Notices

ACT clutch broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT clutch broke

my act clutch maxxtreme blew up, long story but if you want to know i'll tell you. anyways does act come with a warranty.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: ACT clutch broke (torr)

just tell us the story, since you made the post
Old 09-04-2004, 12:14 PM

I dont think their is a warranty. I would read this post......... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=215379

then decide on a new one
Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: (TeStUdO)

ok, the stories not a big a deal. i thought it was at the time because i was pissed off. i did read the post on clutches by rocket.
quick rundown, i make over 450lbs. of torque and over 500hp. i 've broken 2 axles due to driver error (my fault) in 3yrs. last week i broke another one.
i wasn't that pissed off because i just keep buying remanufactered axles for 65 bux rather than spend 800 to over a 1000 on axles. all my buddies keep tellin me to buy a set of good axles, but i'm stubborn when it comes to axles.
first of all you've got to understand my point on buying axles. i live in north dakota, our racing season last for about 7 weekends a year (fri,sat,sun), thats it. 365 days a year and we race for 21 days, if it doesn't rain. ( don't tell me to move because, i cant yet. im in the airforce). so buying an axle every year doesn't seem so bad.
well, i also broke my clutch on friday. i've got an act maxxtreme 6 puck. i really don't know what happened, my clutch was fine all season. then on friday the clutch broke, i did nothing different from the other race days, burnouts were the same, launches, driving, etc. then it broke when i was doing a burnout. ( i wish it was an axle that had broke).
i've only had this clutch installed in my car since May. it pissed me off so bad, knowing that this approximately 500ft/lbs. of torque holding power clutch broke.

so my question is, what is the best clutch? when i mean best, i mean a clutch that can be used with my power and torque for driving at ***** to walls for at least over 200 passes down the track without malfunctioning (is there such a clutch, or am i hoping for to much). i get in about 6 runs in each day (fri, sat, sun). so basically a clutch that will last about 2yrs.
i don't have enough finances to keep changing out clutches every weekend, but i can save for something that will work.
::remember, you may have this clutch or know someone that does and makes more power than me. this may be a freak incident or something, but i've changed my mind not to get another act (unless they are free).
Old 09-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (torr)

how did it actually break? explain?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a tilton.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: (Kal)

ok, i took the tranny apart from the motor today.

the clutch looked terrible. the clutch disc was bare except for one pad, but it was about to go too. the rest of the pads were gone, dissentagrated or something. pieces of the pads started to fall out when i got the pressure plate off. the rivets that hold the pads on the disc fell out also, they looked like they were beaten with a hammer. two pads fell out also and were so deformed i was like, what is this? also the pilot bearing broke and was in peices.

so i've got a few questions. whats the best clutch for over 450ft/lbs of torque? (and more)
is tilton the best? do you have a tilton? do tiltons cause syncros to go bad?

what do the pros use? well, i guess if i was a pro, i would change out my clutch before every race event. or do you pros use your clutch until it breaks and then change it out.

: remember, this may not happen to you. i'm just trying to get real info that may help me out.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 AM

any inputs
Old 09-06-2004, 11:29 AM

get an exedy clutch. my cousin has a 600whp civic he races and it has an exedy clutch in it. only thing that broke on his car was a head gasket and an axle couple a months ago.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aznboi3644)

get something twin disc. tilton, exedy, rps, cc
Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Jared)

ACT makes great clutches. They've gone retarded fast in other cars without breaking. If you slip any clutch a lot and get to much heat in it even once you've comprimised it. Since you are so close to the holding limit of your clutch you should step up to a much stronger one.

Do you slip your clutch a lot? It sounds like you do if your making 450wtq and not breaking axles that often. Thats hard on the clutch. Get one that is rated at least 600wtq if you want it to last longer, regaurdless of the brand.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (danl)

it is weird becasue the act in my dsm has had many 11sec passes, but in my mr2 i didnt even get one pass before it slipped, and i found out that the mr2 community hates the act clutch, everyone has had many probs with them...I presonally went with an OS Giken twin disk, (same company as Daiken, which is the same company as excedy), and i have been very happy, although its solid disks, having 2 in there seems to make it very streetable

I would reccomend that you look at spec clutchs for a good street disk, they have a sprung disk right now thats called the I-pad and its rated to hold 690ftlbs, and they sell an upgraded pressure plate to hold it also, i believe they run about 650 shopped which is a smoking deal, and i have never heard anythign bad about a spec clutch

cheers
david
Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (david_rg79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i have never heard anythign bad about a spec clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everybody in the SR20DET has had MANY problems with SPEC Stage II clutches(the kevlar ones). The sprung hub ones also seem to pop springs out more than other brands, but it's not all that common.

