Notices

aem ems, can trigger and your VSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS

this might come from left field, but i have noticed a few cars here and there with a cam trigger seem to have problems with their vehicle speed sensor. i think it might be an AEM EMS only problem. im just looking to get some feedback from aem ems users thats are using a hall effect cam trigger. does your vss work? did you have trouble with it at all after the switch.

edit:title should have read cam trigger
Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (mike@synapse motorsport)

Out of over 100 cam trigger kits i've sold, i've only heard of this problem with Ryan's car and with one race car i did. Joe had some issues at first, but changed his harness i think and it started working.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (rota92)

All the problems I've seen are from cars that still have the hacked up engine harness that's 20+ yrs. old. It doesn't matter if you're building a street car or race car, it's always best to just buy or make a new harness. That way you can add all the provisions for all your different sensors.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (Universal Magnetic)

i would also imagine some of the problems you are seeing are caused by the terminal pins being expanded too much from probing them, and then they have little to no contact.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember we have a GSR vss hooked to a D series harness, if that makes any difference?

We have done a lot of different test, I can't remember if we've plugged in a D series vss and tried it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (1992Si)

Yes we tried that Byron.... no workie.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Out of over 100 cam trigger kits i've sold, i've only heard of this problem with Ryan's car and with one race car i did. Joe had some issues at first, but changed his harness i think and it started working. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe only the cdi users?

im just trying to make a little more sense of this. ive never heard of someone having to do all this work to make the VSS sensor work with their swapped b series motor because the engine harness was junk or the connectors were loose.

change harness, connectors, vss. all have continuity and still no workie?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have another EMS you can try?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have the cam trigger but my vss does not work and I have tried new sensors and messed with the wiring. Sometimes it will work and other times it does not work.

Ryan just do what dturbo did with the sensor on the half shaft.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Waiting to go motec to set all that up if needed lol

I'll get back at the VSS if it needs to be, but I can tell when the wheels are spinning and when they aren't except for that finite little bit. But its only a ~600 hp car so there aren't major issues</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave has AEM and I am pretty sure he has it working with his computer. Shoot him a pm.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (underpressure02)

He runs a hall sensor from his intermediate shaft. Non Honda VSS.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems, cam trigger and your VSS (tepid1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tepid1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He runs a hall sensor from his intermediate shaft. Non Honda VSS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I know but it sounds like Ryan thinks he can not do that unless he has motec.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A hall sensor on the intermediate shaft sends the exact same signal into the ecu as the oem honda vss.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the oem honda VSS with my motec.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah and if Tony does it.... anyone can.

From the intermediate shaft.... can you define how many pulses the ECU needs to see? Or are you stuck with 5?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With motec it's totally configurable, and i'm pretty sure it is with aem as well, but i'm not 100% on that.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

devon from aem told me it would work. we messed with it for like 2 minutes on joe's dyno, but did not get it working proper.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 PM

has any other AEM users on honda-tech installed the cam trigger, and have absolutely no issues with the VSS?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

my car had issues BEFORE i installed the cam trigger. my vss now works, it was a pain in the *** and i still cant tell you exactly how/why it works now...but im just going to roll with it

we have installed cam triggers on several cars with out any issues. we pretty much wont mess with a honda with AEM unless it has a cam trigger, we have even done a cam trigger on an h22 car with no issues, and we all know h22's come factory with pain in the *** problems haha

i'll be doing another cam trigger on a b series in the next week or 2. i predict it will work perfectly.

im 100% confident is a problem with either the cars or the aem boxes themselves, not the cam triggers.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

How about this.... to narrow it down a bit....

What AEM box are people using that it has issues with?

I believe Ryan is using the 30-1040 unit.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car had issues BEFORE i installed the cam trigger. my vss now works, it was a pain in the *** and i still cant tell you exactly how/why it works now...but im just going to roll with it

we have installed cam triggers on several cars with out any issues. we pretty much wont mess with a honda with AEM unless it has a cam trigger, we have even done a cam trigger on an h22 car with no issues, and we all know h22's come factory with pain in the *** problems haha

i'll be doing another cam trigger on a b series in the next week or 2. i predict it will work perfectly.

im 100% confident is a problem with either the cars or the aem boxes themselves, not the cam triggers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i never thought it was a problem with the cam trigger but maybe the aem boxes. the cam trigger works like a charm and does what its supposed to.

i was just figuring maybe the reconfiguring of the boxes for the trigger, or the cdi systems might be messing with the signals.

i never had my b series running without the trigger so i cant compare just looking for feedback from trigger users.

I guess im wrong

thanks for the responses though.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike@synapse motorsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has any other AEM users on honda-tech installed the cam trigger, and have absolutely no issues with the VSS?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Out of over 100 cam trigger kits i've sold, i've only heard of this problem with Ryan's car and with one race car i did. Joe had some issues at first, but changed his harness i think and it started working. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With motec it's totally configurable, and i'm pretty sure it is with aem as well, but i'm not 100% on that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is configurable, not quite the same flexibility as the cam/crank pickups, but assuming your in the correct "window" (number of pulse/rev etc) it is configurable to work

also, the cam/crank pickup is totally independent of the VSS, it has its own seperate input
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

every vss issue ive seen is due to the harness connector. people will say yeah, but mine still didnt work after a harness swap, but they fail to mention they did not put a new harness in. these harnesses are closing in on 15-20 years old. Add in all the road grime on that speed sensor connector, plus being plugged and unplugged a million times on the swapped cars, plus coolant running into that connector everytime someone swaps a thermostat, and you are begging for issues. In the cases I couldn't fully clean the connector, I would swap the whole connector or just the pins, but most often connector cleaning and retensioning the pins took care of the issue. Ryan really needs to get an oscope on that car and see if the pulse at the vss connector matches the pulse at the aem connector. i doubt that it does.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

shove a wire into the t3/vehicle speed input, and tap the wire to ground, u should get a vss/mph reading, also monitor t3per
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wanted to Borrow: Oscilloscope in CT lol

I can try to brake clean the crap out of the connector and such but it def. has seen better days!</TD></TR></TABLE>

battery post cleaner works good for cleaning out the corrosion. then use a small pick to tighten the pins to they fit better.

Quick Reply: aem ems, can trigger and your VSS