Notices

Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE...

I know, I know... most people hear AUTO and modified engine in a honda and they cringe. But I still want to know... how is it ? B series, H22, w/e... but boost + auto = Fun ?

I've only been in an auto 1.5 on boost, but I want to hear from DOHC setups with auto trannies. And what, if anything, do you have done to strengthen the tranny or torque converter, etc.

Reason ? I am considering an auto on a daily driver and would love to have some boost in the mix for more power....
Old 02-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (X2BOARD)

I still haven't learned how to drive an automatic.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (coocoo32)

We boosted my GF's auto Integra LS with a T3/TO4E 50 trim, on 6 psi the tranny was slipping like a baby deer on ice in 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (Napoleon Dynamite)

Well... there must be an upgraded tq converter available ?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well... there must be an upgraded tq converter available ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The torque converter functions sort of like the clutch in a stick car (transfers power from flywheel to transmission) but it can't slip like a clutch can. Inside the transmission power isn't transfered directly from gear-to-gear with a lever to select the gear, the power is transfered through a planetary gear set, with a set of bands that clamp down to determine the gear. At higher horsepower levels these bands simpley don't grip hard enough, and the transmission slips. Common upgrades in other automatic transmissions are thicker or stronger (IE, kevlar) bands, or a new valve body that increases transmission pressure and therefore clamping power of the bands. I'm not sure if somebody even makes stuff like this from hondas.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (Napoleon Dynamite)

i was ALL about doing the auto tranny with my turbo setup... it's a waste of time and money. Even with a upgraded tourqe plate, risers, pads, oil cooler, everything.. it just does'nt work anywhere as close to a 5 speed. Auto's are just not usable.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was ALL about doing the auto tranny with my turbo setup... it's a waste of time and money. Even with a upgraded tourqe plate, risers, pads, oil cooler, everything.. it just does'nt work anywhere as close to a 5 speed. Auto's are just not usable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda autos are just not useable
Old 02-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honda autos are just not useable </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Hondas make a mean manual that can take almost 1000whp but they suck at making a auto tranny that can take any kind of power or aggresive driving.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:40 PM

I know someone with a H22 in an EG running turbo and nos, runs 11s and it's a race car only. I think he blew a couple of trannies though. If you plan to run low boost like 6-8psi in an automatic, I think you'll be fine.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct. Hondas make a mean manual that can take almost 1000whp but they suck at making a auto tranny that can take any kind of power or aggresive driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>
**** my d series manual tranny feels like its getting pretty weak after only throwing about 200whp at it
Old 02-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
**** my d series manual tranny feels like its getting pretty weak after only throwing about 200whp at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's just cause it's a D... mine felt the same. but when i went B... my gsr tranny felt like shifting sex0r
Old 02-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (SOHC_MShue)

you'll be fine. i have a dx tranny and im sure over 300whp at this point. no probs here...might wanna replace the diff though.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (sohcmasta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll be fine. i have a dx tranny and im sure over 300whp at this point. no probs here...might wanna replace the diff though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT?!? DX auto tranny making 300whp and you're fine......this has to be a joke....if not prove it cause you have one magical tranny from what i have heard around HT!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple companies are making converters at this point. Along with several other companies making internal parts for honda auto trannies. If you built one right it would probably be just as fast as a stick car. Depending on the stall you run, 5000rpm stall = instant vtec and boost.

http://www.tciauto.com/sport_compact.htm

http://www.zex.com/Technical/C...7.jpg

http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm

http://www.levelten.com/store/...c.htm

http://www.levelten.com/store/...c.htm
Old 02-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (sohcmasta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcmasta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll be fine. i have a dx tranny and im sure over 300whp at this point. no probs here...might wanna replace the diff though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea its just started to grind 3rd pretty bad.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (sponsored1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sponsored1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A couple companies are making converters at this point. Along with several other companies making internal parts for honda auto trannies. If you built one right it would probably be just as fast as a stick car. Depending on the stall you run, 5000rpm stall = instant vtec and boost.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And instant **** street driving and mileage, too!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Napoleon Dynamite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honda autos are just not useable </TD></TR></TABLE>

How about gm auto trannies....I remember reading a while back that a company was in the process of making adaptors that would allow you to use a gm auto tranny..which are good for numbers that most Hondas will never acheive. However, these were being built for the intention of full blown racecars, and those trannys probly wouldnt go into a honda transmission tunnel nicely...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE... (overkill)

I hate my auto. It was fine at first, but now it will be swapped for a 5 speed. Auto is fine for a little bit, but it wont last long.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.... so far, mostly negative as hell.

How about the H22 auto tranny ? I was also considering going H22 turbo instead of B series turbo.... is the H22 auto any stronger ?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: (X2BOARD)

I've been auto and boosted for 2.5 years.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been auto and boosted for 2.5 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>
whats your setup. How do you like it?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats your setup. How do you like it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
JRSC on my Prelude. I like it alot. I even ran 9 psi on it for over a year.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

cool
Old 02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I want to be MADE into Ice-T

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool </TD></TR></TABLE>

unlike you matt
Old 02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TABIAS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TABIAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unlike you matt </TD></TR></TABLE>
troll

Quick Reply: Automatic and Boosted ? Identify yourself if you DARE...