Notices

B18A build up

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18A build up

I posted in the tech forum but got no response so I'll try here. I currently have a b18a which I'm going to build up over the next year or two to handle 12-15psi, a 8-9 compression ratio, daily driver, on pump gas. I'm not really sure what kind of numbers to expect from it.

Here's what I've gathered so far as to what's going into it:
Dish Pistons to handle more boost
Umm...rods...keep stock or replace them?
Valves...keep stock?...(g/f's dad said we could just remove a lil material from them)
Crower Turbo Cams w/ matchin spring/retainer kit
P&P from g/f's dad (money saver ) - question about this later
SS Autochrome turbo manifold w/ t3
Spare t3/t4 turbo sittin in garage - in great shape (money saver, its my bro's)
Moroso oil pan b/c the stock was trashed (rust)
Hondata ecu
All necessary fittings, fuel system, etc.

Ok question time: My g/f's dad is cleaning up the head right now (just got the valve springs out yesterday) and isn't going to start doing anything b/c he says he needs manifolds (intake, exhaust, head) as a guide for how much material he should remove.

Does he really need this or can he just do it and I can find a gasket that will fit later on? He works in a machine shop so just about any work that can be done to a head he can do for me. Is there any other things I should look into as far as the head goes?

I'm really trying to plan this out as best I can and do everything right the first time.
So anything I missed, have wrong, tips, whatever is welcome. Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 09:53 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: B18A build up (BlkChryKord)

From what u are saying...u are a newbie to forced induction which is kool.. But to answer all your questions you might need to talk to someone that has the same setup you do. My 1.8T Civic is moderately built with lots of goodies including Crower rods, Wiseco pistons, Crower camshafts, etc. , etc.....If you are planning on boosting more than 8psi, you might as well upgrade the rods as well as the pistons and rings/seals. Im running 8.8:1cr and it does have some turbo lag but a lightened crank pulley or lightened flywheel should do the trick. Throwing parts together won't tell you a specific horsepower figure,...only a dyno will...So learn as much as u can before you start this project. Turbocharged Hondas aren't for everyone. TURBOS JUST DON'T DIE...STUPID PEOPLE KILL THEM