

Quick Reply: B18b turbo prep