Notices

about to turbo for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to turbo for the first time

im about to turbo my first motor im going to start stock with a d16z6 . What i wanna know is if the gt28rs in a good turbo for single cam something that spools quick?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: about to turbo for the first time

For a stock motor, the GT28R would be a better turbo. If you intend to build the motor later, or get a swap, the GT28RS would be a great choice. It's just that it's an expensive turbo for your first build, and many inexperienced people trash their GT turbo because they have no idea about the proper oil feed pressure. To fix a bad GT center section, it would be $500-700.

For your first build, a 60trim T3 would be the best turbo. Rebuildable, cheap, and holds it's value well if you sell it later.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think a 60 trim would be a little big for a stock d16 and the first turbo build, it wouldnt spool as quick as you like.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not to shoot you down here, but why are you gonna spend that much money on a turbo, especially for an initial build on a stock motor?

size wise, its not a bad choice. other cheaper options include t3 50 or 60 trims with a .48 exhaust housing, a td05 etc... all those turbos will get your spool somewhere in the 3000-4000 rpm range which is more than acceptable
Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
not to shoot you down here, but why are you gonna spend that much money on a turbo, especially for an initial build on a stock motor?

size wise, its not a bad choice. other cheaper options include t3 50 or 60 trims with a .48 exhaust housing, a td05 etc... all those turbos will get your spool somewhere in the 3000-4000 rpm range which is more than acceptable
well my original plan was to get a T3/T04E 50 Trim Turbo but i was talking to a couple of friends who are a little more experienced and they told me to get that turbo. Im just trying to see whats best so ill just go with my original choice and change the exhaust housing a little
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a t3/t4 50 trim would be fine for your build. dont go spending a crazy amount of money then changing your setup later. make sure you know exactly what and how you want it then spend the money. it'll save you cash. i've spent to much changing things rather than just doing it the first time haha. just do lots of research. and you'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to homemadeturbo.com and check it out, plenty of awesome info on there,
i am doin a t25 build on a pretty much stock z6 as well, 8psi with a tune...as long as
u get a tune and have everything done rite ur good, it doesn't have to b name brand stuff
either like alota ppl say, just do ur research and u will save money and aggrivation in
the long run!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help guys im def gonna look around and research more before i boost the car
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM

yea i think you should get a t3/t4 50 trim turbo kit off ebay. it would be a good starting point and then upgrade later on as you wanna make more power.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy made 234hp and 180ft/lbs of torque on a completely stock D16 ZC Vtec, it has 260cc injectors right now, but he's putting some 450cc DSM's in it. He made that on 6psi. His turbo is an Xs Power 50 Trim.. i'll post his graphs and such, so you can get an idea from his d series turbo too. His car is on a street tune also.

Last edited by iamthefollower; 12-30-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The first pic is before he turbo'd it and the second is after he turbo'd it.
Attached Images    
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
The first pic is before he turbo'd it and the second is after he turbo'd it.
thats pretty much what im aiming for my manifold is an obx manifold im going to get it braced to strengthen it and then go from their. So should i get 450cc injectors also?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the tuner here just told him he would have more room to play around with on the fuel and everything if he had bigger injectors, so he got the ones he has on his motor right now, it falls on it's face around 6700rpms since the guy couldn't map the fuel more or anything, so he got the 450cc's just to be able to manage the fuel better and get it tuned better. So I would definately get some bigger injectors for your car and everything. He's also got it converted to Obd1 with a p28. He's going to get it tuned professionally a little later on so he should be looking at more power than just what he got from the street tune. I think it done very well for it to be street tuned and on 6psi.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
the tuner here just told him he would have more room to play around with on the fuel and everything if he had bigger injectors, so he got the ones he has on his motor right now, it falls on it's face around 6700rpms since the guy couldn't map the fuel more or anything, so he got the 450cc's just to be able to manage the fuel better and get it tuned better. So I would definately get some bigger injectors for your car and everything. He's also got it converted to Obd1 with a p28. He's going to get it tuned professionally a little later on so he should be looking at more power than just what he got from the street tune. I think it done very well for it to be street tuned and on 6psi.
okay thanks for the info your friend basically did the same thing i was gonna do street tune and later down the road upgrade more and get it dyno tuned
Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah see i might have to call bs on that 145 hp on a bone stock sohc vtec. even ones with bolt ons dont make that on a dyno. additionally 235hp on 6 psi is kinda steep.