Their big selling point is light pedal pressure, which just means the pressure plate has weak clamping force. So they tend to slip alot when you are making beast power.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: (Def)

cool something twin disc huh?

i do slip my clutch alot when i'm about to launch.
any info on tilton,rps and exedy. most of the searches i found were not really tech info. although i did read something about tilton's throughout bearing, is it necessary when using a tilton clutch.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:39 PM

also read a little bit about the exedy twin disc. i know it comes with it's own flywheel, but is there any other modifications that you need to do when installing it.
throughout bearing, pedal adjustment, etc. or is it a bolt on.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 PM

nope the shiz bolts right up, it comes with everything,

umm twin disk unsprung its quite hard to get used to driving on the street for the 1st 3days or so...but after that u figure it out and go form there...i just like i can do a 15psi @6700rpms(thanks to anti-lagg and my 2step) launch and it grabs, and with the wrinkle walls get me the traction i need

I would say if you seriously abuse your car you need an os giken or something like that clutch setup, there is more expensive out there, but IMHO the os is the best bang for the buck

I autox and drag race in the mr2 and i love my clutch

david
Old 09-06-2004, 07:57 PM

I would really like to see some pics on the carnage. I haven't seen the kind of damage you are talking about before except in weird circumstances (extreme heat, etc). Sometimes the pucks will lose a corner of the material or that sort of thing, but to actually have the pucks come off would be really strange. Can you email some photos to me? Currently we are changing email servers but it should be fixed in a day or so. Technically we have a 90 day warranty, but IMO I think we are pretty reasonable considering the type of part we are talking about.

You also said that your pilot bearing blew up which has me suspicious about that contributing to the clutch failure, but it's hard to say without seeing the parts and the bearing would have to be really torn up.

As far as a clutch that will handle the torque and constant racing, many pros use the Tilton carbon/carbon (not metallic) but you will pay dearly ($$) for it and you will still need to take it out every once in a while and put in a new shim to keep it in the right working range. I believe they come with three size shims.

Anyway, I would be glad to help figure out what happened. Drop me an email or call me at the shop.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think their is a warranty. I would read this post......... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=215379

then decide on a new one</TD></TR></TABLE>Dude, that's a little outdated! I don't have any beef with Action clutch and Rocket is really cool..., but that was 2002! A lot has changed! You could have picked about 100 other newer threads. (It was a excellent post from Rocket though)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Re: (ACTman)

tilton twin disc
Old 09-07-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: (bb6h22)

actman, i'm probably one of the few people in this website not to have a digicam, but as soon as i borrow one i'll take pictures.

send me a email at ananhtorrctech@yahoo.com, it'll be cool if we can work something out, like i said the clutch was installed in May but not driven until july.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACTman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, that's a little outdated! I don't have any beef with Action clutch and Rocket is really cool..., but that was 2002! A lot has changed! You could have picked about 100 other newer threads. (It was a excellent post from Rocket though)</TD></TR></TABLE>

#1 dont say you arent biased because you work for ACT
#2 Who cares about the date???
#3 that is the most informative post on this board on clutches
Old 09-08-2004, 12:56 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

david_rg79...

Both Daiken and OS Giken are companies that make parts for everybody but they are not the same company. Daiken makes a lot of OEM parts and manufactures clutch parts for aftermarket companies. OS Giken is strictly an aftermarket parts maker. The Cusco super single is an OS Giken setup with an aluminum cover.

Oh yeah, I use an OS twin on my setup but I think more affordable setups can be purchased from a US company. All of the Japanese multiplate setups for Honda engines come with a flywheel, disks, pressure plate, cover and dedicated T/O bearing.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same thing happen with nearly the same set up.. my clutch only lasted me 6 dyno pulls and threw 1 burn out and threw 1st gear.. when i started to push the clutch in to change to 2nd gear, BANG!...
Here is the leftovers....

I since switched to the Exedy twin disk and have no problems with the clutch..

I would also like to say, I have had nothing but good results using the ACT clutches on all of my projects untill i went over 500whp.. i still like the ACT products and use them in my daily driven car and friends cars..

Mike...
Old 09-08-2004, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

#1 dont say you arent biased because you work for ACT
#2 Who cares about the date???
#3 that is the most informative post on this board on clutches</TD></TR></TABLE>

#1 I didn't say I wasn't biased. Of course I am, but I think I am fair too. Didn't I suggest that many pros run the Tilton Carbon?

#2 I do, primarilly because a lot has changed in what we offer (and probably other companies). Since that time, all of our B series pressure plates use ductile iron, larger rivets, wider straps, our own stampings and castings. They were the first to be SFI Certified and we own all of our tooling.

#3 Agreed, but it's not all that current. At that time the Carbon Tilton was barely known to Import drag racing, Exedy didn't have a Hyper clutch (single or twin) and we were still modifying the stock GSR pressure plates.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:10 AM

I would go with an RPS stage 3.

Quick Reply: ACT clutch broke