Notices

Anybody got a failed Precision BB? Need a part

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody got a failed Precision BB? Need a part

Hello,

I'm sure somebody else will have a failed Precision somewhere. I'm just looking for the oil restrictor/catridge locator. I've bought a used turbo with it missing. The shaft was knackered anyway, so I got another Turbonetics shaft to replace it, but can't get a catridge locator.

Precision don't sell spares (probably so you don't strip them and find out they'r made in china) so i'm wanting a second hand item.

PM me if you have one. The part is circled in red in this picture.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...install-28.pdf

Regards
Ricky

Last edited by RickyLee53; 09-14-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Sorry wrong section, mods, can you please move.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody got a failed Precision BB? Need a part

Surely if you tell them that you screwed the thread they will send you a new one?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
Surely if you tell them that you screwed the thread they will send you a new one?
Precision don't do spares at all. I'm in the UK so it costs a lot to return a faulty turbo. Especially as we see a couple each month. We thought about sending a few back each time, but its always an "end user fault". We don't have the issue with Garretts etc. We've got it sorted now as most of the turbo's share parts with Garretts or turbonetics and you can get spares no problem. Just this one thats a bit of a pain, easy enough to get a shaft.

If I can't get one from somebody i'll have to turn something up but would much rather buy the correct part.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm from the U.k also, I did not know so many people used precision turns in the U.k for you to see a few every month?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
I'm from the U.k also, I did not know so many people used precision turns in the U.k for you to see a few every month?
In the last 6 months we've used approx 20, and had about 5 with problems. However we also rebuild turbo's and not many people have the spares for them so we see a few that way. The older precision stuff seems much better. We've mapped a couple this week with 5 y/o precisions with very little oil passing.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The older Precision stuff prior to 2007 was also Garrett stuff (via contract). Although now, at least with their journal bearing series, Garrett parts are interchangeable with the currently line.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The older Precision stuff prior to 2007 was also Garrett stuff (via contract). Although now, at least with their journal bearing series, Garrett parts are interchangeable with the currently line.
Garrett parts aren't a direct fit, the shafts are a slightly different diameter, we turned some different journals up for them and did a few modifications to improve. We ended up using a different shaft which was fortunately a little lighter.

The mass of the standard shaft in the billet wheel units is laughable compared to a Garrett, hence why the new line from them can still outspool with a "bigger" wheel. (not teaching you to suck eggs...) just for people searching.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
Garrett parts aren't a direct fit, the shafts are a slightly different diameter, we turned some different journals up for them and did a few modifications to improve. We ended up using a different shaft which was fortunately a little lighter.

The mass of the standard shaft in the billet wheel units is laughable compared to a Garrett, hence why the new line from them can still outspool with a "bigger" wheel. (not teaching you to suck eggs...) just for people searching.
Like I said. on the new lines they are definitely a different structure, which can't really use Garrett parts especially after 2006, since they no longer use Garrett internals. You can use a slightly smaller shaft like from a Turbonetics, but as for the DBB ceramic ball-bearing stuff from Precision... Not sure about ANY of it, except to use their specific materials (which they won't sell).
Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Like I said. on the new lines they are definitely a different structure, which can't really use Garrett parts especially after 2006, since they no longer use Garrett internals. You can use a slightly smaller shaft like from a Turbonetics, but as for the DBB ceramic ball-bearing stuff from Precision... Not sure about ANY of it, except to use their specific materials (which they won't sell).
I thought by new you were reffering to this years lines when you said "new". The 6262 still have a Turbonetics shaft.

They certainly made it hard for us UK guys, its not worth sending a turbo to the states for a repair, they either need to get an authorised distributer over here with the equipment to do repairs or start selling kits for repairs IMO. We had to make our own, ontop of this i've seen a higher fail ratio than Garretts and BW's on the precision units, the tolerances just don't seem as good, especially on the early Billet wheels and entry level range. Of late they seem better.