Notices

All you need to know about nitrous oxide!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All you need to know about nitrous oxide!!

well i'm board and i want to clear up some stuff about nitrous. (BTW, stop calling it "NOS", thats not what it is "NOS" is a company that makes nitrous, and it sounds gay. for example: "Dude, you got NOS in your car y0? DaT ***** gotta be HellA fast Y0!", see what i mean?)

Anyways, here it goes:

There are three types of setups for nitrous oxide.
1) Dry nitrous
2) Wet nitrous
3) Direct port

1) Dry nitrous: dry nitrous is where nitrous oxide and nitrous alone is spayed into the intake and the extra fuel needed is boosted through your stock or upgraded injectors. This set up is not safe for more then a 100 shot due to tunning and fuel isues, but is saffer for smaller shoots because you have better controll of the fuel. it is recomended by nitrous companys such as zex to place the nozzel at leaset 13" away from the throttle body, however this not realy the best place to put it. it is better to put the nozzel as far away from the TB as possable so that you get better ditribution through the intake so that an evan amount of nitrous is sprayed into each port in the intake manifold. placing the nozzel farther away is also better because nitrous is VEARY cold so it cools down the air going into the intake, and for every 11 degrees colder you gain 1HP. For custom setups like i have, you need to get a fuel controller and not just a FPR like most people say, it's saffer to get a fuel controller and a FPR wont boost the fuel anough if you want to go over 35 shoot. if you get a zex kit, it comes with a controller box that does all the work for you. when using dry nitrous, you only need one solinoid since you are only injecting nitrous and not fuel.

2)Wet nitrous: wet nitrous is called "wet" because it is sprayed in to your intake or through a TB plate with fuel and nitrous, so the nitrous never realy becomes a gas. with wet nitrous you have 2 jets on one nozzel (or how ever many nozzels you decide to install), one fuel jet, and one nitrous jet. this setup is saffer for higher shoots of nitrous over a 100 shoot due to that fact that you have more controll over the jets for better fuel controll. it still wouldnt hurt to get a fuel controller anyways and i recommend getting one but isnt required. with wet nitrous there is fuel added through the nozzel or what most people like to call it, a "fogger" instead of through the injectors. wet nitrous nozzels should also be place as far away from the TB but not as far as a dry nozzel should because it doesnt need as mutch room to distribute because of the fuel being added and because you shouldnt run fuel lines that far. when using wet nitrous you need two differant solinoids, one fuel soinoid and one nitrous solinoid.

3) Direct Port: Direct port nitrous injection works in the same way as wet nitrous but instead of a TB plate or having just one nozzel, you have 4 (or more if you have a v8 or v6 but this is a honda forum), one for each port on the intake manifold. this is also saffer then dry kits for the same resones why wet kits are better for bigger shoots. when doing a direct port nitrous setup, you need to get a distribution block. a distribution block is a small block of metal that evanly ditributes nitrous from one line into four (again, for hondas). it is veary important to eavenly distribute the nitrous to each port, other wise one port gets more nitrous then the other and you can geuss what happens. you also need to make shure that the lines from the distribution block to each port are all the same langth for the same reson. when using direct port, you also need to use two soinoids for the same reson you do with wet nitrous.

ok, and now for some general information:
nitrous is a gas, but when it is compressed enough it is takes the forum of liquid (this is where that boring *** chemistry class comes in. lol). because of this, it is better to mount the bottel so that the nozzel on the bottel is slightly higher then the bottom of the bottel and so that the nozzel is facing towards the front of your car, bacause when you kit the gas, this liquid nitrous is forced toward the bottom of the bottel where the pick up tube in the bottel sucks it in.
when running nitrous line, make shure you dont run them inside the car or near any fuel lines. since automotive nitrous doesnt have any smell you would never know if you have a leak. and if the line gets hot near you exaust or somthing then the line can break and empty your bottel realy quick and you just lost $50 worth of nitrous.
nitrous solinoids should not be mounted more the 3ft away from the nozzel or nozzels due to pressure problems.
If you are going to use more then a 50 shoot then you need to get colder spark plug and retard your timming a few degrees, once you get higher then a 100 shoot. you need to retard your timming evan more to prevent detonation.
you should not spray more then a 75 shoot on any d16.
you should not spray more then a 100 shoot on a stock any b16 or b18

now for some good and bad things about nitrous parts and nitrous in general:

one is the WOT (Wide Open Throttel) switch. it is good because nitrous is only sprayed when the peddel is puched all the way to the floor. but it is bad because if you spray to early on 1st gear, you can loose tractionand because if you miss shift then and do it more then once, you can blow your engine. witch is why i use a hand switch that i strap to my shift **** so i controll when the nitrous is sprayed.

nitrous is good because it is the best bang for your buck and is only a temporary change, it can be removed at any time. it is can be bad because if you spray to mutch you can fry your engine. and if something breaks wile your spraying, then you can also blow your engine.

