Notices

B16 piston on boost?..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 piston on boost?..

Ok I'm in the market for some pistons and was wondering if b16 pistons, pr3, or p30s would be ok pick for boost?.. I'm not gonna build the motor then boost it right away. Right know imma just build it and have it as a daily, and race it every so often. But my question is are b16 piston to much compression for boost..? I want to make around 350- 400 whp on pump gas and they will be 82mm in a gsr block. Note I don't have all the funds for the boost just building right now and not tryin to go over the budget
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16 piston on boost?..

If you're using pump gas, the best choice is going to be something to lower the compression. I can't say which combo will give you the lowest possible static CR with your setup. I would chose that AND lower your power goals. On stock, cast pistons using pump gas at the 400whp mark, you're kind of asking for problems. That's not to say you'll have issues, but the chance is certainly there. Also, the 82mm stock sleeve block would worry me. If you dont crack a ringland, you may crack a sleeve which is even more devastating. I would read the FAQ and investigate your options before moving forward any further on this setup.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
If you're using pump gas, the best choice is going to be something to lower the compression. I can't say which combo will give you the lowest possible static CR with your setup. I would chose that AND lower your power goals. On stock, cast pistons using pump gas at the 400whp mark, you're kind of asking for problems. That's not to say you'll have issues, but the chance is certainly there. Also, the 82mm stock sleeve block would worry me. If you dont crack a ringland, you may crack a sleeve which is even more devastating. I would read the FAQ and investigate your options before moving forward any further on this setup.
Soo your say any boosted stock gsr that have made over 400 whp is impossible?.. Just wondering, and I jus plan on goin oem piston cus it's in my price range. Cp pistons, and any other forge pistons are ridiculous! 500+ for piston jus seems tooo much. So my question again is, is this CR to high? I cant find some piston that are Honda at low compression.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok soo if 400 is too much for oem pistons I can be ok with like 300-350 whp on pump..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

go with these pistons. are you going to run stock rods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-C...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea imma run stock gsr rods but with arp rod bolts.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GSR_hatch936
Yea imma run stock gsr rods but with arp rod bolts.
alright well those pistons I posted above have alot lower compression ratio than any pr3 or p30 you were planning on using. There are a few guys on here making 400+hp on those pistons.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I like the price, and on that page it says low compression piston then in tha description It say high compression pistons?... Type O?..
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I like the price, and on that page it says low compression piston then in tha description It say high compression pistons?... Type O?..
Yes that is a Type O... It says that the kit will include the B16b high compression pistons. They do sell the B16b high compression pistons, and they probably just saved the layout of that and then used it and forgot to take that part off.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok soo if 400 is too much for oem pistons I can be ok with like 300-350 whp on pump..
300whp is usually a safe, reliable amount of power on stock internals.

if you are taking the motor apart you should really try to save for forged internals, you will be happier down the road when you want to make more power but cant because of weak internal components. piston/rod combos go for about $800
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1

if you are taking the motor apart you should really try to save for forged internals, you will be happier down the road when you want to make more power but cant because of weak internal components. piston/rod combos go for about $800
Yea I understand what ur sayin but that's all I want is 350-400 whp lol and if I want more Down the line I'll jus build it again but I want this power range within the next few months lol. And I'm glad you guys helped me find some low compression pistons that are good for what power I want and really cheap
Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Soo your say any boosted stock gsr that have made over 400 whp is impossible?.. Just wondering, and I jus plan on goin oem piston cus it's in my price range. Cp pistons, and any other forge pistons are ridiculous! 500+ for piston jus seems tooo much. So my question again is, is this CR to high? I cant find some piston that are Honda at low compression.
I guess forking over 500+ now is stupid because if your current plan does take a hit down the road you will pay more in the long run by keeping with stock internals at that HP. I would save for forged rods and pistons and possibly get the sleeves honed to 81.5mm. That would be safe, not 82mm. You may even forgo the hone and stay 81mm. I did and that was 45K miles ago. Oh and my pistons are 9.9:1 not low by any means.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Man U FTW

