Notices

AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING??

Well thanks to hpfsi for letting me borrow his 1010 box. My car started right up after getting a box that freaking works.

Anyways, just a lil confused on how to sync the timing on the EMS. I looked in the manual, but I musta missed it somewhere.

So what is the easiest way to sync the ems timing with the crank. I am trying to set it at 16@900rpms. When I try to adjust the timing to 16 at the crank with my timing light the most I can get out of it was 10 degrees. The distributor won't adjust anymore. I know you can adjust the timing via the ems without having to touch the distributor. So please help me out here and let me know how to do it step by step. My map is set at 16 degree's in the idle area just to let you know.

Also I have a slight surge, in your experience with the ems what usually causes that?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (BodyKits NW)

go on the top, click ignition - ignition

and you see i highlighted the 16's just change all of those at once.

-Josh
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (Blind Fashion)

Yah, I already did that. But you gotta sync the ems to the engine's timing. Like how you match hondata's romeditor timing to match your engine timing.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:54 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

first if u are only gettin 10 degrees timing with it advanced all the way something is wrong..recheck and make sure youre cams/crank are not off, or if the timing light is not messed up...once u have that set at idle..slightly rev it up(assuming AFRs are good) and hold it at different points to make sure it is staying in sync..if not look into (slightly) changing the values (+/-).to the delay comp and/or ignition sync teeth values.....if there is a better/another way to do it, hopefully someone will chime in..
Old 09-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (bruceleeroy)

you have to highlight the cells in the area where the car is idling and set them all to 16. then zero out all your ignition trims. You should be able to watch the parameter ignition timing and never see it move. Then you go to Configure\ECU Setup\Set Ignition and use the course and fine adjustments to match the timing light to 16, or with an electronic light set the light to 16 and aim for the TDC mark on the crank pulley. Sounds like you know most of this, having the trims not zeroed will make this very hard.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING??

to set base timing you do not use the ing maps.....

you use the "configure" "ECU setup" "Set ignition"

Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING??

B18CXr is correct.. You use the set ignition feature..

When in this setup it will tell you what the EMS "Thinks" your timing is set at right now.. You just adjust it to match whats on the screen.. This should be 16BTDC so you put your timing light on the crank and either do advance or retard in the "set ignition" part of the ems.. When your timing is at 16btdc at the crank then you save it in the ems software and your good to go..

The surging might be from you not calibrating the tps sensor which is in the same menu as the set ignition feature..
Old 09-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to make sure the final ignition output is 16 degrees. I always make the idle section 16* as stated above. Helps to make sure the car is warmed up too. It will display this in the parameters of the ignition template. Then you adjust the sync to make the engine match the ems. It will say 16.05 on the sync wizard, just keep adjusting it up or down until your timing light lines up with the crank pulley at 16* BTDC. You do not have to mess with your distributor - it can be sync'd with the dizzy where ever.

Idle surge is bc your idle is not tuned yet. It usually means you are too lean, too much timing, or your idle feedback settings are not optimal. Add some more fuel, try making it around 13.0 AFR just to calm it down then sync timing. Then tune idle. Then go drive.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (Muckman)

Also make sure there arent any other tables that are modifing the base ignition timing map.. I dont think they are setup in the startup calibrations.. Just make sure the set ignition part says 16.05 when your syncing the timing..
Old 09-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (tgreaves)

Aight guys, no offense, but some of you make no sense at all lol.

But anyways, I did double check to make sure I have no other tables modifing the timing. I also checked my timing marks previously and all is lined up perfectly.

I also made sure my MSD was not retarding any timing because this happen last time.

It will say 16.05 on the sync wizard, just keep adjusting it up or down until your timing light lines up with the crank pulley at 16* BTDC. You do not have to mess with your distributor - it can be sync'd with the dizzy where ever.

Now this makes sense to me, and this is what I was thinking before.

But I was curious, if I just set the distributor anywhere and add or retard the timing via the wizard. Couldn't I end up actually changing that 16.05 number to lets say 12 just to get the timing mark to line up on my crank pulley?