That should do for now, i'll add more latter

All comments and questions are welcome!

Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (bluedelsol)

wow i learned so much...
Old 02-24-2003, 06:18 PM
New User

2)Wet nitrous: wet nitrous is called "wet" because it is sprayed in to your intake or through a TB plate with fuel and nitrous, so the nitrous never realy becomes a gas.
So you're saying that when the nitrous splits into Oxygen and Nitrogen it is still a liquid?! Damn I had it wrong all these years. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (laughinxxx)

great info! but you forgot about how none of that matters cuz usually people make ya pull your bottle when you race

i still learned something though
Old 02-24-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (smallttocs)

good info
Old 02-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was always told that nitrous uses Nozzles and Bottles? not nozzels and bottels or throttel?
Old 02-24-2003, 06:45 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

So you're saying that when the nitrous splits into Oxygen and Nitrogen it is still a liquid?! Damn I had it wrong all these years. Thanks for enlightening me.
"Dude, you got liquid nitrogen in your car y0? DaT ***** gotta be HellA fast Y0!",

I think lauginxxx and I would appreciate it if you check your facts and edit your post.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:55 PM
New User

but you forgot about how none of that matters cuz usually people make ya pull your bottle when you race
That's a new one. Who are you racing that makes you pull the bottle? I've never had anyone from the Cities pull that one on me.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:57 PM

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (mos)

nitrous oxide is 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen, it's not pure nitrougen, and it doesnt splitt when it is injected, it is split when it compusts with fuel. whether it is a gas or compressed into a liquid it is still N20. nothing happens when it is injected, it is decompressed at the nitrous soilinoid. I would like it if you would check your facts thank you vary mutch, and you edit your post. i know two people that failed chemistry when they were in school!

[Modified by bluedelsol, 4:04 AM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-24-2003, 07:00 PM

but you forgot about how none of that matters cuz usually people make ya pull your bottle when you race
what would be the point of puting nitrous in your car if you cant use it when you race. i'm not posotive, but i think thats the reson that most people put nitrous in there cars? correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kit is this?
: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=425205
Old 02-24-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (rOby)

Direct port
Old 02-25-2003, 06:23 AM
New User

and it doesnt splitt when it is injected, it is split when it compusts with fuel.
Exactly. That's what we were talking about. In your original post you said that nitrous never becomes a gas when sprayed out of a wet kit. I even quoted it for you. We don't want the new guys getting the wrong ideas because you weren't clear in your explanation.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:08 AM

nitrous oxide is 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen, it's not pure nitrougen, and it doesnt splitt when it is injected, it is split when it compusts with fuel. whether it is a gas or compressed into a liquid it is still N20. nothing happens when it is injected, it is decompressed at the nitrous soilinoid. I would like it if you would check your facts thank you vary mutch, and you edit your post. i know two people that failed chemistry when they were in school!
actually N2O breaks apart from the high temps of the combustion chamber, once it does break apart the oxygen then combusts with the fuel, nitrous alone is not combustable.

in a nut shell nitrous is just another, cheaper, way to get more oxygen into your combustion chamber. with too much oxygen you begin to run the engine lean and thus raise the temp and thats leads to detination. with a wet shot you have the added fuel needed to burn the extra oxygen added.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (silverkorn)

actually N2O breaks apart from the high temps of the combustion chamber, once it does break apart the oxygen then combusts with the fuel, nitrous alone is not combustable.
No, nitrous does not break apart and then combined with the fuel and then combust. high temp wont make any two substances break apart. (my mom is a chemist so dont try to fight with me about this. it will just make you feel bad when your wrong) But thanks for trying

[/QUOTE]in a nut shell nitrous is just another, cheaper, way to get more oxygen into your combustion chamber.[/QUOTE]
i think i said that in my first post, but if not, thanks for clearing that up for us.

