Notices

absolutely necessary guages for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default absolutely necessary guages for boost?

i have a wbo2 so dont really need a/f gauge. so do i need anything else besides..

-boost
-oil pressure
Old 12-12-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: absolutely necessary guages for boost? (fafsa)

¿
Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 PM

I went with boost, fuel pressure, and wb o2
Old 12-12-2004, 03:05 PM

the only thing that is absolutely necessary is the boost guage. With the wideband you will be fine. Everything else is just what you want and how much ushurance <--(spelling) you want.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: (fastcivicboy)

any comments on oil pressure gauge?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastcivicboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastcivicboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ushurance &lt;--(spelling) </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had to jump in on this one. Assurance

Anyways I have boost, EGT---wideband got stolen , and Oil pressure
Old 12-12-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (fafsa)

you dont really need an oilk pressure gauge. it just shows you that you have a suffiecent amount of oil (in other words you dont have a terrible oil leak). i have one but really if u just check your oil dipstick every few days and dont notice any leaks then you really dont need it.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:32 PM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: (donkiman)

I was thinking the same thing.

So basically just Boost, and EGT gauge? EGT if I don't get a wideband yet, and I will be fine?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D-t)

The only gauge i have is the gay *** APC boost gauge that read in bar, I barely know what it is at but i know that my boost cut is set at 11psi and tuned that way. Work for a while, i plan on getting a wideband to see my A/F.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (StolenTeg)

Im going with boost and oil pressure

Ive had problems with oil pressure before, no pressure means your snail gets no oil, cheap and easy
Old 12-12-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: (fafsa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so no need with egt if i get the wbo2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

want to know this too, i have oil pressure, boost and a wbo2
Old 12-12-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (slowredhybrid)

On my next setup I'm going to dyno tune, and run just a boost gauge. If your car is tuned already, and your not planning on messing with the maps at all, the wideband may be an expensive light show. Also, if your car is tuned, the egt's equate to about what the wideband will tell you. If it's tuned, just go with boost. Oil pressure if your trying to spoil yourself. Nice, but not neccessary.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (stealthmode62)

The only thing ABSOLUTELY necessary is some way to read boost. Everything isnt necessary but still are important and helpfull.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wideband + boost gauge. Oil pressure is optional, albeit recommended, since you have the warning light (read the double meaning in that one).

"EGT is useless unless you want to tap all four cylinders. Junk information."
Old 12-12-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: absolutely necessary guages for boost? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> On my next setup I'm going to dyno tune, and run just a boost gauge. If your car is tuned already, and your not planning on messing with the maps at all, the wideband may be an expensive light show. Also, if your car is tuned, the egt's equate to about what the wideband will tell you. If it's tuned, just go with boost. Oil pressure if your trying to spoil yourself. Nice, but not neccessary. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im about to tune my own car with uberdata. sry i didnt mention that at first.

so, the wideband was already a must, and so is the boost gauge.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im about to tune my own car with uberdata. sry i didnt mention that at first.

so, the wideband was already a must, and so is the boost gauge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, since UD will display boost in the datalogs, you can technically do without it. Set boost cut, and if you ever hit boost cut then you know you have a problem. If you're on a really tight budget, like most UD kids, you can save a few bucks that way.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, since UD will display boost in the datalogs, you can technically do without it. Set boost cut, and if you ever hit boost cut then you know you have a problem. If you're on a really tight budget, like most UD kids, you can save a few bucks that way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe yeah but im sure i can shell out like $40 for a mechanical boost gauge. thanks for the clearifacation j. davis and everyone else.

what boost gauges does everyone have expeirence with that has acurate readings? ive seen almost a 50/50 split with autometer so whats up? and where to buy for the cheapest prices?

ahh, since i cant PM yet. this is to j.davis...

ive heard the stock low oil light reads a little to late, meaning once it's on your probably already screwed? any truth to that?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehe yeah but im sure i can shell out like $40 for a mechanical boost gauge. thanks for the clearifacation j. davis and everyone else.

what boost gauges does everyone have expeirence with that has acurate readings? ive seen almost a 50/50 split with autometer so whats up?

ahh, since i cant PM yet. this is to j.davis...

ive heard the stock low oil light reads a little to late, meaning once it's on your probably already screwed? any truth to that?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, its more like the "your engine is fucked" light.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:06 PM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: absolutely necessary guages for boost? (Mag00n)

I'm in the same boat, and also going UberData.

So just boost gauge, and I will be fine. I want to get it eventually dyno tuned, but don't you also have to street tune, for WOT, and loads, is it? So I will probably run on a basemap for a bit, then get it street tuned, and eventually get it dyno tuned. So pretty much a WBO2 is necessary unless your street tuner has one which is likely right? Am I on the right track. Sorry.

Also which is the best, or better boost gauges out there?
I don't want a gauge pillar or cluster cutout for the gauges. I'm trying to be stealthy as possible with the gauges, but then again have enough for assurance. So boost, and EGT or WBO2 is all that is necessary, if so that's great.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the popular mechanical gauges are service grade units, and not precision lab instrumentation. That being said... the mis/un calibrated Autometers can be adjusted to work just fine. People are too lazy.

$5 un-illuminated Grainger gauge is what I ran for a while, -30-0 vac 0-30 psig. John Deere Spec instrumentation rules

I've yet to see an oil pressure gauge off to the side catch your eye like a red light positioned front + center. Never had an oil pump go on me, so I've never worried about it that much.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gauges are pretty much just a preference. If you want to have "some" idea of what is going on with your car.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

i think im going to get a mechanical boost and oil pressure.

wheres the best place to get them from?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wideband + boost gauge. Oil pressure is optional, albeit recommended, since you have the warning light (read the double meaning in that one).

"EGT is useless unless you want to tap all four cylinders. Junk information."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats all i used was a wideband and boost guage. Id like to get an oil pressure gauge just incase but you sorta have an oil pressure warning light already, the stock oil light, if you see that come on turn off the car asap. Its hard to read a gauge going down the track - the light is actually easier to notice.

liam
Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 AM

Default Re: absolutely necessary guages for boost? (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats all i used was a wideband and boost guage. Id like to get an oil pressure gauge just incase but you sorta have an oil pressure warning light already, the stock oil light, if you see that come on turn off the car asap. Its hard to read a gauge going down the track - the light is actually easier to notice.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

true, does anyone know how low the oil has to go for the light to turn on?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: absolutely necessary guages for boost? (slowredhybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowredhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

true, does anyone know how low the oil has to go for the light to turn on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

and does anyone have good expeirences with summitracing? prices are a lil cheaper than jeg's but im wondering how long they take for shipping?

Quick Reply: absolutely necessary guages for boost?