Notices

another smoke problem WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another smoke problem WTF!!!

man,this is really starting to **** me off.
ive got a b18b with forged internals just rebuilt 1500 miles ago,and a garrett t3/to4e turbo with no more then 3k on the turbo. Since the rebuild of my motor at first the car didnt smoke one bit,at idle,going,backing up,nothing. then a few weeks ago it started to smoke at idle,until it warmed up to operating temp. but then thats it,wouldnt smoke anymore. now i started to realize that when i back up,even at operating temp.,the car will smoke. so then i leaned out of the car and hit the gas and noticed it slightly to moderatly smoke when i revved the motor. WTF could be causing this,i have a practically brand new motor,a practically brand new turbo,my car shouldnt be smoking like this. at all.

i know someone is going to ask about my feed/return set up. i have a -10ans oil drain,so thats big enough,and no kinks or bends. for my oil feed its a re-enforced rubber hose,but i DO have oil restrictor on the turbo,so the fitting coming from the turbo is a 1/8th npt fitting. so what is the deal?

also ive heard that garrett turbos are HARD to blow,as in theres basically impossible to blow a garrett turbo. they told me the only way basically to blow a garrett turbo is to starve it of oil,then the exhaust "piston ring" type seal will get hot due to the heat of no oil,and basically "weld" itself to the shaft, therefore "blowing" your garrett turbo. is this true. because ive heard it from a pretty reliable source. im not trying to put words in peoples mouths,so i might have it wrong,but someone from phoenixturbo.com told me this.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (SpoolnByYou)

anyone? any input?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:56 PM

bump
Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Make sure your return line is in a down grade position from turbo to oil pan.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (porsche997dc2)

well, i used that rubber line stuff too, with a restrictor. I switched to a 3an line, fixed my problems. However, mine smoked from the minute i started it up. So, i really doubt this is your problem. As for the turbo blowing, i believe it. I asked a Turbo shop about that too, when i was having my problems, and they said there are no oil seal to blow. I found a diagram on line that verified this as well, it uses the pressure differences to seal it up. Also, I just tore mine apart for some new bearings, and again see no seals. So, i say

As for your problem, do a compression, leakdown test and start from there. Hows your breather setup.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CONDENSATION?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (ek9vboi2)

the rubber hose as a feed <U>might</U> be it,becasue i was thinking that too,so i think im going to run to the autoparts store,or order a 3ans steelbraided hose and see what that does. but again,not sure,and doubtful.

as for compression test,ill do another one tomorrow but last time i checked it (and ive checked it twice since the rebuild,and only 15xx on motor) it was fine,at between 175-180 across the board. but ill check that tomorrow.

also,driving home tonight reminded me of something. after driving for awhile,i can smell the smell of burning oil while driving the car,from inside the car. just wanted to add that in,if it would matter in this factor.

anyone else ANY other ideas?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpoolnByYou)

who rebuilt the motor?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (Toda Party)

i work at a shop,so me and one of the shops techs put the motor together.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

compression/leakdown test it yet?...

valve seals?... crank evac/catch can setup?...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 AM

oh god,another case of not reading the post.

Yes,ive dont a compression test,YES it was fine.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnByYou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh god,another case of not reading the post.

Yes,ive dont a compression test,YES it was fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't be a smart ***, he was trying to help.

If the problem happen only in vac. like under decel or at idle then it's either a valve seal problem or turbo seal problem.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics
Old 02-01-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: (2point2)

im not trying to be a smart ***,im just saying please read the post all the way thru before.i appreciate any,and ALL help. greatly

i was talking to my mechanic and now im between 2 things. I think its either to much oil pressure getting to the turbo due to the rubber hose instead of a 3ans line,even though i have a restrictor. OR it is infact my valve seals. i talked to him and told him what was going on and he said valve seals. but why would they just go out like that?when we rebuilt the motor,all we did to the head was machine it,and pressure test it. and before the rebuild everything was fine. so if it is infact the valve seals,what would cause them just to leak all of a sudden like that?