[/QUOTE]with too much oxygen you begin to run the engine lean and thus raise the temp and thats leads to detination.[/QUOTE]
witch is why i said to retard your timming and go to colder plugs.

[/QUOTE]with a wet shot you have the added fuel needed to burn the extra oxygen added.[/QUOTE]

you have added fuel with a dry kit too. maybe you should re-read my post. the only differance is that with a dry kit the extra fuel is pushed through the injectors instead of a jet.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what would be the point of puting nitrous in your car if you cant use it when you race. i'm not posotive, but i think thats the reson that most people put nitrous in there cars? correct me if i'm wrong.
what i meant is when non-nitrious people race nitrioused people they usually make them pull their bottle to make it fair. nitrious is considered cheap hp around here and if you have it either pull it or race with someone else whos got it. i dont have nitrious and i never will.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:24 PM

listen, before you go and write an article about how nitrous works please understand how it works first

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) splits into nitrogen and oxygen at about 570 degrees F (about 300 C). Once it has been split the oxygen then mixes, not combines, with the fuel and ignites with the added spark thanks to your spark plug. If you still dont believe me read any official article talking about N2O or even ask your mom the chemist.

also if you look at the cheaper dry shot kits they do nothing to increase the amount of fuel added to your engine. the more expensive and reliable kits, like Zex, will add additional fuel through the stock injectors.

i dont want this to sound like im coming off as a *****, i just want the info to be correct and accurate so that other people reading this dont get confused.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought oxygen has to be paired up with another molecule after it seperated from the nitrogen. Considering it's a diatomic molecule (no7a) it must pair up with itself or another molecule in order to stay stable.

im utterly confused.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:35 PM

Default Re: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!! (tegasaurus)

i thought oxygen has to be paired up with another molecule after it seperated from the nitrogen. Considering it's a diatomic molecule (no7a) it must pair up with itself or another molecule in order to stay stable.

im utterly confused.
your right, but when there are multiple oxygen atoms it will pair up with itself in order to create a stable compound

this is exactly what happens in the atmosphere, the oxygen you breath is actually O2 and not just O
Old 02-27-2003, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE]listen, before you go and write an article about how nitrous works please understand how it works first

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) splits into nitrogen and oxygen at about 570 degrees F (about 300 C). Once it has been split the oxygen then mixes, not combines, with the fuel and ignites with the added spark thanks to your spark plug. If you still dont believe me read any official article talking about N2O or even ask your mom the chemist.QUOTE]

My "mom the chemist" is who i learned about nitrous from. i dont want to come off as a dick ither but why dont you ask a real chemist instead of ready half true articals writen my chemist students. i have read them, they are all writen by a chemists assitant or by a collage student.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:06 AM

UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS: Nitrous oxide has been known to decompose exothermically to oxygen and nitrogen at elevated temperatures. This decomposition has also been shown to have explosive force (also see Reactivity Data).

that is from the University of California, as seen here:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitr...ta_sheet.shtml

[Modified by silverkorn, 11:07 AM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great info! but you forgot about how none of that matters cuz usually people make ya pull your bottle when you race

i still learned something though
?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:54 AM
New User

high temp wont make any two substances break apart.
Are you trying to say that heat will not break a chemical bond? You've got to be kidding me.
"The process of breaking bonds in a molecule is always endothermic."
"endothermic process-A thermodynamic process in which heat flows into a system from its surroundings."
These are direct quotes from "Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity-Fourth Edition" written by Kotz and Treichel.

I think you need to go talk to your mommy some more, and take notes this time.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:05 AM

Are you trying to say that heat will not break a chemical bond? You've got to be kidding me.
"The process of breaking bonds in a molecule is always endothermic."
"endothermic process-A thermodynamic process in which heat flows into a system from its surroundings."
These are direct quotes from "Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity-Fourth Edition" written by Kotz and Treichel.

I think you need to go talk to your mommy some more, and take notes this time.
yes exactly my point. seems that either you misunderstood your mom or she doesnt know everything about nitrous
Old 03-02-2003, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE
you should not spray more then a 75 shoot on any d16.
[/QUOTE]

Why not? Unless you mean a stock D16. I have seen built D16s handle 150 shot easy.

Quick Reply: All you need to know about nitrous oxide!!