Notices

another question on finding the right turbo w/ compressor maps

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 07:02 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another question on finding the right turbo w/ compressor maps

I read through the newest sports compact car. they have an article on reading compressor maps and figuring out what part of the map i'll be in at a certain boost level. I had a few questions on this tho...

None of the equations they list use RPM as a variable. How will i be able to tell if a turbo will be able to keep up at high rpms? i've heard ppl saying that "maybe your turbo is running out of steam high end." Even in the article it says to plot different RPM points (how do i do that if the equations given tome don't use rpms). Were they telling me to use boost levels at a given rpm?

It also tells you that you should have the flow #'s for your car to help, but no where in the article does it use the example car's engine flow #'s...

confusing.......any help would be great.

The article was good, but left me wondering how to plot a different engine other than the 200sx they used. Basically all they did in the article was use max boost pressure to find a spot on the compressor map (through a series of equations), which still leaves me clueless about where my or your engine would be on the same map. If i used their ways to do it, i would end up exactly where they ended.

help.

Tim