im not saying those 2 are what is going on,im just leaning tward them. im going to buy a 3ans line this weekend or something,so when i put that on ill tell you the results. ANY other ideas guys? ANY?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:16 AM

i was just thinking. when we first put my motor together,the timing (cam not ignition) timing was off 2 teeth,and i drove around like that for about 1k miles. no bend valves or anything,but could that be a factor,if infact it is the valve seals?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how many total miles are on the head ur using (approx)...

or what year head is it
Old 02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull off your down pipe and see if there is any oil... if there is, likely your feed line. If its dry, then i'd vote valves.

also what is your pcv setup
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same smoke problem as you on my turbo GSR. I just had the head rebuilt over winter with new valves, springs, retainers, guides and seals. I just got the car running again last week and it is still smoking at idle. I have basically the same turbo as you and I'm leaning on that as my problem. I'm actually going to be getting a GT30R in a few weeks so hopefully the smoke will stop with a new turbo. I wish I had some stock headers to throw on there to see if that would help.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (mstolars)

total miles on the head is approx. 70K and the head is a 97 i do believe

about taking off the downpipe,ill do that but when i have time. but from what i can see under the car,the end of the downpipe kinda looks a lil wet. but i really cant see that great.but ill check it and post again. and my pcv system is pretty much like stock. have the pcv valve still hooked up,its just instead of the hose coming from the head to the intake pipe (like stock) i just have a breather filter.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

70 k miles?

valve seals 4 sh0
Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (Toda Party)

my bad,the head is a 96,not a 97.

why for sure is it the valve seals? my last motor had 130K on it,turboed for 30K,no problems motor wise.

and i did check my downpipe,but not like you said and take it off (agian im at work,dont have time right now) but i look underneath with a flashlight and the downpipe is dry,atleast the outlet. lots of carbon,but no wetness
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

open downpipe hot.... i haven't really researched the whole breather/pcv thread, but i've heard that using a filter is not a great idea. I don't know, mine is stock, the only thing i do is run a hose from the valve cover, to my intake before the turbo, thus still making a vacuum instead of boosting it. You aren't boosting it, but the filter could restrict, at least thats what i've gathered. You may also want to check your pcv valve, i have actually had a bad one.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (coneheadsracing)

yeah,ill admit using a breather filter does NOTHING good. actually it does nothing at all but hurt the pcv system,im just using it so there isnt an open fitting.

but let me get this straight. you have a hose from the valve cover,going to the intake mounted on the turbo inlet. thus acting just like stock,since that hose is supposed to be on a vac. source. this way since its on the turbo,it will NO WAY see boost,only vac? correct? becasue the intake in using on my filter actually has the spot to connect the hose,its just capped off right now. if what your saying is what im thinking,then its bye bye breather filter,hello hose via valve cover to intake on turbo.

never would of thought of that,but is actually totally freakin smart.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the vast majority of honda motors i've been around that had gay oil consumption issues was from bad valve seals..even ur guy said it was prolly valve seals lol.

ur correct on the hose from valvecover to turbo intake tube, but u need a catch can inbetween, unless u wanna suck that **** back into ur motor thru the turbo.

i just ran the hose to my downpipe. suck it out and shoot it out the exhaust. why blow however much it is for a catch can lol. the atmosphere is my catch can
Old 02-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: another smoke problem WTF!!! (Toda Party)

haha,and i just connected the hose between the cover and turbo.

i dont get how you have yours working. if its connected to the exhaust,whats the vac. source that sucking it out?

is a catchcan very important,or can i get by with how i have it. i mean eventually ill get one,or make one,but right now im strapped for cash. and how much **** actually gets sucked back into the intake system,slight/moderate/high?

but back on topic,i guess ill try switching out my feed lines,if it still smokes,valve seals. thanks guys for all the help,appreciated greatly.

Quick Reply: another smoke problem WTF!!!