It may not be 'impossible' to make 400whp on stock internals...it has been done many times. The problem rests on the fact that you are running an 82mm stock sleeve engine (which is pretty thin and leaves no room for error), stock pistons aren't the greatest option...especially something with a high static CR, and finally pump gas isn't going to be your best choice for your goals. You'll be reaching into it's upper limits as well. If you were to change one or more of these issues, this would be less of a concern. For example, if you were planning to run E85, you would have the potential to hit your power goal. I understand a build isn't in your budget and that's fine...just realize that you can't always make the power you want without paying for it...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1

I agree they have cp/eagle combo's rodbolts included on ebay for $775 shipped! but if your on a budget regardless, at least go with those pistons I posted up and the arp rod bolts, running 300whp on those will be safer than on stock OEM pistons. if you want your motor to last a good while I would leave it at 300whp, 350-400whp can be done, but the power will kill the motor faster. go with 81.5 or 81mm, leave the 82mm for the all motor guys!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well 300whp is fine with the budget im able to use, but buying forged rods and pistons combos are jus out the window... And as far as getting it bored its a must cuz the previous owner dinged it with his old build. He bent some valves and dinged up the walls, and i need to get it bored. But I will try to say under 82mm for sure if thats the safest for my build and expections.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then I'd look for another block because I would rather use any money toward forged pistons and/or rods rather than honing cylinders. You could easily sell the block you currently have to someone that is going to sleeve a motor. It would suck to find that the dings in your cylinders now don't come out at 81.5mm and you would have spent unnecessary money.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the ding isn't all that deep, and where I'm from people don't jus trade block on day to day bases. I have to drive either to houston which is a long drive and I'm just gonna stick with a 80 dollar bore instead of 800 rods, and pistons. I'm not trying to make alot of power and yes I want it as reliable as possible, but like I said forge rods arnt goin in my block unless someone gots a really good price on them where I can buy them!..
Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I found some eagle gsr rods for 200 used.. Imma get them and use Nippon pistons, is that an ok combo for the whp I'm wanting to make?.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Man U FTW

That's actually backward from what you'd ideally want IF you had to skimp on parts. The pistons are the weaker of the 2; however, the Nippon pistons are stronger than stock. I'm not sure really what to advise at this point There are a lot of people who make high 300s and even into the 400s on stock internal blocks...generally they're using a higher octane fuel like E85 while doing so. In your case, i think you should be able to hit 350-375whp; HOWEVER, you're bordering on the not-so-safe range for power on stock-ish pistons with pump gas...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok soo if I stay under 82mm I can be ok with that set up?... If I get lucky and bore it to 81.5mm would be safe?.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so would I be better off with gsr stock rods and buy cp pistons or je?.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so would I be better off with gsr stock rods and buy cp pistons or je?.
The guy I bought my current car from had done just that. Had some shop open the motor, put in JE pistons and kept the stock rods. The motor ran great for a while. Of course 3 weeks after I bought it, a big end rod came loose and banged around inside my motor for a split second then shot up into a cylinder freezing the motor and ruining the block completely.

That dude spent crap loads in labor just to have some stupid pistons put in and leaving a weak rod assembly to hold it just to save a few hundred. This was at 230whp! Lesson learned...don't go half-assed.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
The guy I bought my current car from had done just that. Had some shop open the motor, put in JE pistons and kept the stock rods. The motor ran great for a while. Of course 3 weeks after I bought it, a big end rod came loose and banged around inside my motor for a split second then shot up into a cylinder freezing the motor and ruining the block completely.

That dude spent crap loads in labor just to have some stupid pistons put in and leaving a weak rod assembly to hold it just to save a few hundred. This was at 230whp! Lesson learned...don't go half-assed.
Ok so get the eagle rods and Nippon piston?... that's bout the best forge I can do at this point... And I understand what ur sayin, but I was gonna use arp rod bolts not sure if the guy u speak of used aftermarket rod bolts or not?... Maybe that was the case y it messed up?. What block was it?.

Quick Reply: B16 piston on boost?..