has that setup ever gone to the track, or on a different dyno? not shooting you down, just trying to let the original poster know that those results and numbers are atypical
Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah see i might have to call bs on that 145 hp on a bone stock sohc vtec. even ones with bolt ons dont make that on a dyno. additionally 235hp on 6 psi is kinda steep.

has that setup ever gone to the track, or on a different dyno? not shooting you down, just trying to let the original poster know that those results and numbers are atypical

i agree as well, those power gains are a bit too generous.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20beast83
i agree as well, those power gains are a bit too generous.
ya, also agreed, my buddy has a built b16 on 6psi and only made 204whp
(147whp) before boost i believe
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, what I meant on completely stock was internally. Before he turbo'd the motor he had the basic bolt ons and also had a tune on it. He hasn't taken the car to the track with the turbo on it yet considering he just got it on about 2 and a half weeks ago. He is in college right now taking auto technician classes and they have the Dyno there. It hasn't gone to another dyno yet, but he is going to take it to a professional after he gets his z6 built and everything, I do however know that I asked him and he said he has the 5.7psi spring in his wastegate, but it has been boosting 8psi and everything... i'm guessing from the cold weather, but may be a different reason behind it. I think when it gets a little warmer he is going to put it back on his school dyno.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Three Tips...If it is your DD, then take the time to build your bottom end (unless low boost), get bigger injectors then you need for more boost down the line (i.e not 260cc^^^) and last get a great tune.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

not trying to diss but 234 is really high for only 6lbs. I had a stock z6 on 14.7lbs that made 235whp, cast iron log was the diff tho. had dsm injectors too. to make 145 whp on a na sohc you gotta do some serious work or have a really high reading dyno. I have a buddy who had a pretty much fully built sohc, jg ported head, huge crower cam..etc that made 142 sae.

ya, also agreed, my buddy has a built b16 on 6psi and only made 204whp
(147whp) before boost i believe

^thats terrible unless he has a greddy kit or something. I made 288whp on a stock b16 with gsr cams on 8lbs of boost, ram horn, 3"d.p.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
Three Tips...If it is your DD, then take the time to build your bottom end (unless low boost), get bigger injectors then you need for more boost down the line (i.e not 260cc^^^) and last get a great tune.
the 260's my friend had were before boosting, the tuner told him to get some bigger injectors, that's why he went and got the DSM 450's.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
not trying to diss but 234 is really high for only 6lbs. I had a stock z6 on 14.7lbs that made 235whp, cast iron log was the diff tho. had dsm injectors too. to make 145 whp on a na sohc you gotta do some serious work or have a really high reading dyno.
again, it was not WHP it was to the flywheel, I have already posted that it wasn't to the wheels. It was on the school dyno where he is in college...
Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont like dsm's because they are not new. I would send them out to get cleaned or something. If an injector fails say bye bye to that motor...
Old 01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
I dont like dsm's because they are not new. I would send them out to get cleaned or something. If an injector fails say bye bye to that motor...
Yeah, I found some that i'm going to put on my LSV turbo but i'm buying mine from a shop that has them cleaned with new filters and everything... he got his straight out of an eagle talon and he actually put them on today... He was wanting to throw them on right away and everything.. I understand what you're saying completely though.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I found out today that it wasn't 6psi it was 10psi on the dyno day... Sry Op for the wrong info.

Quick Reply: about to turbo for the first time