Notices

Alternator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problems?

alright guys, i really need your help right now. this might be a long post but i need your help bad!! so bear with me haha..
i was on the way to lamar one day and my battery light came on randomly, i thought i stalled my car somehow but my car was still running. after school im going home my rpms drop to 0 but im still able to travel at the normal speed. it would go up to 3-3500 rpm randomly. then my speedo would go to 0 but i was still going the same speed. also, everytime i would give it gas, the battery light would go away but as soon as i let off to slow down or to go to the next gear, it came back on. then on the way to Andrew house, my car turned off as i was going down his street so i just coasted it into his driveway and charged my battery really quick so that i could go home for work. after about 2 minutes of driving, my car died again right in front of oreilys. i bought a new battery because i thought thats what it was. i pulled the things on the battery terminals off to see if my car would still run while it was on with out a positive/negative end on it but it died. my guess is that its the alternator. pulley or belt loose maybe? i wouldnt think so because i didnt hit any bumps that would be hard enough to loosen it but i could be wrong. ive also been told that my supercharger was preventing my alternator from being able to produce enough power to keep my car running for long and messed up my alternator and said my car is running off of my batter right now anyone know exactly what i need to do or exactlywhats wrong? oh and this is the second alternator that has been put on since the supercharger was put on, its not new though.

cliff notes for those of you who dont want to read all of that..
-battery light comes randomly on the way to school
-car dies on the way to friends house
-car dies again after battery is charged
-car dies when positive/negative terminal is taken off the battery
-light comes back on when theres no gas given
-supercharger suggested as a source of problem

i need to have this taken care of asap so i can drive myself to lamar and work. Thanks for any help/suggestions
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM
i ♥ snails

why not buy a digital multi meter and teach your self some basic valuable electric charging system basics. Go buy your self a DMM, read voltage at battery when engine is running, 13.5-14.5 vdc is what you want to see, turn it to ac volts you should see very little, indicating good diodes. Dont disconnect your battery when the car is running, very bad for things, voltage spikes, full fielding, ect no good.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

check the backup fuse in the underdash fuse box.

the only thing your alternator needs to work is the blk/yel to have key on 12v +
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator problems? (SCHatch)

I'm having the same problem with my turbo EF. I replaced the alternator w/ new Autozone junk 3 weeks ago and it seemed to be running fine. Saturday it started with the same symptoms as before I replaced the alternator, rpm dropping to 0, radio started to turn on and off, and the battery light came on. I checked the belt, ok, nice and tensioned. The screw on the power cable was a little loose. Maybe it was that? Nope. I tightened it back down, jumped the car and it still didn't hold a charge. I did notice one thing, the alternator was HOT. I mean, I burned my finger touching the pulley. Is this normal? I didn't think alternator's get that hot. I haven't had a chance to check it on a multimeter but I'll check it this week. I did some researching on the ELD (electric load detector), maybe it could be that?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alternator problems? (HYPROPULSION_R)

if you have a JRSC, I have the same problem, the supercharger cooks the alternator. it doesnt like that kind of heat. I bought a new denso unit and it has lasted longer than the rebuilds