And if I am correct, I thought the wizard had to match the crank pulley. Confused lol.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also saw this on the ems forum.

was just curious if anyone uses the set timing wizard in v1.11 or are you guys still setting the timing map to say like 5 degrees everywhere then adjust the CAS to match at the crank.

Thats the way I did it, I did not even bother with the set timing wizard.

So recap.
This is what i did in order.

1- set timing map to 5 degrees everywhere
2- adjust CAS to read 5 degrees on the crank with timing light
3- double checked the pickup comp delay
4- re adjust timing map to my likeing.
5- done

It explains there to adjust the actual ignition map. Like I said I have mine all set to 16 just for reference.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, i didnt read everyone elses threads, but the first are confusing because some people dont know exactly what to do.

Ok its Very simple. u want a target of say 16 degrees btdc. change your ignition map thats anywhere close to your idle point to 16. start the car. click Configure, ECU Setup, Set IGN timing. its target is whatever u put for your target ign at idle on the IGN map. it should come up w/ 16.05 or so. Now, if i were u, id just place the distributor in the middle section of the adjustment range (since u can adjust it within the software) and some cars, such as the preludes dont have an adjustable dizzy anyways.

Check the current ignition timing. if its more than 16degrees, then u know u need to retard it. go back to your computer and you have the option of fine or coarse, if your timing is way off, use larger adjustments such as coarse, if its really close, then use fine.

Once your dead on, youre finished, and now ready to go blow up your car

I dont know how many times i have to explain this simple task
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But I was curious, if I just set the distributor anywhere and add or retard the timing via the wizard. Couldn't I end up actually changing that 16.05 number to lets say 12 just to get the timing mark to line up on my crank pulley?

And if I am correct, I thought the wizard had to match the crank pulley. Confused lol.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The number in the wizard doesnt change when you advance/retard.. You could set your timing in the ems to 14btdc and 14btdc would apear in the wizard.. Then advance/retard your timing until you got to 14btdc on the crank and your timing would be set then..

The wizard does have to match the crank pulley..
Old 09-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just figured out that number doesn't change in the wizard. Since I know that now it all made sense to me. All the retard and advance buttons do is change the mark at the crank pulley. Since I know that now it makes perfect sense and sooo simple like Mase said. I just read soo many ways to do it I got confused.

Thanks again for clearing it up guys, I figured it was this simple, yet I made it way too confusing for myself. I knew I was on the right track.

Ohh BTW, why can't I adjust my timing to 16 degrees at the crank using the distrubtor? Is it the software you think? Cause I double checked everything and I don't seem to be a tooth of. The only thing I can think of is that I have some custom regrinds and maybe the regrinds is throwing off my ignition timing and I need to adjust my cam gears. Any ideas?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ohh BTW, why can't I adjust my timing to 16 degrees at the crank using the distrubtor? Is it the software you think? Cause I double checked everything and I don't seem to be a tooth of. The only thing I can think of is that I have some custom regrinds and maybe the regrinds is throwing off my ignition timing and I need to adjust my cam gears. Any ideas? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can adjust it at the dizzy.. But isnt it eaiser to just press a button to sync it up perfectly..
Old 09-08-2004, 11:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and some cars, such as the preludes dont have an adjustable dizzy anyways. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey now, give some love to the JDM H22's now...heh

I have done it both ways at the dizzy and with the software, it's much eaiser just to click then to grab a 12mm and start un-bolting it..heh
Old 09-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: AEM EMS HELP. SYNC TIMING?? (Alstare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alstare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hey now, give some love to the JDM H22's now...heh
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn Prelude people......Oh wait..... I own a prelude, nevermind..
Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe yah I know pressing some buttons makes it much easier. I am just being cautious because when I had my hondata I was able to set it at 16 no problem via the distributor. I just wanna make sure I am not overlooking something because to my knowledge I should be able to put it at 16 degrees with the distributor, but I can't. Just tryin to make sure everything is A okay before I start doing some tuning.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-16-2004, 03:12 PM

whatz up p can anyone help with timing on a 92dohc 16 valva it came with no pullys on it